The horror of Undeath (Spoilers)

08/11/2018 08:57Posted by Arctur
Except that Derek was never a member of the Alliance and had nothing to do with the incident in the Stockades.

Wasn't he? But he was a commander of the third fleet of Kul Tiras during the Second War. Kul Tirans were a part of the Alliance at that time, having destroyed the orcs at the see two times already before that, I believe.

Or am I wrong?
Her actions here are so tragic considering her own past. Very few prominent WoW characters have had to suffer the way Sylvanas did under Arthas' control - being forced to destroy the people and homeland you fought valiantly to protect, being denied an actual death, or being forced to spend an eternity in a dark void when you actually try to end your life on your own terms.

That's why I still don't understand Sylvanas' actions. She has every right to be a misanthropic, nihilistic, and bitter creature, but to inflict it upon others is just tragic. I really wish they would stop doubling down on her obviously immoral actions, and give her some redeeming features, or some signs of empathy.

And as cheesy as a redemption/sacrifice story would be, it's a hell of a lot better than a Lich Queen timeline.
08/11/2018 09:34Posted by Doruma
Her actions here are so tragic considering her own past. Very few prominent WoW characters have had to suffer the way Sylvanas did under Arthas' control - being forced to destroy the people and homeland you fought valiantly to protect, being denied an actual death, or being forced to spend an eternity in a dark void when you actually try to end your life on your own terms.

That's why I still don't understand Sylvanas' actions. She has every right to be a misanthropic, nihilistic, and bitter creature, but to inflict it upon others is just tragic. I really wish they would stop doubling down on her obviously immoral actions, and give her some redeeming features, or some signs of empathy.

And as cheesy as a redemption/sacrifice story would be, it's a hell of a lot better than a Lich Queen timeline.

Its the position of Warchief... its cursed... the moment you take that position you become a cartoon villain or just die by a random mob the next day
08/11/2018 09:20Posted by Halasibel
Wasn't he? But he was a commander of the third fleet of Kul Tiras during the Second War. Kul Tirans were a part of the Alliance at that time, having destroyed the orcs at the see two times already before that, I believe.

Or am I wrong?

Which Alliance are you referring to? The Human Alliance during the Second War? Or the current Alliance, that is a sorry excuse for a military force?
08/11/2018 10:32Posted by Anthropea
08/11/2018 09:20Posted by Halasibel

Or am I wrong?

Which Alliance are you referring to? The Human Alliance during the Second War? Or the current Alliance, that is a sorry excuse for a military force?

I am not sure. Arctur stated that Derek was not a member of the Alliance.

But given his terrifyingly vast knowledge of all matters human, I suppose he knew exactly what he was talking about.

Might be, Derek was part of the Alliance back then, but never a member of our Happy Rainbow Friends Club :)

Well, his loss!

By the way, I wear an eyepatch because the Alliance's cuteness melted my eye.
The Alliance of Lordaeron is no more, it fell when King Terenas was murdered and the city destroyed, its remnants finally annihilated with the tragic death of Garithos.

The Grand Alliance was founded upon the ideals of the previous faction but it is clearly a different faction, based in Stormwind and no longer Lordaeron. Derek was never a member of this Alliance.
Derek was a member of the Human Alliance during the Second War (where he was supposedly burnt to a crisp). He is NOT a member of the current Alliance. Just to make things clear.
Thanks for the clarification both of you :)
And what happened in between? Dont you yourself wonder"wait I was alive seconds ago, now I am a living corpse?" "dude you were dead for decades" "WHAT! That cant be! Where is heaven I was promised! Where was my Soul in the meantime! There was nothing!" <- thats a deep dilemma I really want them to have, a crisis.

Tbh I almost immediately thought of that when I saw the cinematic. Like, I understand that there's of course a terrific initial shock when you realize you 've been brought back from death and now occupy your rotting corpse. But when some time passes, don't you start thinking like "wtf, i was dead for decades, why was i not in [wow's equivalent] heaven or hell or whatever? Did i simply not exist? And if i didn't exist, how can i say that it was better (or worse) than what's now?".
08/11/2018 12:09Posted by Brintellix
And what happened in between? Dont you yourself wonder"wait I was alive seconds ago, now I am a living corpse?" "dude you were dead for decades" "WHAT! That cant be! Where is heaven I was promised! Where was my Soul in the meantime! There was nothing!" <- thats a deep dilemma I really want them to have, a crisis.

