What to do when WoW is just not it?

Hey guys,
so as you probably know, BfA iskind of a Shadowlands waiting room rn, and even when I picked up a new role as a M+ tank and started doing something different, WoW is sometimes just not it, especially in a few months when the content really gets old, and especially now, when my country is under quarantine.

So what do you guys do when you’re bored in WoW? What other good MMOs are out there, what challenges in WoW are worth doing? We had an idea with a friend, to level up and play a meme spec (sub rogue, MM hunter etc.) and see if we can do some big numbers in raid despite the specs. Please tell me and save me from boredom.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I’m in a similar situation… WoW is just boring right now. I will probably unsub until Shadowlands drops. The latest patch was disappointing, i don’t enjoy Nya, and pushing 2 year old dungeons that i have run countless times isn’t doing it anymore. I will monitor this thread and hopefully find something that keeps me occupied until Shadowlands.

2 Likes

I’ve been bored since the beginning of BfA. Only thing keeping me playing is my friends. We are mainly leveling some characters and farming xmog while waiting on Shadowlands.

3 Likes

The long boi was worth farming for imo but if you don’t have the right set-up or server then it’s pretty much too late to start now.

Try new stuff ?

Wolfen (arpg) was pretty cool, I recently replayed all the old dawn of War RTS, may play Skyrim if the giant new content mods are finally released and if there’s really nothing left I’m pretty sure Warframe/overwatch/LoL will keep me entertained for a few weeks.

Doom eternal seems to be massive, borderlands 3 is available on Steam andnew dawn horizon is available on pc, all of which were pretty well received so they may be worth giving it a try.

As for me the AH is still keeping me busy and there’s a few things I want to do before unsubbing. Like the WF elite sets, some transmogs, shadowmourne on my war, 5 masks (currently at 4, haven’t run a single vision in weeks) visions and brawler’s guild.

I completely forgot about that. I should do it.

As for SP games, I’m currently playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC and I’m loving it. I just want to have something to do with guildies.

A new MMO could be refreshing, we tried Guild Wars 2 with a friend, but it didn’t really stick. We thought about ESO, but getting all the expansions is quite expensive. I don’t know if there are any other good MMOs which favor a more casual playstyle, since we still do raid in WoW and don’t want to go fulltime on two MMOs at the same time.

Right this minute, I’m playing Bloodborne.

As for other MMOs, there’s; Elder Scrolls, FF14, LOTRO.

the only one i’ve had experience with is FF14 which i like a lot, very story driven. Just not everybody’s cup of tea

1 Like

Post on forums. :crazy_face: No, really i spend here more time than in the short raid schedule I have in-game.

3 Likes

I’m an MMORPG-addict and played all the big ones. WoW seems to be the only one i keep coming back to. And this sucks if current WoW is boring, i have no substitutes…lol.
It’s especially bad right now because of the lockdown…i have no idea what to play!

Try a single player game maybe?

That is a very good idea tho, I should get on that during some of my lonely evenings.

1 Like

Not really into singleplayer games. I bought Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4, it’s not it…if i want a story, i watch a movie. Plus singleplayer games feel lonely. Video games for me personally are about gameplay, challenge, competition and playing with or against other people.

2 Likes

okay, have you tried a Soulsborne game? there’s still a community in them, its challenging and you can work with people or have people invade you.

or how about a MOBA? Likle LoL, HotS, Dota etc.

Or what about an asymmetric pvp game like Last Year or Dead by Daylight?

To be honest, that’s why I am glad I am an RP’er. The game doesn’t -get- like that for us, as there are always things going on, people organising events and so on. Content drought just doesn’t hit us the same way.

This said, RP isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I tend to actually totally change game type if I do feel bored, rather than another MMORPG, I’ll try one of the Total War: Strategy games, ‘Empire’ is my main jam at the moment.

I kind of find that as they say sometimes a Change is as good as A Rest, and a day or two later I’m back on WoW, and not bored anymore.

Maybe try a different style of game?

2 Likes

Souls games are the only singleplayer games i finished. Love them, love Fromsoft.
Played Dota 2 for 7 years, done with it.
Dead by Daylight is too cruel for my taste, not a fan of gore or American Horror tropes.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think i will try Monster Hunter World. The game seems to be basically a game about raiding and getting gear similar to WoW. Do you have experience with that game?

I unfortunately do not, but i have heard good things about it! Seen a bit of gameplay, seems fun.

1 Like

Gearing up alts is pretty much what keeps me occupied atm tbh

Going for all lvl 15 cloak atm

I’m currently leveling 2 alts. My Panda will be locked gradually from 80 to 90 as I go through Loremaster of Pandaria (so ideally a level or two per zone. Not that it matters much with the scaling). My troll will do similar thing from 90 to 100 in Draenor (altho there I’m really interested in 3 zones instead of full Loremaster).

As for when I’m bored with WoW? Drop the sub like a hot potato. Just like that. Nowadays I play WoW for entertainment. The moment I’m not entertained I drop it. If I want challenge, I play one of the Souls games or, well, anything that’s not timegated to hell and back and has an actual ending.

But why not try a new hobby? And this is for anyone who’s looking for ideas:

• Do you work out? Well you’re about to do now. You can do a basic bodyweight routine without any equipment. There’s no excuses not to do it (except, of course if there’s some physical problem preventing it)

• Ever tried playing an instrument? Did you know that guitar, violin and piano aren’t the only instruments in the world? A lot of traditional instruments are really simple to play, yet sound nice. How about ordering a cheap (but quality, preferably) ocarina from the internet and learning your favorite WoW tune? You’ll be surprised how easy it is. What’s that? You have no musical ear? Congratulations! Neither does anyone else until they develop one (save for some rare exceptions).

• Ever tried painting? On contrary to common belief, you don’t need to study for decades to make decent paintings. Buy cheap set of paints and paint along with Bob Ross (but please don’t settle on copying him). You’d be surprised how easy yet rewarding painting simple landscapes is. Too expensive? Try watercolors. They aren’t as childish as you may think.

• Feeling like being a complete nerd? Look up map-making tutorials on YouTube. There’s plenty of them, since people need maps for their novels and D&D campaigns. What better way to spend a late evening / night than blasting some WoW music (Everness and Meisio on YouTube are a gold-mine for this) and drawing fantasy maps? Bonus points if it rains outside

• Do you like the sound of some language? Why not learn the basics for it? The internet is absolutely filled with info for pretty much any language you can think of. Not feeling like dedicating years to perfect a languge? Try Esperanto. It’s fun and you can learn the basic grammar in like day. It’s especially nice if you’ve always wanted to speak Romance languages but don’t have to time to actually learn one.

• Feeling even a tiny hint of creativity? Internet is full of great story prompts. Why not try writing a short stony out of one? You don’t have to show it to anyone and if you’re reading this, it means you already have the equipment to give it a try.

• When was the last time you read a book? I’m currently reading Vol’jin: Shadows of the Horde and loving it. Almost done, next up will be The Shattering. But obviously you don’t have to limit yourself to Warcraft books; there is a whole world of books out there. Do you like Old Gods? You need to read Lovecraft. Give Dagon a try, it’s like a 20-minute read and easily found on the internet since it’s public domain (plenty of audiobook versions on YouTube too).

Sorry for a bit of offtopic. But in case someone is looking for solitary hobbies that can be done alone in your room (except for that one time you go and get equipment if needed), these are some from the top of my head.

2 Likes

Guild wars 2 has its own M+ treadmill effectively called fractals, its not on a timer but its got affixes and stuff hits really dumb hard later on, that might be worth you exploring as a whole since its F2P iirc too.

Wrong.
Just buy wow tokens