They say Sylvanas serves Death. What does that mean, though?

the death enity is just a hooded ion his already killed the lore and we’re next

My personal headcanon is that she sees herself as Death, or on her way to becoming the sole entity representing the cosmic force of Death.

A stretch, I know, but my view is that she intends to become what she cannot avoid.

1 Like

Sylvanas is simply cheating Death (out of his souls by attaching them to corpses in the corporeal realm)

1 Like

It means that even Blizzard doesn’t know what it means yet.

They’re just writing it so it remains a mystery so they can “WOW” us once they decide on the story direction.
It’s why they’ve made it so open for people to speculate what it means.

Sylvanas the Nihilist

Lets establish who Sylvanas is to gain her motivation…
Sylvanas is a Nihilist, first Existentially, and then Morally so.

Arthas proved to her that her existence had no meaning. She fought him and yet was raised to do his bidding. When she broke free, she wasn’t returned to life. She had freedom but no meaning to exist except to kill him. This ‘meaning’ was then also taken away when Arthas fell at Icecrown. Upon death she enter nothingness, even death had no respite proving that her entire existence was meaningless: an nihilistic one.

Helya’s deal breaks Sylvanas’ connection to the Forsaken and leads her further down the path to Nihilism

Her deal with Helya is also influential because this is Sylvanas’ second turn towards Nihilism when she realised that there is nothing that she can do for the Forsaken and that the Val’kyr can only prolong ‘life’ not end the nothingness that she felt upon Death.

The hope to control Eyir was a failure. She cannot create more Val’kyr to preserve her own life and the Forsaken. This only further confirms her existential nihilism. The Val’kyr were only ever a temporary solution anyway.

Helya, the Lich King and Bwonsamdi are only intermediaries of death. They only deal in Souls and there is a higher power. Bwonsamdi confirms this during the Vol’jin questline:

‘No! No! Impossible. Da boss* ain’t gonna like dis. Ol’ Bwonsamdi not been losin’ a spirit in… oh, dis be bad’…
*the boss is gender neutral here

(Sidenote: Which other spirit did Bwonsamdi loose? Sylvanas perhaps!?! *shrugs)

Sylvanas rejects everything and everyone in BFA

So Sylvanas has rejected leadership of the Horde and Forsaken now, and says we are all ‘nothing’, stating the one truth to her nihilistic existence. She has used the Horde to get Azerite and used both the Horde and Alliance to release N’Zoth which empowered her somehow (yet to be revealed, however might be derived from dealings with Helya).

Now, she seeks dominion over Death itself, the big boss Death that Bwonsamdi fears. This is why Bwonsamdi is so afraid of her.

She doesn’t seek to either replace a Soul tending figure such as Helya, the Lich King or Bwonsamdi by using the Blade of the Black Empire… she wants to go one step further. Where is that ? That is Death itself.

Sylvanas Serves Death
Now here’s the kicker that’s going to isolate the NE playerbase even further…

Death is Elune.
Elune is both Life and Death

Sylvanas figured this out when she held the piece of Azerite. Azeroth is the child of Elune. ‘This changes everything…’ because now Sylvanas has a way to harm Elune.

This is the macro rationality behind the sacking of Teldrassil (the NE symbol for immortality). Don’t forget that Sylvanas was a high elf, the High Elves originally rejected Night Elves and Elune. … and control of the Azerite gives her access to weapons powerful enough to take out Death (Elune) herself.

“You cannot kill hope”
“Can’t I?”

Elune is the hope that Sylvanas seeks to kill.
The ultimate Nihilist payoff.

The Void is Sylvanas’ pathway to Elune. Through corrupting Elune’s child, the void will bring Elune directly into the picture giving Sylvanas the opportunity that she wants: to ‘serve death’ to Death itself.

“reasn to be bad”? What do you mean about it? I only wrote about her reason to take over some part of realm of death to be her own, which makes sense for someone who fears her own end.

It’s not something that is commonly known. Only those who stayed close to Vol’Jin could be aware of it. As only then shred of mystery was revealed.

Well we don’t know about it, but in case of Sylvanas if this is indeed truth it could be that she was set to be the pawn.

Saronite is a material created from Yogg’Saron’s blood.

1 Like

I thing they gave a toy that replys your question

Yes, and it makes sense.

One theory is that crossing to the other side and returning, whether there is any kind of existential crisis or you glimpsed something from the other side, its possible for that to “change you”. Make no mistake as our mentality is built upon the unknown of death, if it suddenly becomes “known” it can definately dramatically change how you perceive the world.

Second, its social factors. Like how the Alliance hunted the Forsaken. In this case its more how such Undead are rejected by society (well half of it) which can lead to frustration, negative feelings overall, or even in extremes disregard for “the living” .

