Two games, one company, toxicity

After getting multiple replies from the other thread that I’ve created regarding the rude behaviors and insults, and seeing people who keeps saying, he called you an idiot, then what ? I wanted to create this thread basically.

Both Overwatch and WoW belongs to the same company, Blizzard. How then the policy regarding the toxicity in the game can be that different ?

In Overwatch, I remember that I was given a temporary ban just for saying ‘Report X player’ in the chat, and basically it is considered as a violation. (If you do live chat, they will give you reasons for why the ban was given - because it was the only thing that I had said and I was shocked.) I definitely agree that the Overwatch policy is beyond harsh and should be re-worked maybe but on the contrary, there is nothing in WoW to prevent such toxicity.

Even there is a clear racism in WoW. I don’t care what you think of Russians but in the description I many times witnessed that people write ‘Russians f**k off, no Russians, etc.’. Whatever the reason is, this is a very clear racism and only one of the examples that can NOT be tolerated if indeed the intention is making the game a more friendly and less toxic environment. You can only say like ‘Only people who can communicate in English, you can’t eliminate or discriminate people based on something that they are not responsible for’.

Yes you do pay in WoW, however, this still doesn’t justify such toxic attitudes, you also agree the policy before you accept to play the game. Anyone who is making the game more toxic should be punished degree by degree, not necessarily a temporary ban, but in the first steps muting them, or in-game punishments could be applied so that people can eventually learn to ‘behave’.

1 Like

Have you tried BG with Russians? It’s brutal…
Those guys, just want to zerg you for lol’s.

2 Likes

just a quick question for you … am I ‘toxic’ because I disagree with you completely?

4 Likes

What do you mean by Russians ? Many of the 'lol’ers might be Russian but this doesn’t mean all the Russians are like that.

By that standard, majority of the people who are sentenced in the rape cases are men, but not all the men can be held responsible for it, right ?

2 Likes

All I am saying is, they have earned their place by farming us…
Even if the minority don’t. And it’s a game, don’t take it too seriously. :smile:

1 Like

I can only take your statement seriously if you give one, criticizing something without giving any valid response doesn’t mean anything to me, so can’t say that for you, yet.

1 Like

You were probably banned in overwatch for harassment, telling others to report x player is classed as harassment simply because you could be targeting x player unfairly.

Its the same reason we can’t name and shame on the forums. We don’t know that what you tell us about x player or x guild is true.

Tbh, I’ve seen very rare instances of “toxic” behaviour in wow, and even then I’d hardly even term it truly “toxic” its more immature spouting and not really report worthy or even worth spending energy getting riled up about.

9 Likes

I targeted a player who was insulting us from both chat and voice. So maybe he also got punished but so did I. Anyway, I moved on with the decision and never did that again, given it is their policy and if I don’t like it, I can simply choose not to play the game.

Definitely, but there could be a sort of blacklist created and regulated by Blizzard itself to show people whether they got any punishment for violating game environment before. They can access to all chat history, and I don’t even believe that these in-game reports are working for anything else but ‘inappropriate names’.

Or I think you just got used to it overtime and it no longer does appear toxic to you. As long as people are exposed to something, it is becoming more and more normal to them.

2 Likes

Fast paced games like OW or LoL are more prone to toxic behaviour than a MMORPG like WoW, makes sense that the sanction system is adapted to the player behaviour.

3 Likes

Several days ago, I invited 3 Russians for 17+ UR and we managed to do it in time, they didn’t leave after several wipes and didn’t give up. I was basically rewarded for not being a racist.

2 Likes

You are against racism yet in your other thread you clearly mention having a problem with people from Sanguino which will give that server a bad name…

4 Likes

If what you said were even close to being true, I would make my statement as ‘Stay away from Spanish people for RBG runs’, giving a realm name was just to make me sure that these people who were responsible for what had happened, would understand who I am talking about since obviously it is not allowed to give guild or player names on the forums.

Daily reminder that racism is not the same as xenophobia.

Other than that I don’t ever experience this high levels of toxicity some speak of when I play. So all I can say is get a guild, a grip, or a bloody self improvement book about stoicism.

12 Likes

well, you cant compare those two games. one is a shooter and the other one is an mmorpg. one is prone to toxicity and the other is less so.
so of course both games have to be controlled/policed differently. you re pretty much comparing apples to oranges at this point.

to be honest, i would consider someone toxic who tells me to report someone. (and i d rather report that someone than the person i am told to report) if i deem someone to be report worthy then i will do it and not because someone got their wee feelings hurt by something a stranger said on the internet and is out for revenge.

if you think you were subjected to toxic behavior or harrassment in wow, take a screenshot and write a ticket or use the ignore/report function. i dont see why anyone would spend time and energy getting all riled up on such silly things though.

toxic people in wow are few and far between.

yeah sht happens, people suck and idiots are everywhere but its far healthier to just move on with it and focus on the nice people instead. ignore list is a really neat feature.

1 Like

What OP is describing is not even xenophobia, let alone racism… What OP is describing is some player or players have had (presumably consistent) bad experience with other players from certain nationality in the past and they no longer want to play with such players. That’s neither racism nor xenophobia and I don’t see it as toxic either. I mean nobody should force players who to play with, it should and it is entirely their choice.

@OP, how do you see your proposal working? Like do you punish only those who explicitly write “No !”? Cuz they can totally not write it and just not invite players from realms corresponding to that certain nationality? Ar the people who do the latter also racist/toxic/whatever who should be punished and how do you do that?

2 Likes

do you mean prejudice by any chance?

Well it wont be prejudice if the opinion is based on personal experience. Of course it could be prejudice but there is no way to prove that.

This :point_up:

1 Like

It is racism if you say directly ‘Russian’, good luck with that argument if you ever go to court and say that.

If you have a bad experience playing with or against player who have Russian alphabets in their names, for example you can sate in your description what you don’t even in your group such that ‘No players who play premade normal BGs’ ‘No player who writes in different alphabets rather than English’ etc. You can’t say ‘Russian’.

This is so ironic though Blizzard is so sensitive about Hong Kong issue and doesn’t even care about what is happening with Russian thing. This is hypocrisy.

One more thing, if you don’t wanna play with players who have Russian alphabets in their names - given that we can’t actually know that they are indeed Russian - you can simply not invite them or not join a group that have these guys in it, but you can’t write that the way described above.

Read above. No one forces you, it is just something you can and can’t write in the description. Why is it any different than saying ‘If you are gay or black person, please do not apply to this group because I don’t want you’. I might have a consistent bad experience with black or gay people and this doesn’t allow me to be a racist or sexist. You can’t generalize people. If you don’t want certain people in your group, remain silent and just don’t invite them to your group, you have to be careful with what you are writing, no one is interfering with your feelings while making certain decisions, yet what you write is potentially harmful to others which could be considered toxic.

Yes I can and I will. I will not hide my words and imply it in

That’s even dumber.