To all the Horde Forsaken!

The other day I have seen a thread with the messege along the lines “How bad should Horde forsaken should feel betraying Sylvanas”. This is quite interesitng topic and deserves its own discussion.

To start off, lets actually remember how Forsaken came to be - After Arthas lost chunk of his power, he lost control over part of his Scourge. This was when Sylvanas gathered up bunch of Banshees to plan a coupe on rogue Prince of Lordaeron. Failing to do so she decided to search for more feral scourge - offerinf them to make a man, who brought this distruction and suffering, pay for his crimes. Those found were offered a choice, choice to fight on or to be left alone and their fate in their hands. Hunted by humans and filled with Vengence, many joined in. It was an willing alliance. Thats where the free will concept came to be.

During Vanilla Forsaken joined the Horde and have been known for their own notorious ways. Their seclusion has ended and more even in TBC forsaken were 1st ones to communicate with Elves and bring them in fold. Overall the race made perfect sense and they had a purpose. For all the crap ways of life they had to put up, they were fine with Sylvanas’ politics as she was strong and their vengence on Arthas was matter of time.

But after Wotlk that all changed. They have achieved what they wanted in their undeath. There was no more actual purpose for the people of Forsaken.

Thats when Sylvanas new arc started - live as long as she can, create more forsaken and avoid death. It was in early Cata when she got the Valkyr and started to multiply her army. Aggressively attack Gilneas. Basically became Arthas on a smaller scale.

Then there is question I ask - why would a Forsaken (unless Sylvanas fanatic) would want to spread more suffering that in they experienced in the 1st hand. Until now they were fighting to stop a man who was ultimate incarnation of Death magic and now they do same thing.

Seemed that not everyone was on board with that plan as seen in BtS. There are some forskaen with free will who wanted more peacful ways, to end the constant vengeful ways. In that book it was 1st times when Sylvanas revealed her intentions towards forsaken. She was purposely killing their hope in order to keep them in the fold. She went against their Free Will, cornerstone of their racial fantasy. She would lose chunk of their numbers if they realised that there was still hope and other ways to live on, then following Sylvanas to the ends of the Azeroth. This devide, has started way back in Wotlk when she used her people as “Arrows in her quiver”. With BFA she kept on hammering that idea that there is no hope to NEs, to Saurfang, because of what she has seen in her death at Icecrown. We know that even in death undead experience feelings and Sylvanas has forsaken to feel anything after the Garroshs trail, which seemingly wasnt the case for Forsaken. She did not attach herself to nothing and nowone and when she snapped “Horde is nothing” that glance from that female forsaken was enough to realise she Sylvanas wasnt on same page as all her people. Exposed in front of whole Horde, she takes off.

So with this mambo jambo I just wanted to say that this devide has been a thing for many expansions and it has to do with Free Will, which just came to an end in BFA. It was as much as her fault this came to be. She tried to control them and use them for her own goals, when originally those Forsaken joined her willingly. With hope that she would lead them to victory. But then again, Sylvanas is an enemy of hope it seems.

So for all the Forsaken who decided to stay in Horde, good job and good luck in finding your way!

Peace!

5 Likes

I don’t think you are giving the birth of the Forsaken as much credit as it deserves. At some point there unfortunate souls had nothing to look up to, absolutely nothing. They were an army that was meant to have no free will, with free will. They were shunned cause people feared them and they feared themselves even more. Total confusion and insanity. Then someone came along and organized them, little by little into a superpower. So yeah, Lady Hope and Lady Sylvanas are the same.

As for purpose? Their purpose was not truly fulfilled. The Lich King is still around. But if existence is not a good reason enough for you, since some Forsaken seem to be more scared of dying than they were when still alive, then please tell me why any of the other races don’t give up when at least part of their purpose is fulfilled?

Cause they think it’s funny, cause someone really annoyed them once, cause they don’t want to die off, cause they hate others, personal brand of poetic justice. Countless reasons.

