What if varian was leading the alliance during bfa?

So i know that varian (for reasons beyond my understanding) was quiet a populair alliance leader.

1: Why was he populair.
2: Why did you like/hate him.
3: How would he have fought this war.
4: Who do you think was a beter king andiun or varian.

Then there wouldn’t be another faction war because Sylvanas would be too scared to attack. She knows Anduin is holding back on purpose. But to answer all your questions properly.

He was peak human potential and absorbed all the spotlight. Since human fans are the biggest audience of blizzard, him writing a way to slap his big dong in everyone’s face was the easiest face to please that crowd.

I hated him because he existed just to make other Alliance leaders stupid.

He wouldn’t. Sylvanas would be too scared to attack.

Anduin has the potential of being better, just by not being a plot device that exists to ruin other characters progress.

But if there was?

I edited my answer.

There wouldn’t have been war in the first place. Varian knew how to keep the Alliance in check and at the same time the Horde both feared him and respected him. They killed him off at the beginning of Legion because they realized they couldn’t have had another faction war expansion with him around. Stormwind was at the apex of its power under Varian’s rule.

Anduin has the potential of being better, just by not being a plot device that exists to ruin other characters progress.

So, basically, you just described an antagonist. He was indeed an antagonist to the Horde. Congratulations Erevien! You know what an antagonist is!

You are exactly the audience blizzard catered to with having Varian around :slight_smile:

Good. At least my money was well-spent. Imagine paying for a game that makes you sad.

we are in agreement Zandalari.

No idea why he was popular,I read the comics,Stormrage, and Wolfheart and he was far better as a character than in game for me. I like his link to Goldrin as it promoted a certain relationship with Tyrande and Malfurion.He was a great leader but not a perfect one, people need to read Wolfheart where his flaws are exposed especially with his stubborn interaction with Genn and Malfurion during the Darnassus summit.

In my humble opinion,he would have died at the siege of Undercity, physically he is far more imposing than Anduin of that there is no doubt, however his lack of magic and emotional intelligence would have made him prone to many weak decisions prior, he would not have accepted Alleria and the Void elves in the Alliance (They played a huge role in saving the Alliance during the assault) and would have been killed with the troops unlike Anduin who was able to inspire and mass heal everyone with his oowoo soft boyness(now excuse me while I puke the human potential :face_vomiting:)

As opposed to Tyrande who would have just blindly rushed in, like she tried to do in Pandaria. Thankfully she didn’t, thanks to Varian’s teachings.

I honestly think he would have accauly won that seige.
Varian unlike andiun knows war.
He knows the stupidity of charging off to seige blight capital.
He woudnt have flood ogrimar with spies or allow tyranda to leave her home undefended.
If anything he would have send her reforcemence and ask her to park her army in ashenvale near ogrimar.
Sending a clear unspoken messege to the horde:
Leave for silithus and you will lose your capital.
He unlike andiun isnt afraid to show his fangs.
In case of loderian varian would far more likely just ordered it bombed for days until the entire city was ruin’s.
At best the blight factories break and destroy the forsaken for them.
At worse he has to send troop after having destroyed as many of them as possible.
He woudnt be interested in taking sylvanas alive.

(Aeula) #11

Nothing would change. Varian was Anduinised long ago.

If Varian was still alive, the story wouldn’t have got to that point in the first place. Stormwind was acting to mend the wounds between Alliance and Horde in an efficient way under Varian. The Broken Shore, while a disaster due to being a defeat, was much better at bringing the factions together than Anduin’s plan at the Gathering in Stromgarde.

Stormwind suffered a lot when Varian died, and Anduin knows this. He saw the faces of his people, he knows what they think. He knows he still lives in the shadow of his father. And yet he also realizes that he has no other way. He is king now, and must serve Stormwind with all he can, as his father did.

Then night elves would probably have gotten their revenge

Perhaps you should replay the Pandaria quest chain and ‘‘A little patience’’ scenario, Varian and Tyrande are both aggressive and Impulsive and would have rushed in and annihilated the Horde and came out with some casualties, however Tyrande was used as foil for Varian and the Celestials who were teaching him a lesson and trying to subdue his wild wolf persona in order to be more rational.
Speaking of rushing in Tyrande has faced armies alone and single handedly stopped them in their tracks, the concept of assault is different for her than mere humanoids with swords.In Wolfheart Varian got taught a multitude of lessons himself at the hands of Tyrande.

No one could have predicted what Sylvanas had planned, I think you really underestimate her, we might despise her but you gotta admit she is a very capable fighter.
There was no indicator of hostility between the Horde and the Alliance when Sylvanas chose to strike, there was a period of stagnation and recuperation post Legion, the only tactical movement was at Silithus so the Alliance had to move there.

Anduin has no fangs

During Wrath Varian was entering the ruins the same way Anduin did and he wanted revenge back then.

She wouldn’t be caught anyway,she had already planned her escape beforehand as we saw.