I guess Sylvannas experienced abit of both and thats why she is deep into negative attitude now. But since she glimpsed something on the other side, and hence knows something we dont, its why she considers herself “wise” actually.

If you could see yourselves as I see you…

1 Like

It is well estadlised in the lore of the game. When Forsakens got their free will they became Arthas most loyal subjects.

1 Like

In the end Sylvanas will acquire all the Infinity Gems and snap half of the Warcraft Universe out of existence and and complete her service to Death.

1 Like

Ahhh, comicbook-Thanos, not MCU-Thanos, trying to impress Lady Death, clever!

I think there’s a lot of confusion (including in myself) about the roles of the different cosmic powers in the Warcraft universe. In it there is a distinct difference between death and undeath and between what death “wants” and what chaos “wants”. OP made a fair point how was death different between Chaos (Sargeras) if they both wanted to “just kill 'em all”. But that’s not exactly what Sargeras wanted.

Death “want’s” living things to… well die. Because in that universe when a living thing die it doesn’t seize to exist, it just transitions to the realm of death, aka shadowlands. Those things can in many cases be brought back as either resurrected to their former selves or be brought back as “undead” through some sort of necromancer magic. And here’s the 1st difference - the dead are still existing in the realm of death, while the undead are existing in the realm of life.

As far as Sargeras (Chaos) goes, he didn’t just want to “kil 'em all”. What he wanted and what Chaos is striving for is to remove everything from existence. The purpose of Sargeras was to leave nothing behind that can be corrupted while Chaos is just about “leave nothing behind”.
So does this interfere to the all “void is scared of death” thing? I don’t think so. Especially if “death” is indeed harder to or unable to be corrupted.

Well you may try to do that, but you wont be trying for long when those who you want to save quickly turn after you and want to burn you to a crisp. That’s why the undead on Azeroth are either in the Horde or in some neutral factions. The Alliance used to hunt them down and try to exterminate them.

1 Like

When did this happen exactly? Could you provide me with some sources?

2 Likes

Don’t you remember the Holy State of Southshore, led by God-Emperor Garithos? He hunted down the forsaken for many years, until he was finally defeated during the Battle of Southshore at the end of the Human Genocide of the Forsaken conflict (onset of the Cataclysm).

5 Likes

while we are re-writing history i also remember poor unarmed admiral proudmore who only wanted to rescue his daughter to be cut down by warmonger thrall and his vile executioner rexxar

I thought we were rewriting history?

but that’s clearly not what happen in the rts

Shh. It is. It’s just that history is written by the victors and Daelin lost that war.

1 Like

With the way this story currently is I wouldn’t even mind if Thrall would actually confess to this in a later patch. Or maybe the writers will save it for expac after next when it’s time to fight each other again.

I think the plot is quite deep, something that has already started in Cataclysm, Sylvanas is most likely not in command to the fullest, her self, she more or less the catalyst for things to come, Sylvanas do serve death but who this Death is, we do not know.

it could be bownsambdi, but I doubt that, he has a master, and this master is most likely the one Sylvanas also serves, this would meen Bownsambdi and Sylvanas has been working toghether for quite some time to gather a force.

This force most likely consists of many high end characters, all they way from cataclysm maby even neltharion, though unlikely.

atleast theese I think I do server death now, unvillingly or buy choise.

Varian Wryn, yes he died at broken shore, but his soul did not, Sylvanas got him in some way or the other, this meens it was her plan all along to get him killed there, plausible but unlikely though.

Voljin, he was supposed to serve death for sure, but someone saved his soul, before it could happen, this also meen it was bownsamdi who did talk to him about making sylvanas warchief, even if he denies it.

Rastakhan, no brainer here, he do serve death now, bownsamdi did se to that, and Talanji is next in line to join.

Saurfang, probably also now, he got hit buy sylvanas shadow magic and due to this he most likely is also serving death now, probably brainwashed to some extent to do so.

Azhara, she is also, that is pretty much confirmed to some extent, and that also meens it was not N´zoth who saved her, but someone else, if she does it villingy is doubtful, she most likely feels betrayed, and she is alive also, would not be supriced if she becomes an allie soon atleast for a while.

Neltharion, in theory this is possible but I do doubt it my self, but oh god would death have a strong allies there, whit Neltharion, nefarian and onyxia.

there is most likely even more know characters by now serving death, like Fandral Staghelm, Gul´dan (doubt it but who knows), Elisande, maby even Tyrande indirectly she doesnt know it. I would include Garrosh, but he got turned in to stone, what most likely can be reversed meening he could be alive again one day instead.
Arthas is possible, but doubtfull, due to his father saving his sould, unless his dady worked for the death already, but dont think so.