The State of PvP when gearing

I will make this as short as I possibly can.

I think we can all agree that random battlegrounds are virtually impossible for those who aren’t geared.

Gear takes weeks to get… possibly even months if you’re a casual player.

Why not create BGs based on your ilevel/gear?

The toon I’m trying to gear right now has ilevel 235 with 3 ilevel 242 pvp items.

Shouldn’t I queue with similar people? Not with people in full Conquest?

17 Likes

Ideally, yes.

It still baffles me how someone dreamt up, created & released this system, thinking it was good.
(well, it probably is good, when you already know you’re going to get a decent rating & don’t have to concern yourself with the plight of casuals, newbs, lowbies, returning players, alts etc).

I’d guess because:
It would split the playerbase.
Queue times would increase massively.
The point of massive disparity is to lord it over scrubs. (“what’s the point of gear progression if I don’t get to insta-squish players!?”)

Naturally, players abandon the game because they don’t even get to play their char because they’ve been set-up for failure.
Then some bright spark claims Devs really need to listen to the highest rated players in the game to find out ‘what’s wrong’ with PvP. And as it turns out, ‘nothing’ is wrong (when you’re BiS & top-of-your-game)

60’s BGs are less demoralising if you play with a group.
But if it’s a ~balanced BG you seek, you could try party-syncing into lower brackets (which will likely require a permanent string of friends levelling through them), or wait & hope Dragonflight will be better.
*…or do like everyone else who’s abandoned WoW & hop into literally any other PvP game.

3 Likes

I do not pvp because I have no pvp gear, and I can’t bother too collect 2 sets of gear :bear:

1 Like

I do not PvP because Honour gear is garbage (by design), I insta-die every time I set foot in front of someone & I don’t even get to play my char.
Why am I paying for this garbage experience when I can pick-up-&-play a game that’s actually fun? :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

-most of the players who left.
Probably.

5 Likes

Blizzard should just implement WoD-like gearing next patch and be done with this madness.
Separate brakets based on item level would not fix the problem.

“Arena partecipation is low; how do we increase partecipation?
Should we make Arena more enjoyable?
-Nope, let’s force players to play it instead!”
This is most likely what Blizzard tought.
Needless to say this gearing progression increases WoW Token sales…

Blizzard has done this a lot over the years.
Another example of this is Torghast: instead of adding replayability to the game mode they decide to gate player power behind it.

6 Likes

I hope the Token sales were worth all the lost subs & non-returning players.

If their philosophy isn’t to make an enjoyable gaming experience, but rather to extract every penny possible out of players, they don’t deserve any new sales/subs.

Even though DF looks to ‘right the wrongs’ of PvP gearing, I’m tempted to just wash my hands of it.

4 Likes

Will be good to see how the PvP gear all same ilvl works out in 10.

1 Like

I’d say you have 2+1 ways atm if you wanna gear your alts with the least sanity loss possible.
A) Do epic BGs. In 40v40 it’s less impactful if a few folks have low gear than it is in 10v10/15v15. You will still get crushed if they jump/pick you but the same would happen in other PvP instances as well.
B) Wait for a BG bonus week or Comp Stomp (Brawl) and make the most if.

+1) Dress up from AH or PvE, 240ish gear should be pretty cheap on most servers by now, or you can grind Zereth Mortis to get some 240+ gear, or do Mythic+ if your stomach acid can withstand the SL dungeons.

Best option is to party sync into 51-59 bracket. Everyone has roughly the same item level & HP, and honor rewards are the same. Only downside is you won’t get conquest or cosmic flux, but it is perfect for getting your honor starter set.

Right now in the 60s bracket, due to this bursty one-shot meta, it is almost impossible to be useful if you don’t have good gear. Playing say a fury warrior with 45k hp means you’re just going to be 2-shot everytime you enter combat - you don’t even get a chance to use some of your spells.

At least in the past, even with poor gear you could be a nuisance and CC / interrupt key targets. Now you just get one-shot the moment you enter combat.

