What do you think will happen to retail after classic launches?

This is not quite the same as the “humanity has changed” point, but very solid, and something that concerns me looking towards Classic.

We can safely assume that nearly all Classic players will have played some version of WoW before, and not many will be blundering around learning basics and having a good time without knowing what they’re doing.

I look at all these headline streamers talking about how they’re going to guild up with other pros and semi-pros and smash through raids and Rank 14, and I worry that this will just take all the worst of current WoW into Classic. Not them themselves, because I’ll never bump into them, but the attitude that may spread.

I can only hope that the people who live for this sort of achievement rush will exhaust Classic quickly and go back to BfA, or at least complaining about BfA without playing it.

4 Likes

Ironic when you say

Thats not the actions of a mature player to say that.

1 Like

@Chornoboh: True. :slight_smile:

Many of most enthusiastic seem not to be retail players, so I do not expect Classic to have major negative effects on BfA.

1 Like

I am also a classic-skeptic. The hype train is huge now of course. But once it “crashes” and some people will take of their “rose-tinted nostalgia glasses”. Then the classic player base will shrink significantly.

Oh don’t get me wrong. There will be people playing sure and I am certain that it will NOT become a “dead realm”. But the utopic claims as “Classic will kill retail. Everyone will play classic. Classic will have more pop than retail”…I personally doubt that will come even remotely true.

2 Likes

More eloquent than i put it but yes. Exactly what i meant in detail.

You pay your wow sub and you can play both. Thats so when Classic hits Blizzard can say hey look we went from 3 million to 8 million. Isnt retail wow awesome.

1 Like

You can also twist it and say :" Just because YOU ADORE classic. Doesn’t mean million of others will".

If you are going to make such claims. Then back it up with independent research and player interviews in dozens. Otherwise your personal opinion doesn’t make it a whole wow’s player base opinion.

3 Likes

Meh.

All? No.

Queues where? In the REAL version of WoW? Or Classic?
If Classic: couldn’t care less.
If real version: I wouldn’t worry.

I know I sound negative towards classic and I genuinely am glad that those who want it will be able to play it, but I seriously think it’s overhyped and getting more attention than it deserves.

PS: I think this thread doesn’t belong in General?

1 Like

And is insulting the live playerbase a way to prove your point ?

People here offered their opinion on how classic will work out, did it hurt your pride so much you couldn’t have a civil discussion without targeting players ? Is that what i should expect from the classic playerbase ? Gonna be entertaining then.

Classic will have a huge launch, that’s for sure. But just like many people here i don’t think it’ll last. Blizzard don’t seem to believe it either since they plan to merge their server sized layers later on.

So please, do enlighten me classic boy, why would vanilla with it’s grindy nature capture the attention of new players, who are more into more fast paced and meaningful gameplay ? Why would it destroy the live playerbase when all the QoL and changes were made to please them ?

Classic is hyped lately, and so was BFA. Yet out did it work out for the latest expansion ? Hype only mean a great launch, everything beyond that rely on the game itself, and classic has yet to prove itself to other players than the old wow players. Bon

1 Like

I personally believe it that its connected with some people disliking and hating BfA and thinking that Classic is going to be their “Lord and Savior”.

While I won’t go into detail regarding BfA flaws (which has been discussed in many many many other threads). If BfA had less issues, then Classic would also get less hype…

1 Like

I am going to play classic only for the soul purpose that I want to have the adventure of leveling , and being kind to fellow adventurers with buffs , and tackle hard quests basically what an MMO is supposed to be.

HOWEVER

I do not dread BFA and the story really excites me , and I will always progress in retail , and put all my effort with retail WoW instead of just being stuck at 60 with no progression

1 Like

Just because YOU like it, doesn’t mean millions of others will.
:man_shrugging:

To each their own. At least now people will have a choice. But I just can’t see it being a big thing in the long run.

2 Likes

90% of the comments here seem to stem from people who clearly just don’t like Vanilla or have flat out never tried it.

