Uhm. Fourth War?

actualy third war was Mop, not Warcraft 3 reign of chaos becuse there was no true faction war there, it was more or less a war against the legion and scourge.

first war was orcs vs humans, second was tides of darkness, third was mist of pandaria, forth was battle for azeroth.

then we have wars against the legion and old gods, that can be put in their own category.
like war of the ancients, war against the qiraj, war againt illidan (tbc), wrath of the lichking, Tides of darkness, Cataclysm, and Legion. theese where all wars against an outside force, rather than a war that was horde vs alliance.

:roll_eyes:
I believe Sylvannas declares the war - and calls it the fourth war - in the Before the Storm novel.
That was ages ago. No one was bothered then. I don’t see why it’s a topic of concern now.
Like I said, it’s not like there’s any specific guidelines to the naming anyway. You can argue that the First War and the Second War are basically the same. It’s just one long war. So blame Blizzard’s writing 20 years ago?!

I think it’s fine. You can find equally illogical naming orders of wars in real life. And to some degree I kind of like that Warcraft has these illogical names in its history - it makes it seem more authentic, whereas if everything was perfectly ordered you’d get the sense that it was carefully planned out in advance by an author. Now it comes across more as if it’s the in-game characters’ own accounts of history that lends the wars their names.

No, the Third War is known as the war in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

Logical? Probably not. But Blizzard probably named those first three wars to account for a chapter in the story - one for each game they had released.

Then there’s been a lot of wars in-between and afterward which haven’t had any numbers assigned to them.
I guess Blizzard chose to name this one (or Sylvannas chose) the Fourth War to underline the theme of the expansion by tying it to the previous RTS games. Nothing like referencing your own material. :smirk:

You reap what you sow, you want to defend this writing even though nearly everyone dislikes it (I can only name you and Vonen as the people who like it, although I am not sure if the latter was serious), go ahead but don’t be offended when people will pick it up and hold it against you.

It wasn’t ages ago, but fine. You know, I do want the page number but I am in a good mood, so let’s say we both go and delve into it and find the page number. I am sure you won’t mind reading that self-proclaimed masterwork.

No, during the first war, Stormwind was involved, during the second the Alliance of Lordaeron.

Except it isn’t? Like I said, we already had two devastating wars in-between, it’s not like there was one big interbellum after the Third War, so do explain how these Azeroth inhabitants did not think of the other, in-between wars as the Fourth War. You are making the claim that it makes sense, you are going to need more arguments just than “well, maybe they were confused or retarded”.

1 Like

What?
I share my opinion here as I see fit. I would appreciate not being insulted or demeaned just for having an opinion that isn’t the same as yours or others. I frankly don’t really know what others think on this forum - I have barely posted here for countless months. I’ve no idea who this Vonen is or even who you are. Get a grip. It’s a forum. People come here to share their thoughts and opinions. You make it sound as if this place somehow belongs to some arbitrary regulars who seemingly all conform to the same opinions. Whatever. I could care less.
Read my posts if they interest you and respond to them only if you can do so kindly, thank you.

It really doesn’t make sense, there wasn’t a war between horde and alliance in WC3.

But if that is how they are counting it it’s fair to assume that all of wow is simply the fourth war and all the times of peace and cooperation in wow were just cease fires. So maybe this really is the end of faction conflict in wow.

Except I did not insult you.

I guess that you don’t really have the counterarguments then, sure.

1 Like

No, it definitely doesn’t follow the formula from the previous two games.
But I think Blizzard just called it the Third War because it was the third game, and the other two wars had been named according to their respective game titles.
If logic was to have carried through, then Warcraft IV should have had the Fourth War. But that never came about. :yum:

Nah, I can’t really be bothered to talk to you. Have a good night.

Just give me the page number and I won’t bother you anymore.

1 Like

The entire naming doesn’t make much sense really. If the wars between the Horde and Alliance are numbered it would work: Stormwind vs Horde (First War), Alliance vs Horde (Second War), Alliance vs Horde 2 Electric Pandaren (MoP-Third War), and Alliance vs Horde 3 Morally Grey (Fourth War).

However, the Third War describes the Second invasion of the Burning Legion and the destruction of the world tree. So everything from Classic up to BfA wasn’t another war even though especially Cataclysm-MoP and Legion would easily classify as another war (extremely destructive and large scale).

Well, if we see it as we have seen the other wars, First War, Second War… Then it doesn’t make sense.

But perhaps this is more of a ‘‘Cold War’’ type of name?

It’s in lore that the Third War is the war where Ner’zhul becomes the first Lich King and Azeroth is once more invaded.
I never played Warcraft but the Horde and the Alliance as we know them in WoW are not present in the prequels.

I would more put this on the writing team for not keeping up, or maybe even consciously obfuscating it because of the already shaky timeline…

1 Like

Remember who’s writing all of this.

“Consistency exists to enhance the story, not to tie the hands of the creators”

1 Like

Basically the Fourth war is from Garrosh til now.
and since then it was just ceasefire, upon ceasefire.

Okay I got nothing.
Maybe they just like 4 more than 5?

This bugs me as well. Third War was was WC 3 stuff. We had 7 expansions full of wars since then!

War against Lich King, war against Deathwing, war against AU Draenor, war against freaking LEGION!

And none of that counted? Sylvanas war is worthy to be called Fourth war, but war against Legion is not? Even though Legion pretty much was the enemy of the Third War? WTF?

1 Like

I guess the forth war started with thrall and Jaina just before vanilla. When Thrall let orcs attack the elves and Jaina put the elves into the alliance.
We have been at war since. Varian then garrosh then Genn , then Sylvanas only continued it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.