The reason why Kindling was nerfed

Hi mages, while we’re all unhappy with recent tweak that happened to mage class, i’m personally fine with IC conduit, Flamestrike, and Flame patch nerfs it’s all it’s just a scaling tweak but Kindling nerf means almost 30% - 33% nerf, Yes 0.5 is quite a lot and might not be able to pull another combustion on the next pack.

It looks like the main reason is there’s a trinket that drops from the next raid called * Scrawled Word of Recall * and what does it do is when used is " " Use: Reset or Lower the cooldown of a spell you already cast, picked by spec." " copied from Wowhead. it says " Equip " and " Use " on the bottom it’s not clear how to use it and we’ll soon find out.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Limit Max talked about this in his latest vid, according to some of his sources combust can still be a 1 min cd even with the nerf to kindling by stacking a bit more crit.

1 Like

There a conduit empowerment system in 9.1 and IC would been too much. Also a 3rd conduit slot that fire has really strong choices for where most specs struggle for 2 good conduits.

I went to test this on the PTR on my fire mage.

It’s current gear is 224, so not that great, and on live i get usually 60-65s for combustion, however on ptr it’s more like 70-75. Keep in mind that is current gear, so once we get more gear and DotG scaling, i think we will be back to 60s combustion.

And while a nerf is never good, i think it won’t really affect too much, because if you got below 60s combust, you anyways just waited for your trinket, so in the end it would have just made it more consistent, but likely not made any difference to the damage profile in practice.

That is if we’re still gonna be using badge.

Overall i think the IC nerf was the most outrageous by itself. It’s fair for aoe, but the ST nerf from that is dumb. It would have been fine if they nerfed IC, but buffed pyro damage by 10% to make it a net neutral on ST, but we’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

There’s a conduit empowerment system coming in 9.1 apparently and IC is one of the most powerful conduits in game. If its a %multiplier on the conduit then it likely had to be nerfed. Also the third conduit slot will be a big buff to our ST (or aoe) where most specs 3rd conduits are very weak.

1 Like

yeh I guess we’ll either use the pyro or flamestrike conduit for the 3rd potency depending on what content you’re doing. I hope they get rid of the stupid conduit energy system in 9.1 tho.

Not Sure we’re gonna See the Conduit Empowerement System in 9.1 at least there are No Signs of it on the PTR yet except for new ranks of existing conduits and Expanded soulbinds, so i wouldnt Hold my breath for it. Regarding the nerfs, they are justified atleast the AoE ones, right now im kinda concerned about our Single target, Fire already is Middle of the Pack on ST (which is absolutely fine, since our AoE is Bonkers) but we shouldnt Forget that alot of CN Bosses are extremely favorable for Fires DMG Profile and so far what i have Seen and Tested on the PTR the Fights dosn’t favor Fire AS much (kinda glad, but also concerned, because Fire probably stays the best for high m+ and If Frost/arcane is better in RAID the covenant System really gonna screws me there…)

I actually thought it was already on the ptr but a bit underwhelming. Comparing my conduits on ptr and live the ptr ones had higher values at the same ilvl in some blue writing which made me believe they are empowered.

my thought is mage is getting nerfed based on nightfae performance, night fae is not getting nerfed, 90% of mages play nightfae, blizzard is incompetent, end of the story.

They buffed the other covenants and nerfed the spec :man_shrugging: same thing

what buffs, kyrian got almost nothing, necro got nothing, and im not sure venthyr got a buff, or just the leggendary that changes mirror of torment, and even with all these changes night fae is still by far the best covenant in terms of damage, actives, passives, and survaiability

passive shield, extra damage, 2 best actives, self regent and extra blinks, pod etc

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/mage-class-changes-in-patch-9-0-5

Mage Covenant Ability Changes

From 9.0.5. NF is best for Fire but it’s not best for Arcane raiding anymore. The soulbinds have new abilities in 9.1 too but I haven’t looked at them.

amounts to nothiong, spark dmg is noexistant, actually more harmful than anything

deathborne cd is 3 minutes and has a cast time of 1.5
mirror can be diseplled and cd is 1.50, damage noexistant.
clearcasting is bugged and gives you a different buff, and gets consumed with arcane explosions even tho you can get the talent that is supposed to fix that, but doesn’t work.

9.1 just add more to the same, nf is still gonna sit on top, might not be the best for NF, but for pvp they are all kinda useless.

For frost at least playing Deathborne in pvp is extremely powerful. Ice form + Deathborne + Freezing Winds legendary gives instant burst which is enough to kill a healer without using interrupts.

The damage is extremely high.

Buut you need Triune Ward in PvP and this is a 3 minute cd…

Its a bit of a trade off tbh. Yes Triune Ward is important, but:

Frozen orb doesn’t need to actually hit someone to generate procs with Freezing Winds. It just needs to be active. Which means you have a nice UNINTERRUPTIBLE burst every 45 seconds which will make your target go defensive play and probably use defensive CDs as well. If you use Ice Form on top of that you get immune to stuns as well which will make your target go defensive and DEFINITELY use defensive CDs.

After you’ve burnt your target’s cds, and since every crit while Ice Form is active is lowering Ice Forms CD you can burst with Orb + Deathborne + Ice Form to score your kill.

Beleive me, the damage output is ridiculous. Especially if you play a hard CC comp so you can use RoP instead of Incanter’s flow you pretty much delete your target in 5 seconds.

Sure, it might be but I doubt it’s worthwhile when you’ll just get eaten alive without triune.

You just change your playstyle. Instead of tanking damage, you use blink, novas, interrupt, and slows. All of which are instant.

You cannot possibly avoid all the damage in an arena match. Melee have way too many gap closers, casters have way too much instant stuff, stun setups exist.

Having triune makes all the difference in PvP, early into the season getting it made me jump up by about 100-200 rating.

i doubt you can solo a healer without interrupt, i doubt you can solo a healer with interrupt, game isn’t designed like that, you can kill people who do not know what deathborne/iceform is. it wont work twice, it was the same with firemage, people just got accustomed to his rotation and burst mechanic, add the nerfs on infernal cascade, and right now fire is only played to trrade cds, it rarely kills something by himself, its just helped alot by rogue ccs and dmg, or ww/retri/feral/warrior damage

you pop ur combust, they instant bubble, or ps or smth, u farm next combustion and repeat this process until myou caught them off guard, or in a cc, or they got no more defs, and that the kill, all teh while staying alive thanks to triune ward

lame imo