Consider that the Forsaken are mostly crazy and sadistic. There are exceptions, yes, just not that many and there is always strength in numbers. If that’s not convincing enough then simply think of the very human and real saying “misery loves company”. I don’t know why people assume Forsaken are mostly just nice people who will meekly remove themselves from existence, rather than offend others instead of the type that would bury a piece of metal in your skull and simply call it an experiment.

And she was right to do so as far as I’m concerned. Come on. If you use the Before the Storm novel you must have seen how few accepted to meet the Forsaken face to face and how many turned away. I felt kind of bad for Elsie Benton who was loyal to the end and considered killing her a total waste, but let me be honest, the idea of family reunions between the rotting dead and the living aren’t my idea of an entertaining story and the fact that some of the Forsaken, members of a leading council were trying to deflect totally justified mowing down the entire field, what was idiotic to me was that they were willing to deflect? To what exactly when most of the people from that side see you as a crime against the natural order of things? Look at Zelling. He chose undeath to help his family and the moment they see him, they turn away in terror.

Bullcrap. There were rules she put in place to be followed during that meeting. The rules were broken. They had the free will to make their decisions and there were consequences.

But there are not and even if there were. Let’s say 1 in 100 living people accepted undead, what about the rest of the 99? No, the Forsaken were strong because they knew where to draw the line, with the Alliance and even with the Horde.
Having them run around based on the idea that maybe someone won’t decide to take matters in their own hands and simply off them and they could live happy lives for… how long? Was not only damaging to the individual, but to the whole.

I like how people use that stupid quote to blame one for something everyone else does. Nobody ever sacrificed troops in a war? Oh yeah, they feel really bad about it so it’s ok (the Theme for every Alliance character).
But since you brought up the same stupid argument, let me remind you that you have to care for your arrows too if you want them to actually hit their target.

But her discourse was spot on, the one concerning an inevitable war. So spot on that Saurfang was on board with it and so was the rest of the Horde.

That’s the crappies writing ever because nothing made sense. Not Sylvanas losing her cool, not the Forsaken suddenly being upset over her calling the Horde nothing. And Lor’themar side by side with Jaina. Dear God…

It never had anything to do with free will. If this crappy writing resolves anything is that she never screwed around with free will.

And what did she do? She turned them into a superpower. They became the spooks of the Horde, until she threw a fit and wasted it all. But until then, from confused zombies shuffling around Lordaeron to an organized powerful state, is quite a leap. If that didn’t earn them some hope for the future, I don’t know what the hell will.

I really wish people would at least try to understand that the Forsaken players aren’t looking for a fix, especially one coming from the Alliance under whatever from which is why several of us (not all playing forsaken) see Sylvanas as the only choice even if that choice is very stupid due to the current quality of the writing. I didn’t choose this race so I could go around trying to fix it. I chose it because it’s unique in many ways, especially how vile they can be, which makes it interesting and often very amusing.

8 Likes

Nicely put. Yes it was Sylvanas who gave them purpose. Instead of being chased by Humans and killed off.

1. Not many know that Lich King is still alive
  2. Lich King that they knew is desd and the current one is dorment.

Do you really ask me why loving go on? Its totally different concept. Undead are undead. Unnatural beings being brought back into life with magic. Living live on as part of life cycle.

Dont think that is accurate description of general Forsaken race.

No but if the mind holds the memories of previous life there will always be place for love and good. Even most heartless of them experienced such feelings - Sylvanas. And Nathanos still does. Their sadistic nature has a reason behind it.

Yes but there were ones who stayed and overall it was mostly successful meeting not to consider Calia incident. For 1st steps it was expected that not all would ebrace the idea but it was a start. And example that those forsaken do hold on to hope and with their free will they wanted to reunite woth loved ones or have any other interest then Sylvanas offered them.

Agreed!

I do find it interesting way to look at forsaken. And now that they have more control over themselves what kind of life would many choose, if they were not in such a strong seclusion.

