To Quote: "...." Do we know what we want?

“One of the responsibilities I think we have as designers is to protect the player from themselves.”

• Sid Meier | GDC 2010

Here lies the crux of the matter to me regarding boosts, mounts, and MTX. Most players will choose the path of least resistance and sacrifice everything on the altar of convenience thereby ruining the game for themselves (unknowingly) and for others.

Classic and TBCC were made to give us a way back imperfect as it is to a more simple time, where effort and time investment meant something. not everyone could have everything and people were fine with it to an extent but as soon as people expected to get everything they destroyed it for themselves and for others.

I expected maybe too much from people in this regard to not support this with their wallet as well as stand against it in forums etc. No doubt many retail players (those that use ‘rose-tinted goggles’ as an insult are extremely happy about what is happening to Classic in it all its forms.

We have been here before and as history does, it repeats itself or like a dog returning to its own vomit.

I will play of course cause I made such good friends while levelling and joining a guild but will not partake in any of the ‘value-added products.’

The people that are going to buy the boost or the mount, I am not that mad about, since most choose the path of least resistance (some will use very poor excuses for it).
We all knew in many ways that we could not trust Blizzard hence the #Nochanges was formed but it worked quite well.
Now Blizzard themselves has taken the reins fully.

I can’t help there are some corporate white-knights and shilling for Blizzard going on but it saddens me still that so many players are not phased by it at all.

The current game developers did not do their job to protect us from ourselves and that is a shame.

10 Likes

People that disagree with you = white knights or shills.

Such insight. Thanks for the brain dump. I’ll see you in BC

1 Like

Good post. But I would say the way we played Classic is to blame for Blizzard going hard into microtransactions.

If goldbuying, GDKP, pathing exploits with mage boosting and heavy botting (all linked with each other really) had not been that prominent/ abused in Classic they would not have not done anything (imo). And I am pretty sure that token will be in within 2 months as well because of that.

Fact is the player already took the path of least resistance in Classic.

It is entirely Blizz fault for not taking action in a timely manner against those though.

5 Likes

Some, not all. The word for taking offense in Greek is directly translated to ‘devil’s bait.’ If that applies to you then so be it. I was merely mentioning it since there could be some.

2 Likes

Well said.

Today the philosophy is: “How can we abuse the weakness of our customers to make more money?”

6 Likes

That extends to the entire industry and not just Blizzard, well except for arguably Nintendo. But even they have some iffy mobile games these days.

1 Like

Ignore the troll that sipped through instantly.

Sid Meier is both a genius and a legend. And Firaxis games are my favourite publisher all around these days, like the old real Blizzard. Whenever I see ANY game or content with their name on them, that is an INSTANT purchase.

Civ 6 was great, the last seasonal pass was amazing with so much content over 1.5 years and as a last surprise they gave us a free content package for free in good faith for all the support we gave them.
I love every single man and woman in Firaxis. And Sid Meier is the guru obviously. I spent 200+ euros on all civ 6 related content and another 150 on xcom franchise and I NEVER felt bad about it. That is how good game development and management is done.

A company needs to learn how to be outright, honest and not greedy scumbags, then their customers will throw their money at them with a smile.

But this new Bobbylizzard- I hate every single penny I give them. Wish they didn’t have the IP of a game that we all loved and cared for. A game, which was created by devs that we loved, and now taken over by greedy scammers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.