No. Literally the first thing Varian says in the scenario is that he’s not going to play their game, play the aggressive game, but will instead draw them out. The celestials didn’t do anything on Varian, they wanted to see how he would win that tricky battle and he passed the test brilliantly on his own. Perhaps Tyrande should have studied more.

Remind me which lessons were taught by Tyrande in Wolfheart. And remind me which armies Tyrande faced alone and stopped in their tracks. If anything, it’s the exact opposite, as we first have Tyrande aknowledging Varian as her leader due to his connection with Goldrinn, then being saved by Varian when orc archers struck her down and the battle was about to be lost.

Also, that’s curious, since when is one of the most influential king, with an ominous bond with a spirit demi-god, a “mere humanoid with a sword”?

No one could have predicted what Sylvanas had planned, I think you really underestimate her, we might despise her but you gotta admit she is a very capable fighter.
There was no indicator of hostility between the Horde and the Alliance when Sylvanas chose to strike, there was a period of stagnation and recuperation post Legion, the only tactical movement was at Silithus so the Alliance had to move there.

Your argument is pointless, given how the reason Sylvanas moved in the first place during the period of stagnation was to deceive Anduin, which obviously wouldn’t have happened if Varian was still king.

Anduin has no fangs

Yes, yes, Anduin has no fangs while Tyrande and Malfurion are as mighty as a lion. A shame that wasn’t enough to save their civilization, while Stormwind stands proud amidst the chaos.

During Wrath Varian was entering the ruins the same way Anduin did and he wanted revenge back then.

No. Varian never entered the ruins during the Battle of the Undercity, he attacked the city from the rear entrance.

She wouldn’t be caught anyway,she had already planned her escape beforehand as we saw.

Given how there was nobody stopping Alleria from shooting Sylvanas in the head or Jaina from freezing her in place aside from Anduin wanting to give a monologue and taking her captive, No.

(Däkär) #16
  1. Dunno if he was popular, but at least I liked him.
  2. I liked him because in vanilla he started as a mystery. We never heard of him in RTS series then all we knew was “Stormwind has a king but he’s kidnapped”, then WotLK came and we had him returned in his angry glory plus he was given a far more satysftying backstory. He was also a leader that was more aggresive and active towards horde and other villains and imo he was pretty much right.
  3. Obviously, he a human in his mid 40ties would scold 10000 years old elves and teach them about tactics and patience, put dwarves in line, brush off draenai, reprimand pandarens, nag about his worgen butler, ignore gnomes and show whole of Azeroth the length and girth of Human Potential™.

On serious side this begs for question, do we mean pre-MoP, aggresive Varian or meek post-MoP Varian? One thing I am sure he wouldn’t be as forgiving as Anduin is.
4. Varian, hands down.

We can’t really make a comparison between Anduin and Varian yet as we don’t know how Anduin is managing the Kingdom of Stormwind yet, I think Stormwind would have collapsed by now under Varian mainly because whilst he was amazing at waging war and pushing into new territories, in Cata we saw that every region except Elwynn Forest was quite literally collapsing behind his back and Stormwind was already leaking citizens who were being displaced due to taxation and being forced to give all of their trade goods to the war effort. Think about that kind of careless leadership and contempt towards his own people combined with a mass refugee crisis with Worgen and Night Elves pouring into Stormwind en masse?

You’re overthinking this. Only the capital cities exist. Only Stormwind exists. And it will keep being so unless the other places get some spotlight if there is another world revamp.

Your point about Stormwind and the problem of refugees is the root of the issue of Stormwind’s characterization post-Legion.

He was popular because he was pretty much the only morally grey character within the alliance. He had the intelligence of a human and strength of an orc, much like Thrall and he was very popular to the horde players as well.

I liked him because, as I stated, he was the only real morally grey character on the alliance side. He was a hero and a good ruler to his people, while looking like a villain to his enemies.

I didn’t like him (not specifically him, but the “high king” role) because he always took the spotlight, which in turn hindered other alliance leaders’ developments and made them look obsolete. This was also part of the reason why horde’s story is much better (subjective), as other horde leaders get to share their opinions on what is going on within the horde.

Overall, Varian’s death made alliance much more dull than it already is. Anduin would exterminate his own people just to achieve his impossible dream of peace. No one in the alliance also questions his soft responses against horde’s genocidal actions. The fact that there’s not a scarlet crusade 2.0 group forming to purge the horde from azeroth really makes me feel alliance is a miserable failure in terms of depth and story.

Anduin has been intentionally holding back against the horde by trying to minimise the amount of civilian casualties they would take, putting his faction in massive numerical loss disadvantage. I believe Varian would’ve slaughtered everything affiliated with the horde and held nothing back to protect his own people, not to mention he wouldn’t really look bad to alliance players for it, as he gave ample opportunities to the horde to be peaceful.

Varian in every way. He was merciful when he should’ve been, and was scary and brutal when he should’ve been. He wouldn’t let his ideals be the death of his people (other than sparing Garrosh, but he didn’t try to make peace with him when Garrish spat on him at least…).

SO an overrated Gary Stue. Like anything else about the human potential personification.