Yes but nonetheless he never stopped caring for them. Thats the thing she tries to decide whats good for them without even giving a chance. Acting like controling mother.

True! I am not talking about that spesific moment. But overall thats what she said. She wanted to kill that hope in her people. Hope that there can be something meaningful out of it. She got hurt from Varessa and she thinks it will always be the case. Which is wrong.

But she does not care for them. What has she done for them? Since Cata? She does not care to prosper her kingdom or wellbeing of forsaken. She used them as meatshield. She raised new ones so there would always be a forsaken she could rule over. She lost Lordaeron for crying out loud.

No actually that was an @sspull reason and Saurfang took the bait. The whole hope thing has been concept of BFA.

:nauseated_face:

I see it differently.

Ill answer rest when I finish work! )

1 Like

“It is said that only the most powerful can dominate the wills of the risen.”
The toy must be in your collection.
The conversation is interesting valid points from both sides.

Here’s an idea: why not let the Forsaken speak for themselves?
In game NOBODY asked us if we needed saving. Did I miss something? I mean, I stopped the war campaign at ‘Old allies’ because I refuse to work with the alliance. I don’t remember anyone crying for help.
And it’s continuing in the forums as well. Who are you, op, to tell anyone how Forsaken feel?
Even I don’t dare speak for my entire race.

2 Likes

Yes, she did that, but what is this hope of future? They cant procreate. They dont take joy from life as living do. They feed on living and are dependant on living in order to carry on. Thing is that their whole purpose as race at the moment is unkown, except the radical ones that want to consume Azeroth in death. I dont really see their end goal. Ok they have killed everyone and defeated old gods, kept enough living to constantly supply new corpses, but then again “what joy is in this curse?”. I understand Sylvanas’ standpoint she saw something horrid (which might not even be true) and wants to avoid the inevitable. But what is it in for Forsaken.

Agreed. That sucks that even Alliance gets to help out Horde and forsaken. BtS had a good beggining for forsaken to have a different arc, not with Alliance but in general, how some would go on.

What I feel right nownis that whole forsaken people are too bound to Sylvanas and her plan, as many races are bound to their racial leaders due to crap writing.

And Im not saying forsaken need fix or redemption by the light of Calia Menethil, that would be disgusting. But the situation right now isnt any better. Desolace Council was great example of Forsaken everyday life. Having needs and desires like they had in their living state. A free will to do things. But that free will is currently suppressed by Sylvanas, who has always been keeping an eye on the prize and will do whatever it takes to achieve it.

I m not saying you need help. Im not saying how you should feel. I have just stated the facts from game. The examples what happened. And just annalise.

On the other hand it is ok to call out on all Horde Forsaken to feel ashamed and not the other way around?

Because I do think forsaken are obligated to Sylvanas, as I see this devide starting long before BfA. Maniacs and sadist or not, forsaken have their own will and supressing it will lead to backlash, thats how it works.

Did anybody save Forsaken? Afaik they opened the gates after the Sylvanas tantrum.

1 Like

I apologize for my harsh reply, it’s just so hard to follow this story as forsaken main. I really dislike how this story is going for Sylvanas, Saurfang, Horde, Forsaken, and even alliance too. As I’ve said in another topic earlier, we all suffered.

Personally the way I see it (so not from a forsaken pov) this is where the Forsaken race ends. And maybe too little too late as well. I feel this story can never end in a satisfactory way because Forsaken are a playable race and they can’t just remove them from the game. Right? I mean, I’d feel horrible if I couldn’t play my main anymore that I spent so much time on (well, since Legion so really I’m still a toddler tho I’m loving the shadowlands out of classic)
It feels like a crazy leap for the alliance to suddenly accept forsaken in their ranks. I get Anduin is all forgiving, but I don’t understand how anyone else can be in agreement or quiet disagreement. I also really wouldn’t like if Tyrande is going to turn out an enemy to alliance because she’s justified in her feelings.

