{Warrior} Is Prot Viable?

Hi all,

Freshly dinged 60 on my main chara (warrior) and now i seem to be in a predicament, ive read alot about Prot not really being necessary untill main tanking raid end bosses… so my question is what sort of spec would be advisable to run if i still want to farm/solo but plan on dungeoning to gather Pre-BiS gear? is it better to just go 2H dps and forget about the role of Tank or is there a ‘Hybrid’ build that will allow me to do both?

Thanks in Advance!

Go fury, it’s the best DPS spec in the game and the best tank spec. Dungeons just use DW or a 2h and equip a shield for certain bosses. In dugeons the tank role is pretty redundant, you bring a warrior who holds aggro, any warrior that goes into a group not tanking is not worth bringing, not only do they repel a potential tank from joining but they are clearly not the type of player you want to bring.

1 Like

Ok.

I am just 58, but it seems prot is only for the main tanks.
Fury generates way more aggro, and keeps the healer awake, and the dps don’t have to “manage aggro”, which they can’t.
And you can do other things than tanking.

Problems may happen if healer is really undergeared, and you too, or CC can’t push their button, which is often the case.

Even main tanks play fury due to the higher TPS it provides. Prot does not really provide better survivability, the improved shield wall is pretty insignificant.

Raid Tank spec is 0/31/20 for anything else fury is generally better, arms works fine for dungeons but I’d say fury is a lot stronger unless you have BRE or something similar.

Fury is good for solo play as you can keep yourself alive with self heals.

Don’t listen to hunters and warlocks telling you to go fury - they don’t know what they’re talking about.

ARMS is the spec for you. As in “31 arms/20 fury”. Prot is for raid tanking. Fury is for raid DPS. Arms for everything else.

If you want “everything else” then the cookie cutter pvp spec is probably not the choice you want. Use a 31/5/15 instead, taking shield spec, toughness, 1pt improved shield block and 4/5 pt defiance from prot.

Key bits here is you get improved shield block (extra mitigation and more revenge procs) and the extra threat from Defiance, which improves the tanking experience quite a bit. As horde (with access to windfury), this can definitely be reasonable DPS in raids as well.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.