2 Likes

That’s what Blizzard thinks because they only listen to Gladiator players that participate in their terrible tournaments.
There never was a season that had a huge number of players when gear became an issue because it was locked either by rating (like in BC) or too big ilvl differences.
The most successful expansions pvp wise where MoP and WoD, both had simple gearing options.
MoP had vendors with honor gear and vendors with conquest gear. The ilvl difference between those were small so gear didn’t matter as much.
WoD hat the, imho, best system where pvp gear scaled higher than pve gear in pvp environments and you just had to farm it once.

8 Likes

Current of state of item level in casual pvp is just sad, just level up my warrior to 60 and finished campain and it has 240 ilvl i feel i cannot really do anything to other players and i just have to hope my team can carry it.
And on this classic rogue im posting on when i was level 55 i went into AV i fought a warrior with thunferfury and some tier 2 pieces and i felt i could more againts that warrior then i can do on anyone else on retail on my 240 ilvl warrior

9 Likes

Blizzard knows that WoW has a huge amount of players that will never quit either because they are addicted or because they are very passionate for this game.
They prey on costumers that will likely spend a lot of money, such as “whales”, hardcore fans and -most importantly- people that have addiction problems.

It sounds bad but it is not uncommon behaviour from such corporations.
Almost every videogame strife to make their players addicted.
What -in my opinion- is terrible about Blizzard is that they have intentionally been giving fake hope to their playerbase for years.

Remember that Blizzard has to make money (and rightfully so, to a certain extent), it’s not like they don’t know what a huge part of the playerbase wants; it’s just that they are not interested in that particular part of the community because it is not as profitable as cathering to addicted players and “whales”.

There is a reason Blizzard keeps adding convoluted systems every expansion and lot’s of time-gated content such as this PvP gearing progression that goes hand in hand with boosting.
I could give more example of this:

• Weekly RNG Vault and Chest;
  • Overtuned Mage-Tower with absolutely horrendous scaling;
  • Legion Legendary RNG system that they then “fixed” after a while by implementing a vendor;
  • Corruption RNG that, again, they “fixed” by adding a vendor;
  • Covenant and Legendary System in Shadowbland that got “fixed” because they obviously “hear you loud and clear™” and obviously they learnt from their mistakes, because you know, who could have ever imagined the playerbase wouldn’t have liked such a boring and long, yet necessary grind… right? RIGHT!? /Sarcasm

And i could go on for a while.
Meanwhile players stay subbed because “It might get better tomorrow…” and fear of missing out.

8 Likes

I’m just laughing hysterically🤣 healing in bgs and rbgs? …craziest healing I’ve ever done… hp bars just sailing all over the place, from the top to the bottom at a frightening speed… staying alive is at this point more luck than skill

Didn’t think they could possibly break this more than they already did… but they could and it amazes me… just how?! :joy:

Can’t take it serious anymore… I just can’t… rng game…

A large part of the gameplay just seems like a rly weird joke…

1 Like

Takes an alt apps 20hrs /played a Lvl 60 (starting gear 190 apr so) to get full honor gear + some conquest stuff + 2x 291 leggos. Even if you play 2hrs a day, that’s far from “weeks”.
If pvp skills were any better you can probably upgrade to ilvl 275+ super quick. Currently, 3 days after the char was made (haven’t logged on for 3 days either) its stuck at 273. The limit is not time but my rated pvp skills. 1400 is easily achievable by rbgs

2 Likes

I’ve been back playing maybe just over a month on this account and I have 3 characters all at 264ish ilvl with 33-35% vers.
What do you mean virtually impossible?

1 Like

Some guys expect full gear from x1 bg.

1 Like

I got an idea, how about giving everyone free base pvp set gear so they can start and farm conquest points for epic gear?

Or, add an equal ilvl for everyone in random bgs?

I dont care what other will think of me, whoever thought that the MOP equal gear system was bad should be permanently banned and never be able to play a game again, or even vote. You ruined pvp. Now a pvp trinket oneshots ZM geared people. Good job.

5 Likes

That’s just not true. You need to get over 80k honor alone to upgrade your honor gear to max. A bg loss is 150 honor and takes you 10-15 minutes.
So, even if you use your game time exclusively for bg that is not gonna work out.

And in all that time you are full useless for your group. There is nothing you can do except for being a oneshot meatshield.

1 Like

Boy, do i have some good news for you about DragonFlight

1 Like

And that is over one year away. Hooray, I guess.

2 Likes