My Forsaken character however is loyal to Sylvanas no matter what. Maybe she got conditioned to the situation, somewhat like Stockholm Syndrome, after all it has been about 2 decades (according to chronicles timeline at least)
She also never missed the detached tone Sylvanas used when speaking to her. She was just happy to have something to do, and oftentimes something to kill while under protection of Sylvanas and also the Horde.
She very much enjoyed agonizing weak enemies and watch them scramble for life from a distance.

Yeah in my headcannon this is the loyalists recognizing that not opening the gates will most likely lead to their defeat after Sylvanas’ infamous ‘YOU ARE ALL NOTHING’
eta: I know, I’m in denial about this part of the story. But I’m realistic as well, and have decided I will wait it out.
I only have 1 week of sub left and I just got a new job and no more time to play so can’t post on these forums anymore and I don’t do reddit. But I assure you, I will be around still reading :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why wont the alliance move to a Scarlet way of thinking, and just burn them all the forsaken that is.

Honestly name one good thing or any positive impact the forsaken have on the world.

Even Alexandros Mograine in the ashbringer comic said they would have to be gotten rid of they have been proven to be worse then even the scourge.

The Scarlet Crusade was right, any continued story that the forsaken are simply misguided or poor lost souls who were only doing the banshee queens orders is a joke, cailia / forskean redeem these “people” there is no redeeming them they are monsters. It makes 0 sense for any alliance npc to be thinking anything else. at this stage.

2 Likes

You could say the same about the scarlet crusade, with Balnazzar as their leader it was just a front for the burning legion.

2 Likes

I do agree with you guys. Alliance should have crushed the Horde and purged the Forsaken from EK, But Im just talking about forsaken with Sylvanas atm.

And I wouldnt jump on conclusions as of Alliance accepting Forsaken in their ranks. It was just a new beginning of new relations, which to be fair had a solid ground to stand on. It was small numbers who got intereted in it but thats enough to start. Genn was one opposing Anduin about this meeting, but even he saw there was something worth going for.

I don’t know. I’m not a dead guy, but if I were in a hopeless situation I would try to get myself out of it. I would like to think I wouldn’t have to do anything extreme or immoral, but I suppose nobody thinks they would have to until they are face to face with that situation.

The living also seek to destroy them, or alter them, perhaps there’s a connection somewhere there.

I don’t know what their purpose is beyond survival, obviously. I don’t know what any race’s purpose is for that matter. What’s the human purpose?

Might not be any joy, like I said, I’m not a dead guy, but I’ve had situations where I had to do something I don’t enjoy because the alternative is worse. The Forsaken are scared of dying. So, again, beyond survival I don’t know what their end game would be.

The Forsaken are scared of something too. So I suppose it’s not too far fetched to think that wherever they went to after they got killed is not that great. Perhaps there is a paradigm shift that comes with undeath. Again, I don’t know and maybe it’s best that way. There has to be some mystery to it.

I don’t put it past Anduin’s Alliance to help a race whose “racial” is to eat other people cause… well, I’m not sure about that either. But I would like to keep playing that people eating zombie and that is not gonna happen when the ideals of the Alliance are pushed on me personally and it’s not just Forsaken players who feel that way.

You might want to talk to the writing team about that one, cause they sure picked a weird and sudden way to have the Forsaken part ways with Sylvanas when they could have done it over time. As far as I’m concerned, there was no trouble with Sylvanas (other than the dislike of certain people) before she was made Warchief. Maybe that should not have happened, but it did. So here we are. Now this situation (kind of) demands that the Forsaken player justify their existence in a faction that suddenly decided their too evil. So please tell me which way should I go to keep playing what I always played if not right back to Sylvanas.

The very few Forsaken portrayed in that book are the really nice versions. There are plenty of great examples where the Forsaken every day portrayed much differently. Sadistic, immoral and filled with dark humor. If they feel like the Forsaken need a lite (or light) version, then they are free to create one separately, not simply demand from players like me to suddenly accept such a critical change. So again, if their intention was to drive the Forsaken players and the lore away from Sylvanas then I’m pretty sure they failed.

