Unpopular Opinions

I like this Margaret Thatcher.

1 Like

Well, now that IS an unpopular opinion.

4 Likes

Did you like Margaret Thatcher when she was funding illegal paramilitary death squads in Northern Ireland?

tiocfaidh ar la my friends, do not fall victim to this revisionist british propaganda

3 Likes

Just… What?

Ugh. You ought to have tried growing up under her Britain, it was not a nice place. First she stole our milk from our schools “Thatcher, Thatcher, Kids Milk Snatcher”, then just went on a rampage of closing down the mining and steel industry, so making many places in the North of England and Wales destitute, situations many places have not recovered from to this day, whilst promoting business in London, as if it was some grotesque parasite feeding off the rest of the country, which it slowly started to be seen as. Next was the Ship Building industry, further disenfranchising the North of the country, and then, oh my word, and then, her genius stroke. The Poll Tax. You had to Pay to Vote. You actually had to pay a tax, so that you could vote. Wasn’t optional by the way, you didn’t pay, you got prosecuted. So of course there were riots, and she sent the police in -heavy-, there were deaths. Couple this with her antics in Northern Ireland, and the exacerbation of an already confused and horrible mess of sectarian violence, and she was absolutely unrepentant, for any of it. There was no aspect of British life, that she did not manage to taint or effect negatively. Unless you lived in London.

Whilst I personally found the idea distasteful, there were a lot of parties held to celebrate her death, especially in those areas effected by her dire policies.

She was a vile, vile woman, and may we never see her ilk again…

10 Likes
9 Likes

Given the amount of street parties around my area when she died, it’s safe to say she wasn’t particularly popular in at least South London either. Can’t speak for those filthy northern ones.

Okaaaay, I apologize for offending anyone because of my ignorance regarding British Politicians.

Oh I wasn’t offended, I was just explaining why she was a very contentious figure, and still draws people’s ire to this day…

I understood that, but some might not have taken my “I like this Thatcher lady” in the way you did…

Ruffling some jimmies doesn’t always go well. But thanks for the explanation.

Brigante, the more you know

2 Likes

The relationship of the English with their politics has always struck me as odd; everyone is so involved, informed, and opinionated on all political subjects yet somehow with such clever a people their politics still suck.

ta!

I think it’s more an overwhelming sense of cynical apathy towards the whole ordeal. It’s very much a sigh, turn around, bend over and drop the drawers situation. Don’t like it, don’t want it, but by jove we can’t collectively muster up the willpower to change it.

I think ultimatly, it doesn’t matter who we vote for, they all come from the same three schools and probably noshed each other off in the showers after P.E.

That’s the real problem in Britain, that all the highest jobs require going to Eton and so on.

Slaughterhouse Rulez

that movie is english humour (about themselves) at its finest

Unpopular on the internet but not in the box office:

I watched Captain Marvel and it was actually super solid. The only complaint I have is that it was too short* (timing & introducing plot points was too quick), but I can understand why they might not have wanted to make a 3 hour movie.

(edit: *too short meaning the normal 2 hours run time)
edit2: I’d also very likely want to see a sequel

2 Likes

From what I had heard before seeing the film it was supposed to be terrible and littered with anti-men propaganda. But then I went to see it. Sure it was pro-women but it wasn’t overfilled and distracting like people were saying. It was just a good Marvel film with a bit of a “Girl power” message. It really isn’t as bad as people say it is.

2 Likes

I can’t even say it was pro-women, like. I’m starting to become very, very confused as to what we culturally and socially consider “pro” and “anti”—is everything featuring a main “badass” female lead nowadays considered pro-women? Is it not acceptable for a woman to be a tough jaw without the item in question (movie, series, game, novel) being considered some sort of extremist feminist propaganda? These are genuine questions that rose after I watched the movie, too.

Tough women have been a thing in movies since before the internet picked up. I can’t keep up with memes anymore…

7 Likes

I think the difference is that there are strong women and strong characters who - are - women. The former is Captain Marvel whereas the latter is Wonder Woman.

The only thing I fault the movie for is unnecessary sexism that is overly presented (you know why it’s called the COCKpit, right?) and that the main villains had their source material changed from what they were in the comics to being a reference to real life refugees.

1 Like

cuz our fantasy and movies need political media inserted in them nowdays. gone are the days when movies, tv and games were about losing yourself in pure entertainment, amirite?

1 Like

i proceed to fail to see what is weak in captain marvels character
->clear objective which is introduced on the literal intro
->she has emotions like a believable person
->she makes friends and meaningful connections with people
->she has a defining moment where she rediscovers herself as a part of the ‘hero’ s journey’ which every protagonist must be subjected to

I’m sorry but I honestly don’t see it, lol. I think Brie’s acting was quite on point as well, and she looked more human than the overexaggerated expressions characters like Thor might make (surprising, people glare when angry instead of doing a >:D face, yeah).

It’s a movie based on, like, the 90s or something dude. You think a movie is overtly sexist for portraying our very-much-so real society 20 years ago (‘women are not allowed to be pilots’ law)? What about Steve Rogers and the overly pushy ‘get the chick bro, dont be such a wuss’ attitude that carried in the first Captain America movie?

What about other actual 90s movies (made in the 90s, not featuring the 90s) where this sort of a thing was included universally in every movie? I recommend a genuinely cool sci-fi movie from the late 80s: The Abyss. Sadly you’ll find heavy sexism towards the protagonist’s wife from other soldier-type blokes…

I’m personally against sencorship in material featuring a realistic approach to times from the past. Censorship leads to ignorance, and as we’re taught, history is to be learned from.

:thinking: I suppose you must really hate art, especially from that damn Leonardo Whovichi that put a lot of politocal symbolism in supposedly religious work.

Everyone inserts their views into anything they create, and it’s been like that since we discovered that farts smell. Might just be an opinion, but I don’t personally see how people are undergoing this rediscovery period of topics that have been happening for decades, if not I dare say centuries.

5 Likes