What does it mean to be Alliance?

The Alliance follows the path of what is right, or at least tries to be.

All authority is given to the Warchief to do whatever the leader wants.

They follow the path which they are told to otherwise there will be consequences. And any objections to it can get you labelled as a traitor.

Doesn’t matter how different their allies are, once they take their oaths then they have to follow Sylvanas no matter what. If anything it is just manipulation. Like when Geya’ says about fighting with honor when joining a conflict where Sylvanas doesn’t care about honor at let Saurfang to die because of it.

Anduin wants people to follow the right path and unlike the Horde people and nations can freely leave the Alliance.

For a faction built of freedom, the Horde does the opposite.

I can’t tell if you are being serious with this or I am being baited.

2 Likes

I shall drop a hint here.
if I was serious I would had written a full Opera of both factions.

3 Likes

The Alliance for Blizzard is a dog and the horde is the bone.

Therefore, Blizzard throws the bone and says the dog to fetch it and thus we have the faction war…

The dog fetches the bone and brings it back to its master ( blizzard) and again the cycle continues…

So, we the alliance will have a story only when the horde story starts…
Hence, the burning of Teldrassil.

In, 8.2…in the what’s next panel… The dev literally said that the alliance will have to fetch the horde to progress their story.

So, that’s what we truly stand for, Enjoy Fetching…

1 Like

Yeah, the Horde has very much been a foil for the Alliance this expansion.

To be the white and perfect Knights of the story. In the most stereotypical way possible. For the good or ill.
And any collective that tries to exit said trope, will probably be shamed back into the fold.

Thats the current depiction. It wasn’t the case initially and throughout most of WoW’s lifetime up until Pandaria. But it is now.

My opinion, but at this point it would’ve been a bliss if Blizzard had made the Alliance go into the ‘soul-searching’ trip they forced on the red team for a second time. If only to at least explain what they are like out of Stormwind or without the Horde.
But i guess that said scenario can’t be under characters like Anduin, and for as long as writers like Golden shelter him.

Pity, i liked the Alliance under Varian. Before that novel that threw a plot nuke at his temple and knocked the interesting out him (with the flaws that made him such).

4 Likes

Stormwind is the Alliance.

1 Like

Without Stormwind Alliance will struggle, I think - the Human potential is holding togather everything. Night Elves would most likely leave and Dwarves and Gnomes go together. As Gilneas will find allies with Kaldorei and Draenei will finally move on.

I would say the non-humans pity
We can’t leave those poor humans alone… they can’t find their own a** with a map and two sherpa guides
Leaving them alone would be like leaving a poor, starving, sick puppy out in the rain…

5 Likes

And because of it they’ll rarely have a defined motive out of Stormwinds interests. Which, in turn, feed on Horde actions to define their own agenda.

Anduin is just the most one-dimensional good guy of the story that only wants peace and has almost any mildly conflicting narrative around him magically erased by certain writers that want to emphasise on how good he is.

That leaves zero room for the faction to develop any kind of psyche beyond “We are the good guys…and we are perfect”. The fact that they are so dependant on Stormwind just accentuates this.
At least thats the impression it gives me.

7 Likes

Thats why I always wondered why has not Night Elves have done anything in Alliance, they are on the other side of the continent and so dormant, at least Sylvanas was pulling some strings in EK. But then again for past few expansion Horde has been defined by their Warchiefs agendas. While I can justify Alliance’s passive state of being the defenders of the Azeroth and bunch of High Morale Characters, sadly no one is too against Stormwinds current politics.

No Anduin is 19 year old teenager who is a priest and he’s behaviour fits his character, he has not seen big loss yet, his mother dying in young age and Father in heroic battle, sending a letter with words “Now I believe, as you do, that peace is the noblest aspiration, but to preserve it you must be willing to fight”. No wonder his ego over the roof and acting all lil Varian on battle-field with utter confidence in his ideas. Thats why I always say his character needs big more development, more drama and shattering of his dream.

1 Like

More Wrathion as a ‘friend’ and Genn as a Mentor/father-figure…
And Valen with his newfound void-curiosity…
The boy’s life will be interesting thats for sure

Genn is acting more of student then teacher recently. :roll_eyes:

And as for rest Grabs a torch Burn it! BURN IT!

Well you say that but the other direction they could take it is if all the boy wonders allies become obsessed with their own personal agenda’s. This actually could happen, look at Night Elves for example they are well on the road to doing exactly this. Genn was never too far away from going on a warpath either, Jaina’s pretty much already there.