The problem with the PART of the Desolate Council which was described in the book is that they were in fact, not very Forsaken at all. I mentioned Elsie Benton. She acts like an old lady dealing with the issues that come with old age and the inevitable problems that come with it. That’s about it. That is not the version of the Forsaken I’ve seen to this point.

The Forsaken I know wouldn’t go “OH WHAT A NICE YOUNG MAN” when you say hello to them and would more likely kill you then have some rats consume your remains for some sick experiment that ultimately serves no real point. That’s a quest.

Look, this is simply my opinion. I want Blizzard to keep the Forsaken charm alive. I’m not a RP-er so I don’t create my own stories, but would happily follow the stories Blizzard gives us as long as they keep true to the above mentioned charm. Which kinda implies the leader of the Forsaken and the Forsaken themselves must be insane enough to justify that.

1 Like

I don’t think the forsaken can pull the Dreadlord card now can they.
And I actually would say when it comes to who has had a more positive impact to the world the crusade has been more positive then the Forsaken.

As for most negative the Forsaken win by far.

Yeah there is a connection, its endless hatred cycle. And both sides have their own biased, but justified reasons.

But thats not quite not I meant by my quote there.

Humans also fight for survival, survival as species. Cycle of life. They inevitably face the ultimate end - death. They procreate and evolve, like anything else in this universe. Unlike Forsaken seek self survival, to avoid unavoidable Death. What will happen when there will be no more Humans to raise or use to replace rotting body parts?

But they will eventually die, unless they could become a intergalactic Planet killers. Destroying everything in their wake. Which sounds surprisingly great idea! :thinking:

:+1:

Really hard to argue with that. Sylvanas keeping to herself until BFA though, that isnt really surprising to see when she became Warchief, sort of all eyes were on her. I mean I get it, forsaken should really care about Night Elves or any morality whatsoever. But that’s typical Sylvanas move.

Agreed. That feeling sucks, from player perspective.

My headcannon is that there will be more factions coming up, from new expansion. Or at least one can hope that there something good may come out from this shoddy War Campaign. The Allied Races, rising divide in both factions, level squish questionnaire… I can almost see it happening on Blizzcon announcement.

I get you! Fair.

Before tackling what I think about the rest, I wanted to point out that this isn’t true.
The Forsaken modus regarding war has always been the same. The only thing that changed in cataclysm, is that thanks to the ongoing war, the ones that became the target of their war effort were part of another playable faction.
And that created the resentment we seen amongst many Alliance players, who started taking more notice in the Forsaken ways now that they had “experienced them first hand”.

Anyway, on to the debate part:

Check Zellings case. That could be a valid reason for it.

Because they are twisted people that can enjoy inflicting said curse on others. Another “valid” one from their point of view.

Regarding the rest, it’s a fairly recent development that did nothing but try to paint Sylvanas as an irredeemable villain. And even then, several quotes and text wording points at her caring about the Forsaken (even if the Horde is still seen from her point of view, in the most utilitarian fashion).

The Forsaken do have their own theme, and even if they could live (narratively speaking) without her, they need Sylvanas character.
I mean, beyond the fact that she quite literally founded the faction, and was the one that actually freed them, she is the core of all of their ideologies and symbols. Pretending that she isn’t integral to their entire society is simply ignoring what the Forsaken are as a people.

1 Like

Sylvanas liberated them, she came back because she saw them willingly jumping into a fire the alliance created to extinguish them as a race, before she joined the Horde she had hope of joining the Alliance, and instead she was actively hunted, which realistically psychologically messed her up even more to wanting destruction, and the plague.

She is an elf that liberated humans , they owe everything to her, even in the Vanilla description of the Forsaken it is stated that they do not follow Horde traditions.