Tbh I almost immediately thought of that when I saw the cinematic. Like, I understand that there's of course a terrific initial shock when you realize you 've been brought back from death and now occupy your rotting corpse. But when some time passes, don't you start thinking like "wtf, i was dead for decades, why was i not in [wow's equivalent] heaven or hell or whatever? Did i simply not exist? And if i didn't exist, how can i say that it was better (or worse) than what's now?".

I hope they will touch upon this. Because he is one of the few that actually was dead for a really long time before becoming a forsaken. All others pretty much died and where brought back instantly/ after a short time.

That could be a think for the NE forsaken. realizing they dont go to elune or somewhere they believe in death. Being shocked by that they decide to stay undead
Somewhere, in the Shadowlands, the spirit of Daelin Proudmoore is probably thinking "Looking at what the Horde did to my son... I regret NOTHING".

Man, this expansion is really proving that Daelin Proudmoore was right.
08/11/2018 13:33Posted by Arctur
Somewhere, in the Shadowlands, the spirit of Daelin Proudmoore is probably thinking "Looking at what the Horde did to my son... I regret NOTHING".

Man, this expansion is really proving that Daelin Proudmoore was right.

You know about the phenomenon that you try to prevent something with all your force and at the end you are the cause of said "something"?

If I claim a dog bites and is bad even if he didnt bite me, and start poking him all day long, eventually he will bite me, making my claim somehow true...
08/11/2018 14:11Posted by Xiaopaw
You know about the phenomenon that you try to prevent something with all your force and at the end you are the cause of said "something"?

The term for that is “Self-fulfilling Prophecy”.

Happened a lot in WoW. Specially regarding why certain races joined the Horde faction.
08/11/2018 14:51Posted by Zarao
The term for that is “Self-fulfilling Prophecy”.

Yeah thats the term. A bit overused in literature and time travelling stuff lately.
07/11/2018 14:53Posted by Taxania
While the old guard might serve Sylvanas no matter what she becomes, my prediction is that this new blood will be the foundation of a new Forsaken without Sylvanas once BFA does away with her, something that seems more and more likely with every spoiler we get access to. But that's all this is, a prediction.

This is going slightly off topic, but as Forsaken fan, do you find that prediction agreeable?

My girlfriend played as a Forsaken priest, and after talking with her about it, she fully agrees with you that this might be a plausible prediction for the Forsaken story. And one of the reasons she quit.
This is her opinion. But I must admit she loved the theme the Forsaken had back in Wrath and even Cata, with special emphasis on this speech:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbpt7XwAFF0

I’m curious about the opinion of another Forsaken player such as yourself.

Edit: Typos and corrections
08/11/2018 15:12Posted by Zarao
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbpt7XwAFF0

*undead heart starts pumping again*

For the dark lady! For Sylvanas!

*becomes a Panda again*

huh? What happened?
Relevant, especially given Sylvanas' speech upon raising Derek:

https://i.redd.it/iy4z5800s8x11.png
09/11/2018 13:19Posted by Arctur

Damn straight, the Ebon Blade has nothing to do with those undead spoiling our good name with the living.

08/11/2018 15:12Posted by Zarao
I’m curious about the opinion of another Forsaken player such as yourself.

I went there on a Nightborne Mage alt recently. A solid 5/10 Warcrimes rating. 1 being Tirion and 10 being Azshara/Archie-mond.
09/11/2018 13:19Posted by Arctur
Relevant, especially given Sylvanas' speech upon raising Derek:

Is your player stuck on repeat?
You are becoming really monotonous... like backround static noise.
Always there, always the same, always irritating
Damn straight, the Ebon Blade has nothing to do with those undead spoiling our good name with the living.

Speaking of which, why are Horde Death Knights even in the Horde? It's not like they just infiltrated the former capital "city" of the Horde and freed Sylvanas' "toy" Koltira.