We've lost our ability to be bored

We complain about this game (any game) because we’ve gotten used to sitting back and being entertained, up to a point of genuinely feeling we’re not even responsible for our own entertainment anymore.

We’ve shifted from “Hey, this is a game I can entertain myself in for a good while” to “Hey, this game is interesting, I wonder how long it can entertain me”. The difference is subtle, but it has huge impact on how game developers develop their games.

Currently, Blizzard is making sure we are getting new content every few months in retail WoW. Running out of content has become a big nono. Imagine, if the players get bored! They might leave! Because of this, also gear progression is rather fast. The gear that has you almost maxed out right now will be obsolete in just a few months. The inflation on stats is huge. That means gear isn’t worth much at all. Because of this, any and all work you do, is rather futile. Because of this, anything you achieve lasts only shortly. This destroys the sense of goal in the game, gear-wise.

This gear inflation is caused by the rapid progression in content, which is needed to keep us entertained. Our own entertainment needs are therefore destroying our sense of goal and accomplishment in the game.

And it’s not just the game where this is happening. It’s happening everywhere. People can no longer deal with being bored. We constantly need entertainment and other input, often from multiple sources at the same time. We’re addicted.

4 Likes

So, since I am not bored from BFA at all (I started playing at expansion launch), can I conclude that I am not addicted?

2 Likes

No, you’re properly entertained :smiley:

You sound like you think Blizz not wanting people to run out of content is somehow bad

Why would anyone bother doing the new content if it didn’t give them upgrades? If raids didn’t offer anything better, you’d go and see it and be done with it.

Doesn’t sound like a very good system. Nothing to do with boredome.

3 Likes

I didn’t propose a solution, as I don’t have one. Our mentality changed and because of it, we get less satisfaction from our favorite games.
We need more and more to get our satisfaction.

2 Likes

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I don’t think anything has changed really, the game has worked like this for many years.

You do content while it appeals to you, when it’s no longer interesting you find something else to do. Either in WoW or another game.

4 Likes

i think you are confusing mmos with singleplayer games.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s not just about the game.

It’s part of every day life though. When something enters the ‘normalization’ phase in a person’s mind, the peak interest is no longer there. It’s like how thrill seekers always seek a faster river to rapids ride or a higher place to sky dive from, to keep the adrenalin and excitement flow going.

You can even seen that in simple ways, like, “Wow this 32” monitor is massive." Then a couple of weeks in and it’s completely normal to you. So you start wanting a 50" inch monitor and so on.

I only play when I have a good reason to. Otherwise I log out and do other things. In that way I am never bored or addicted. I still enjoy the game, but that’s only because I don’t go overboard in it any longer.

1 Like

You know games like CSS/CSGO or in my case Chivalry/Mordhau, people play those games for thousands of hours doing literally the same thing… because it’s damn fun !

The activities in WoW as of today and after doing them again and again and again after each Xpac (raids, dungeons, dailies/World Quest rep grind) got so overused it is just boring since quite a few expansions already. They really need to add something new and spicey. Looking at 8.3, it seems they understand this. So I hope 9.0 won’t be a let down.

Well I agree with you about the gear situation, it is something I hate so much. Thats why I never spend my time getting the most BiS gear, I just do anything from Mythic raids.

BUT

I think you totally miss the problem here. Sure new content is when the old gear becomes obsolete, but the true problem are the catch up mechanics mate. If they removed them and connected the patches together, then this problem would just disappear.

Every game we play needs flow of new content, to keep its players. Even CS:GO makes new content once in a time, but its gameplay is interesting enough on its own to handle few months of nothing. WoW is not like that, Blizzard killed the interesting side of PvP years ago and the thing that keeps goin is the PvE. And problem of PvE is, that its just constant threat thats not evolving. Once you finish the Qsts and raids u got nothing to do.

To be honest, Blizzard needs to stop being so lazy and wake up. They have to deliver us more content more frequently than they are doing now. Waiting 3 months for 5 Qsts of 8.2.5 is a freakin joke. That + discarding of catch up mechanics would fix the game.

1 Like

WoW players are the only players in the world that seem to be unable to quit their game if they are bored. Instead they stay subbed through content droughts and say there is “nothing to do”. Meanwhile a new player starting at the same time will get hit by a metric ton of content once reaching max level.

Ever since i got my commodore64 i have purchased only games that entertain me. That is the whole purpose of game: to entertain you. My responsibility to entertain myself covers me choosing products that do so. If game stops entertaining me i choose some other game, but i am not going to fiddle around that non entertaining product and keep on paying for it if it doesn’t offer me thing i am paying for: entertainment.

Resposibility for game to be entertaining is on developers. It’s their job to make game that as many people as possible want to buy, play and keep paying. It is not my responsibility to keep on paying and try to figure out alternative ways that game would still be ok.

All above being said, i do find wow entertaining. I am just in general against the whole idea that if game starts to suck it is somehow our fault for not trying hard enough to be entertained.

Yes, well, you need to learn that just because you feel a certain way doesn’t mean everyone does. That goes for a lot of statements in this forum to be honest, but this seems like a particular case of armchair social commentary.

If there a point in your opinion?

For them there is, but many people feel their opinion has a point or ‘truth’ to it. Even though its only ever subjective to the person sharing it.

She started a conversation at the very least and that’s good community wise!

If you dont like constant progression and constat gear swap, maybe try other gmae that would be more suited for you?

BDO or ESO or GW2 are that sort of games, where in case of BDO progression is slow but constatnt so ahrd long term work pays off, while in ESO and GW2 gear is capped and it storngly dpeends on your build and aproach if it comes to new challenges.

To each his own. I play all of these games more or less and WoW too. Everything brings me soemthing else.

1 Like

As you say blizzard are spitting out content to keep their cutstomers

But what you didn’t thought of is when the new content backfires or become too monotomous players will leave

Quality > Qantity

1 Like

Oh my post is not really aimed at the game itself, but more at how we as people deal with it. The developers simply catered to our needs and I actually think they did a fairly good job.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.