When she was Warchief she said as your Warchief I share with you the burden of finding a future for the Forsaken no matter what it takes, she flat out stated.

In the book before the storm it is mentioned that her love is only for the Forsaken , and the Sindorei , but she had to wave at an Orc the same way she waves at her people to not show favoritism.

Sylvanas saw something that none of us are aware of, as her voice actress said , she sees the bigger picture , and her actions will be good in the end no matter how she got there, hence her saying you are all nothing, take it as you want to , but think of it in a deeper level , what she meant was in the grand scheme of things.

The Forsaken are her children I do not know which sister said it, but Sylvanas always wanted kids (her Dalaran coin says) , and her main goal as a Banshee is to produce more Forsaken as horrible as that sounds.

Her emotions are out there , the Forsaken loyalists still hold out hope for her, maybe not the new ones that were raised after Arthas , but the ones she freed from mind control.

Making Lightforged Undead IF that happens dismisses Forsaken lore in terms of imagine being accepted by your family if you have to accept the light, thats super sad.

Personally I want to see better from her , realistically I do not agree with anything she did especially Teldrasil , but this is a game , and her tragic story is what made me delve into WoW lore!

Victory For Sylvanas

1 Like

Also have to add that she used to say about the High Elves they are arrows in my quiver, and the undead before Arthas’s fall, but after her Valkyr showed her , her value she said “they are no longer arrows in my quiver” all I see is growth , and I want her to stay she is a strong WoW character

Edit

I want WoW to feel like a real world, and not when someone gets mad they become a raid boss, I chose to be a loyalist , and I wanna be a loyalist no matter what, I do not want to be friendly towards the Alliance when I am playing Horde , If choices matter, this game will really have the WAR In warcraft, we dont have to be force fed into something we dont want to follow truly , I hope to see Night Elves revert to their old days , I hope to see tension in a game that I want to keep going

sigh She saw them jumping into the fire, her reply was “I do not care.” Get your lore straight.

And no, the Alliance did not create to destroy them as a race, it was Garrosh’s warmongering which lead to this possible end.

Within the city walls, bonfires raged. Sylvanas seethed; the Alliance was already burning the corpses. No. Wait. She tried to make sense out of the clouded vision. The few Forsaken who remain are throwing themselves into the bonfires, she realized, rather than facing their executioners.

Annhylde remained patient, her voice soothing and measured. "To show you the consequences of your passing, and to offer you a choice…"

"I’ve made my choice," Sylvanas interrupted.

"Your people will perish!" said the dark-haired Val’kyr. She had clearly been the youngest of the battlemaidens in life and was now the most impatient in her undeath.

Sylvanas thought about her people. They had come far from their decimated origins, the yearning, confused mob of fresh corpses huddled about the ruins of Lordaeron’s wrecked capital. The Forsaken were truly a nation now: a fetid, gore-caked, hideous mass of lifeless husks, skilled in combat, devastating with the arcane arts, and unhindered by fetters of morality. They had been honed into the perfect weapon. Her weapon. And they had struck the killing blow for which she had built them. She cared nothing for their fate.

"Let them perish!" Sylvanas cried. "I am finished with them!"

5 Likes

You must wait eagerly for Thrall’s return, then.

4 Likes

yes. my favourite such quote was when she said “YOU ARE ALL NOTHING!” in the latest cinematic and then flew away, forsaking the forsaken

i really felt the love there

We also see in the book the forsaken having to deal without her as she has spent most of her time in orgimmar, and we see them starting to take matters into her own hands.
The same book also really shows how much she plays into her being their savior and only hope she almost comes off as a cult leader unwilling to let her people see any other way but her. We also see them not wanting to live forever nor really wishing to inflict the curse on others.

I honestly think the forskaen will start to drift away from her ever her loyalists, and i know it seems obvious and possible calia will lead them in the future but i honestly think she will lead a new desolate council instead and it might actually give the forsaken new new intresting focus other than it constantly being on sylvannis.

1 Like