What do you think will happen to retail after classic launches?

Not in classic, 15 min greate blessings came out mid TBC or something. Reagents are not really annoyance, just gold sink, so i didnt mention them. Anyway there were just too many things that today’s player would find irritating, from those blessings to (only) 14 slot bags.

Classic comes out because Blizzard does not know how to handle latest failures of sub number. They wrongly believe few big mouths on wow forum wanting classic represent playerbase.
It’s very same trap many people who had initial succes failed into.
Huge success ->inflated ego -> losing touch with reality -> signs of decline -> random senseless attempts to set things right -> fast downfall.

ah ok. i didn’t think massive amounts changed between vanilla and TBC so didn’t know when greater blessings came out. BUT goldsinks would be a problem back then as gold WAS hard to come by. and also bag space like you said.

i agree they dont know (or care) how to handle the loss of players. but i dont think they they were “listening” to anyone on the forums. i took a MONSTER backlash to get flying back in WoD. the only other thing i can think of is maybe backing down on CoT portal, and getting rid of azerite armor. i doubt there was anything so drastic about classic. one of my possibilities is that they saw how many people were playing on private servers and thought “$$”. but there are other possibilities.

Sit down, I got a story. Its gonna be long so bring some snacks.

You ever heard about Dark Souls?
Throughout 3 games this series gained lot of popularity, all 3 games were very different in their gameplay, with some things being bad, some good.

But everyone was claiming that the first one (dark souls 1 not demon souls) was the best.
Dark souls 1 still existed, but online was pretty much dead and it was very outdated.

Then one day Dark Souls 1 remaster was released and players rejoiced.
Aside from one checkpoint and graphics the game was pretty much the same, same exploits, same bugs, same glitches (this was important as many bugs and exploits were regular PvP tactics).

So lots of players went back to DS1, old veterans to bring back the skilled punishment and new players who never had the chance to experience the “best” dark souls game.
You can literally see the drop on playerbase for every other DS game if you check steam.

People started playing DS1, and first problems came, graphics were still ugly, many mechanics were old and QoL changes were missing, tons of bugs and glitches that people abused in PvP and gameplay was very clunky.

Over next two months the player base went below the original DS1 and the game completely died, while everyone was still pretending its the best in the series.

But the problem is, playerbase in the other 2 games didnt go equally up, players simply lost interest after witnessing it all.
One remaster basically killed 3 games.

I know that Dark Souls is different game, that it was never meant to live for 15 years, but thats exactly the problem, wow is too old and not exactly on peak of its popularity.

TL;DR

What worries me is that there are many people who are just “suffering” on retail and they are waiting for redemption.
When classic comes tons of people will flock to it, but after they realize its not what they expected, instead of going back to retail, they will stop playing completely, because there is nothing for them on retail and now after classic they could just say: “now I saw it all and I can go home”.

Good night.

1 Like

Problem is its not 2004 anymore while reading texts from the people who hype the “nice and friendly” community of Vanilla/classic i would say its going to be a crap show with 2019 safe space people.

in 2004 people had way more thicker skin than people have in 2019 people nowadays are offended about everything and everyone and i for one cant wait to see what will happen when people of today are forced socialize after so many years of automated grouping tools and not needing to socialize.

2 Likes

they are two seprate games. Its like saying what happens to Starcraft when Heartstone gets a update. Retail players should be happy that Classic has made world of warcraft the go to place on Twitch. that hasent happend in 5 years. More fresh cash to keep updating retail. with new skins, store mounts and transmogs. if i was a retail players i would be pretty happy.

1 Like

Erm…Method world first race in Uldir had more viewers than Classic.

200.000 vs 260.000.

Also, it didn’t die off within a day. :slight_smile:

They have more than enough cash for doing this right now. Investors sure would be happy though.

Activision IQ 50000

They’ll start with Vanilla and after 2 years they will release TBC , then WotLK etc.
Meanwhile the newer expansions will be beyond garbage so they will get us in a loop to play old content from the past while keeping subcription fees as is.

Outstanding move.
Re-feed us with old content since you are not able to create a decent new one.

1 Like

It sure is very smart. Still, if players want to pay to play old content, they must be crazy to not take their money :slight_smile:

You compare a event to someting that is constant? have in mind this is only a beta. can you imagine when it goes live? :slight_smile: PS method will go classic, and still raid retail you will just have to deal with that. The earnings from classic will be used for new content for retail what so harmful about that?. its not the same game they just share a name. Everyone wins. we get our home back retail with get constant updates. for great content for the future.

1 Like

I’m comparing an event with an event.

classic is a 100 day event its a beta. where is retail on twitch now, is anyone streaming it?.

1 Like

Done deal boy.

2 Likes

its gonna be so much fun to watch all the forum rage with “why the hell people dont want to play with me” “why everybody is elitest” “why nobody told me that i need to play bis spec or i wont be able to do anything in classic” "why are people so antisocial everybody told me that they will be social " etc etc

the tears of classic nostalgia ridden people will be delicious

1 Like

Wasn’t respec also somewhat expensive?

1 Like

Starting at 1 gold and going upwards iirc, yes. I think it capped at 20 gold or something, might be more.

Gonna be fun for everyone who buys into the “you can play enhancement/elemental/balance/feral/arms/subtlety/arcane/demonology/survival/retribution if you have a good reputation because there’s a slot for everyone in the raid” hype lie.

But! Gold won’t be AS valuable as hyped to be. Gold making within the community has improved. You can already see the streamers having 2-3 gold by level 30. The relative value of everything is also better understood now. It will be a different economy in comparison altogether.

This is hilarious to read. I can sense the fear mongering amongst you all. Classic isn’t going to kill BFA. So relax.

There will still be people wanting to do current raids and m+ /arenas. It won’t go.

I just find hilarious how you guys attempt to mock those who want to play or try Classic. Just let them be. Let them decide what they prefer. How does bob and emma playing Classic together stop you from enjoying the content you prefer ?

1 Like

Cant blame people for constantly sh*tting on classic atm since theres nothing else better to do in bfa

I am not afraid. To me its just funny to watch people praise the “nice caring and loving” vanilla community while same time they call people names and they go furious if someone dares to say anything negative about vanilla wow.

1 Like

Wow! You’re really unpleasant

1 Like