The meta is making some classes/specs unplayable

So here’s the thing, in vanilla classic a lot of specs literally weren’t viable and I’m fine with that.

TBC on the other hand, specs are all viable, especially at the level of skill and optimisation people are at nowadays (I mean who struggled to clear Kara?)

So I’m a bit frustrated to see people only wanting prot paladins, mages, warlocks, shamans and hunters. Sure they’re better, but the thing is all content is clearable with pretty much every spec these days.

I’m a feral tank and I’m already constantly being benched by my guild, which is making me quickly realise that I won’t be able to play TBC classic unless I change character.

Will probably give up on the game soon because the meta has made the game in a state where only a few classes actually get to play with the very few healers that still remain.

Am I the only one frustrated by all this? In original TBC I had no problem getting into raids as a feral tank and even dps, but now everyone only wants specific classes.

Here I was thinking feral tank would finally be viable again (the spec I’ve played since original TBC for 15+ years and didn’t take in classic vanilla since it wasn’t a thing back then) but I guess min maxing killed that.

6 Likes

So what you are saying is that your guild is garbage and have no idea what they are doing? Time to find a better guild.

35 Likes

How many tanks do you have in the guild,is there already a druid tank?Druids are great,you also want one of each,dru/warr/pala in 25man

Well, maybe, but I gave a look at my server’s discord and none of the guilds are recruiting tanks. It seems so many people switched to the meta prot paladins that now there’s a too big tank population and not enough healers. This one isn’t exactly people’s fault I guess, but it’s still a problem.

Basically as things are, I’m not sure how I’m going to get into consistent raids. And it will get worse as the gear gap increases between meta classes who got raid groups and those who don’t get them as much

Feral tanks might be the best tanks in TBC. Find a guild that will appreciate you.

3 Likes

Feral tanks are amazing in TBC. Your guild is run by idiots if they bench you because you’re not a paladin.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say they want shamans I play enhance and majority of the time they want ranged DPS only or aoe DPS as for tanks they usually take what they can get but then moan about druids and warriors because they can’t tank everything

1 Like

You’re outscaling plate boys after T4, and it’s only getting better… Protpaladins are trash tanks (not an offense, but they’re most thought for because of trash tanking). It’s arguably optimal to have protpal healing on bosses. And protwars are just mediocre except once in 30 minutes.

Anyway, there’s a room for every tank in TBC. And if anyone should complain, it’s not ferals.

You’re drawing conclusions way too quick, after being rejected in some entry raid by likely clueless people.

1 Like

Of course you had no problems.

Back in the days, not many knew about metas and such. If they had all the information we have today, it would of been exactly the same.

This is not a “copy/paste” experience as with the original TBC. Is just a …“copy/paste” game-play. That’s it.

1 Like

Wait, do you actually think that prot paladins are better than feral druids for tanking raids?

1 Like

I know, but that’s the thing, all this content can be done with all classes. As long as you play well. Maybe later tiers can be harder, but I’m sure skill and gear can compensate for not having the best classes.

It’s kind of a shame that just because people now know that there’s a meta, they’re taking it to the extreme. It somewhat mattered in vanilla because some classes were really not viable, but in TBC they all are.

1 Like

There is no Prot paladin Meta for raids. Our MT is feral and a prot warrior.

I wonder how on earth we were able to do SSC,Hyjal and BT with Prot pala as main tank.
It’s almost as it doesn’t matter…

2 Likes

Maybe it would help if you discuss it with your raidleaders, show evidence of feral tanks being great later on in TBC in raids (I’ve heard this quite a few times so I’m guessing there must be some proof lying around) and that it would help enormously if you could start gearing now instead of by that time?

I wish for your sake they’d just let you tank because you enjoy it and it’s perfectly viable but unfortunately it sounds like that might not be persuasive enough. Perhaps proof of the advantage in the future to the raidteam would help.

Still sucks tho, can imagine it’s frustrating and demotivating.

Find a better guild king, dont quit because some nerds cant finish a +7 on retail and trying to force prot paladins in tbcc. idk what server you on/faction but i can guarantee that there are others who wouldnt bench you because of that

I’d suggest another guild as well but unfortunately finding a tank spot in already existing raidteams can be a major hassle :frowning:

Well I don’t know the meta from private servers but I played a druid tank in original tbc and I never had problems with threat and I’m sure I had something like 17k hp crazy amount of dodge and armor like 40k or something (can’t remember exact value) honestly the amount of dodge alone makes them a great tank they can soak alot of damage too they are great tanks

welcome to the reason classic tbc will never be as good as TBC was…

the players are different now… they only know how to follow metas… they dont like the think outside the box and do things differently…

they find a guide… they do the guide… if you arent part of that guide you will have a bad time… classic is a massive failure it should never exist in 2021… it was great in the old days with the players who had the right mentality for its design… but now it is destined to be nothing more than a GOGOGO push fest to min/max land.

3 Likes

Did I said that ?!?

It has not much to do with your class - more so with your guild situation?
In my guild for example, we have too many healers, some of them even respecced into moonkin because of that…

I think you could also advertise your flexibility. You are a druid, you can do all roles so it should be easy to find a spot?