What is with these low-level tanks?

the better tanks don’t use a shield

I’m leveling a warrior alt, and I’ve been asked by the groups, including the healers, to tank with 2H instead of 1H+shield. So far it’s been completely fine.

The majority of groups I’ve been in have had very impatient DPS that try and DPS in the middle of a LOS pull so 2h tanking is pretty much necessary sometimes, you can talk to your groups about it but the fact is 2h tanking produces more TPS and therefore holds aggro better especially at 36 when you get access to the SS+WW combo as a arms warrior at this point I had zero issues with threat and topped the meters every dungeon by a good 10-12% even AoE happy mages couldn’t steal aggro.

This isn’t to say that you need to constantly have a 2h out in zerk stance, after the initial pull combo if I feel I’ll take too much damage I just use a macro to switch to 1h+shield and def stance, the initial burst of threat means I’m free to tab sunder away with no problems.

1 Like

Well to be fair, during my cleave groups i always had my 1h & shield macrod with def stance and taunt.
And i’ve had to use that quite a lot when it got dangerous.
Can’t say many other warriors did the same, atleast not in my groups.

Both examples are very narrow minded, people did this in vanilla and in pservers.
It’s completely viable when people know what they’re in for.

Well I don’t have many Vanilla memories of running instances tanked by DPS Warriors equipped with two handers, nor do I recall ever hearing about cleave groups in Vanilla - but maybe I lead a sheltered life?

7 Likes

maybe people back in vanilla were bad and not playing their class to its maximum potential?

Or maybe they weren’t bad and didn’t look to take shortcuts and avoid class mechanics just because it’s possible at the expense of healer sanity…

8 Likes

can just as easy means more heal req and more downtime. usually 2h tanking is prefered but i have had some idiot tanks with 2h that just wastes the time

3 Likes

Its just a case of healer should get good and wait for tank health to get rly low to heal for better mana effiency

your attempt at trolling is too obvious. subtlety is a trolls best attribute - pump more points into it, please. its too obvious

5 Likes

Waiting for hp to get low to use efficient long cast heal is the way to go to maximise mana efficiency

2h dungeon tanking worked fine in 2005, and it works now. It’s nothing new, and has nothing to do with streamers or retail mentality. As with many things in classic it does however require people to not be idiots, but that’s also true for groups with a 1h+shield tank.

We don’t like to tank because you play dungeons like retail. I even touch the minions when you start aggroing

On the surface, 2H/DW tanking looks fine but the problem is that Battle and Berserker stance both have a x0.8 threat multiplier, making the damage you deal actually being lower in threat than other DPS, so 2H/DW tanking requires a good player (or nice DPS).

1 Like

Just depends on the healer because it means they are the ones carrying the group (more so then usual).
If the healer is fine with it, gl;hf!

I remember a Scarlet Monastery run with a warrior tank where, after a wipe, the healer asked if the guy had a shield. His response:
“I’ve always tank with a 2-hander, its never been a problem for me”

That has got to be one of the most pea-brain dumbss answers I’ve seen.
Of course there’s no problem if you are not the healer you silly tw*t!
I think people forget or selfishly ignore the fact that healers have just as much right to enjoy their game as everyone else.
The healer left after a second wipe when the tank had no problem pulling 3 mobs, waving around his 2-hander.
Good for him.

9 Likes

So by your own logic the healer left because he was bad. It isnt up to the tank to lower his gameplay to adapt to the bad healer. Its up to the healer to get good

1 Like

same mentality as on private servers - anyone that has not been collecting dust for 15 years waiting for blizzard to release classic wants to rush through this poor excuse for content.

No idea how you came to this conclusion but by that same logic if you get punched in the face and you get a nose bleed your nose is bad right? Not the guy doing the punching because hey he has no problem at all either.
The highest bit of gear this tank had was some level 21 green. I think he was just excited because some friends w/e got him the Whirlwind axe at level 32.

Whatever floats your boat Spelbatching, glad we don’t know each other.

9 Likes

I 2h tanked up until lvl 55 (even in ST, switched for shield only for endboss). It’s perfectly fine, but as always, the warrior should use common sense:

• watch for mana/resting, keep up a good pace with that in mind
  • always try to LoS, this is the first biggest mistake that many new warrior aspirants are making, they just facetanking a group of casters/ranged dps mobs… of course they die fast
  • watch out of mages aoe root… this is the second biggest mistake, that tanks are staying in the range of such mobs, while they could just step away and not get hit… this alone saves 50% of health and healing in a pull

None of this has anything to do with 2h or shield and these are the defining factors if priests run out of mana quick or not.

1 Like