You think we don’t know that the game will be 15 years old ? That class balance was trash back then ? That it’s content lacking compared to retail ?
Well it so happens that’s still what we’re looking for.

So please stop trying to pretend you know exactly what’s going to happen, because you obviously don’t. People who want to try Classic will be welcome to do so but whether they like it or not will make no difference because the biggest part of the Classic playerbase will consist of those who know what they want, who have been asking for it since ages, who are dying to experience it again and who will most likely stick to it. So trying to apply nowadays wow standards on them is useless. And you don’t have to be jealous of the fact that we’ll be enjoying our experience there much more than many in this trashy pruned version of whatever is left of the game.

3 Likes

And lots of threads complaining that if you don’t use the cookie cutter build with your talent points you can’t perform. That after all the trouble you went to make that cutting edge healer/DPS/Tank hybrid spec :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Can’t speak for others, but:
I started at launch. Played all throughout vanilla.
Did progression raiding. Played with RL friends and made new online ones in an awesome guild.

Yeah, I had fun. I have great memories. But that was then.

I have no desire to soil those memories with an imitation product that tries and emulate something it can never really accurately do.

There’s too many things that they can never replicate; that first experience. Not knowing things. Not being able to fire up Youtube and get to see basically ANYTHING you look for about the game. Yeah I used Thottbot back then, but you can’t compare that to all the stuff we can look up today.
Then there’s the genuine experiences of people in a different age. It’s been 14 years. SO MUCH has changed. So many people have changed. The world has changed. It will never be the same.

But… Even if it would be close enough for me to have quite a similar experience… even then, I still wouldn’t want to play it over the REAL version of WoW. Because WoW nowadays is such a far, far superior product imo.

Yes BfA has it’s problems, but Vanilla had much much much much more and worse problems (for instance; I remember not being able to play for days on end because the servers were THAT unstable - at least ours was).

Anyway… In short; I loved vanilla. But that was then. I love the real, modern, WoW much more as a game.

But it’s fine for the ‘classic-enthousiasts’ to do so? :roll_eyes:

And that’s it isn’t it… you love nothing more than to bash on the version ‘we’ love. Well… expect the same in return then. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I dont understand why there has to be all this palaver about one form of WoW being better than the other - why cant there be a synergy?
All this seems to be nothing more than a ‘mighty sword’ measuring contest or my Dad is bigger than yours.

3 Likes

If you have an opinion which I disagree with then its my sworn duty to devalue and insult it as best as I can.

Welcome to WoW forums.

1 Like

Exactly. Instead of players realising that they’re being given options they’re beating each other the heads with them. You can play one form or another or both should you choose to do so - cant say fairer than that - but why find a way to use those options to insult each other?

Good thing you took care to mention that you’re only speaking for yourself, because you still don’t seem to get it.
Basically everything you mentionned above we already know, and are completely fine with it. I seriously fail to understand what’s so hard about that. Classic is meant for a very specific target audience which consists of players who want to relive the past, and that in no way must mean it has to be exactly as it was back then, because it simply can’t…

Yes, because that was meant for THEM in the first place. They are the ones who asked for it and they would never have been listened to if they weren’t that many. Makes me laugh every time I hear someone trying to clumsily predict how it’s gonna turn out for Classic when they aren’t even concerned by it…

Hum… wat ? Excuse me, how old are you ?
It’s not you I’m “bashing”, if i have to borrow your own out of the line words, it’s the game which isn’t even your own product. You don’t have to flame on your friend’s doll just because she doesn’t like yours, unless you’re 3 years old.
And idk the hell you talking about, it was never about bashing in the first place. We don’t like retail because we have tried it and are entitled to our opinion, but never went anywhere as far as making up silly predictions about its future just because we’re not happy with it. If anything we’re only hoping for it to get better…

2 Likes

I believe its a matter of pride. Some classic fans have gone into full defensive mode. Anyone who even remotely says something negative or even neutral “needs to be tar&feathered and run out of town”.