Warlock or Priest

Hey guys,

I’m struggling to chose between Warlock or Priest.
I really like the fantasy of warlocks, but I read the specs aren’t in the best place right now. However, warlock have three different damage specs but priest only has one. Usually warlocks have at least one or several reliable specs during the patches.

At the moment I enjoy pretty high keys (around 14-15 atm) and semi-serious pvp (1.6k-2k bracket).

Which class do you think I will get most out of in the long run?

as of now? def priest, warlocks aren’t really sought after for m+ or pvp tbh, but who knows later into expansion

For pvp i’d say priest if it’s rating you’re after.

For M+, only if you have a solid group to do keys with. If you’re pugging you’re going to spend most of your time in LFG rather than playing.

Both classes are fairly bad off however warlock is the safe choice comparitively. Warlocks are also pretty decent they aren’t bad unless Ur Intending to play demo.

Warlocks problem is their utility ain’t useful in dungeon environments and they don’t match a fire mage in DPS.

However you aren’t for example a elemental shaman… which has basically trash AoE ability so it’s useless to alot of the run :rofl:

Shadow priest. Your basically gonna be a healer the moment anything goes wrong 🤷🤷

I’d recommend warlock if your intention is to only be a DPS. One DPS specc classes are never a safe choice.

Neither priests.
I normally wait around an hour to get an invite as 219 ilvl 1280 rio shadow, i dont even get invites on 14s :rofl:

Maybe lock has better chances because of HS and Combat res, maybe though. Not really sure.

Incorrect. Battle Res, Cookies, Gateway.

Demo has uncapped aoe on dogs (when talented) and Implosion which is also uncapped. And has very strong ST (Tyrant). The reason why you don’t see a lot of demos is because it’s not that easy to pull great numbers as demo.

Also, demo scales hard with haste. Only once you obtain 200+ ilvl and have a ton of haste, will demo start to really shine

1 Like

Slowest cast timed BR available. Also the weakest choice both unholy DK or Boomkin would be better options.

Replaceable by potions quite easily.

Niche usuage and rogues shroud / invis potions are pretty good options to replace it.

You seem to misunderstand what I mean here I’m talking unique utility you have to bring a warlock for.

Warriors mages DHs monks etc etc all bring unique buffs and rebuffs which u can’t get without them

Like BL u can only get drums which is half the buff only.

There isn’t any defining utility that u would specifically bring a warlock for in every dungeon.

While true Pet AI is flawed and janky which results in DPS losses in several areas, while Destro offers the same AoE without the pet AI messing things up.

The reason u don’t see them is because both affliction and destro can pull higher numbers then them.

So does affliction with mastery/haste though…

Affliction out dpses demo in high keys
Destro out dpses demo in low keys.

While the pet AI bugs and janky behaviour will forever hold you down.

The specc doesn’t work properly and has a hundred problems. It’s not good. It’s capable of high numbers sure. But it isn’t as strong as destro or affliction

Yeah but you can’t expect every class/spec to bring something that 100% unique. Yes, we don’t bring anything unique, but we do bring 3 utilities at a same time. That counts. Compare that to Spriests, they bring nothing.

9.0.5 is addressing this. Have a look on wowhead’s caster class write ups. All our demons will now listen to the “attack this” button of your primary demon.

Yeah, it’s true it has some problems. But I for one really enjoy Demo as my caster alt. To me that is certainly more entertaining than “dot everything up and spam malefic” or “spam fillers until you can use a spender”.

I was pointing out the flaws to the choice overall so the OP knows that it doesnt do these things. it was a overall Pros and Cons Weighted as i said warlocks Would Be the better choice meta wise.

this is accurate, but nothing on its Pathing. Aggroing random Monsters while passing pulling things through walls and Floors. random LoS Issues with pets and the Imps randomly Delaying attacks.

u have to unsummon and Resummon ur pet constantly… with a 5 sec Cast time among more. Like this aint a Warlock problem

this is just a Pet class Problem… i will always recommend steering clear of them.

im not saying Demo aint fun… im just saying the irritations to trying to be competitive with doesnt lead for a good QoL.

I levelled both classes to 60 and geared them to ~190-195 ilvl. I did a few low keys and can say I don’t really like SPriest but it has very easy rotation as DPS; it is at some 33 Renown and will probably stay there. As Disc/Holy, Priest is great but I don’t like Shadow at all. It seems odd.

As to a Warlock, I really like all three specs but there are downsides. Affliction suffers from GCD in AoE fights although can still do a lot of damage. Destruction is probably the best and possibly the easiest spec to play in Raid/M+ but I am yet to master it. Demonology, as opposed to what some say, can also be competitive and pull big numbers but it really needs to play correct rotation and small mistakes cost you DPS, in both ST/AoE situations. The damage is done by demons so you need to play around it. I personally switch between Affli/Demo.

As an example, I had a run in the Snaguin Depths (me Demo) along with another Warlock (Destro). It was only +3 as I’ve been playing this Lock for less than 2 weeks. Destro did better by ~0.4k, although I made a couple of mistakes on bosses and AoE.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.