The only problem is the causes this would have, and it would basically be that they are going genocidal on the horde and so Anduin has to step in an effectively save the horde from the alliance. Interesting from the alliance perspective but I imagine many horde would not be happy with their faction being represented in this way.

1 Like

So… the new Warchief will be Anduin…?
The New Alliance ™ will be the alliance of bloodthirsty, warmongering leaders crying for vengeance against Anduin’s horde of peace-wanting Taurens and tired-of-war Orcs, noble Blood Elves, loa worshiping respected Trolls… and victimized Forsaken?
The Lion with bloody claws and fangs…

2 Likes

For some time i truly believed this might be an actual possibility.

Given recent events? It feels like living in denial, if i consider this any more than just wistful thinking.

The moment Velen declared Anduin to be wiser than him at times, how Genn and Turalyon bow before him and admit he was right and they were wrong, or the slip about Shandris boasting about ‘Human Potential’ (even if they backpedalled on that one),…point at Blizzards route regarding that particular story.

Anduin is expected to be consistently and repeatedly proven right.
By both characters and the story itself.

A damn shame, really.
But with people like Golden, with quite a say in the story and how it goes, do you really think anyone at Blizzard is going to write something that discredits or clashes against what the ‘Paragon against Toxic Masculinity’ thinks?

EDIT: Some context regarding this last bit:

4 Likes

That’s not really what I was getting at but in my opinion if they are intended to actually end the faction war, then the Horde will fall under the alliance banner, that’ll be the only way the faction conflict would ever end in my estimation.

That said, I think that’s a massive risk since the two factions have forever been a part of the game. A change that radical is both a big affront to players who like it, who apparently still make up a significant portion of the player base, and a very risky decision from a business perspective. As such I don’t really ever think it will happen.

@Zarao - I am never sure of anything when it comes to predictions. Could it happen? I think so, Genn fits the sterotype perfectly even, he’s the angriest man in WoW at the present moment. A long winded story of him being proven to be wrong hardly seems ‘out there’. Still, I don’t really believe that’s the direction the story will go simply because the alliance has never suffered a real loss like that, save Varian, whose death was on par with Grom’s. 10/10 heroic. If I am bluntly honest my perspective is the alliance are a protected class. Nothing bad should befall them, ever. Unless it is necessary to drive forward our narrative. The Only reason Varian died was so the boy wonder could come into power after all.

This is why when they announced BFA I seriously considered quitting WoW, as a mostly Horde player there is only one way this ends. With your decisive defeat. Doesn’t matter if we have the bigger player base, show much more interested in the factional dispute. It’s all irrelevant, the alliance has never been defeated or loses characters. We do almost every single expansion.

Classically? Alliance were the civilised and more advanced defenders fighting off the savage but physically stronger orcs.

At the start of Wow i would have said the Alliance are the “civilised” races with better technology and religion.

Paragon against Toxic Masculinity

The fact she put that down shows she has no idea what she is on about. Since when did a man being masculine have anything to do with being toxic?
A few examples - Uther, Varian, Saurfang, Voljin, Cairne and Rexxar…those are off the top of my head.

8 Likes

That is Social Justice Warrior logic for you.
I would call andiun many thing.
Naivive, Benevolent, Caring, Ignorant, Inexperiance, Virgin, King of stormwind, etc.
But paragon against toxic masculinity?
Never.
I woud sooner call saurfang that(if i ever started using those words).
A man he isnt afraid to show his doubts and accept help without being a wimp?
Far better example then let be friends with out killers andiun.
I do hope blizzard has learned from the countless of sjw screw up’s in other media and not give in to there demands.

6 Likes

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

1 Like

This is a problem and it needs sorting.

Back during the days of WoTLK and indeed, even TBC, their was none of this nonsense, we had good and evil, male and female characters who were either written well or written badly.

Kael’thas was written badly
Brann was written well
Sylvanas was written well
Lady Vashj was written decently/not great
Lana’thel was written well
Arthas was decent, but went slightly downhill near the end
Varian was written very well.

All of these characters (barring Kael’thas) remained true to their core and how Blizzard established them. Barring those were did not appear in W3 and Kael, the W3 heroes of WoTLK was some of the best writing I’d ever seen from Blizzard. References back to W3 and Lordaeron showed care.

Now - it feels more about promoting a message than actually telling a story and that’s not good.

6 Likes