What's in store for a Ret Paladin at endgame?

Hey everyone, I’m probably about to drop a PRETTY popular opinion on you. Perhaps even the most popular Wrath opinion ever:
Paladin is my favourite class fantasy. They feel great and I genuinely look forward to logging onto my Paladin to level up. I would very much like to play it. Where’s the catch?

Well, the catch is that I am terrified of Healing or Tanking and therefore I’m pretty sure that no matter how much I lie to myself, I will elect not to at Level 80. I never played during old Wrath and I only just started playing WOTLK Classic recently. I’m learning fights, having done a few HC+s on my current main but I’m nowhere near the position where I think I could handle tanking these bosses or lead a group. That’s just me being completely honest. Healing? I thought maybe, but apparently that’s even harder than Tanking.

So what opportunities are available for a Ret Paladin at endgame? For starters, I LOVE PvP, even just running BGs is enjoyable to me and participating in the daily/weekend Call to Arms. I’d definitely work to getting myself the current set and farm honor for mounts.

How about raids? I imagine not many Rets are getting into Ulduar but how abut Naxx? Are Rets able to fill DPS spots?

One of the main reasons I’m so keen to play as Ret is because I’m also playing Classic Era where pretty much everywhere and everyone advises against rolling a Paladin unless you’re healing. With Retail absolutely not being an option, I’d like to enjoy them somewhere.

Edit: I forgot what might be a very important piece of info, I don’t intend Ret Paladin to be my main, so if I were going to really push content it wouldn’t be on my Ret Paladin. I’m hoping for it to be my main alt.

Rets are fine in PVE. There is a lot of doom sayers but overall rets are performing on par with many other speccs. Obviously not top tier but you wouldn’t be declined cause you rolled a ret.

PvP on otherhand ret is not to great, most people play preg or Prot paladin in pvp as the speccs are just better which is kinda sad.

Most rets in pvp play nuke comps such as Rogue/Ret/Priest or double dps in 2v2.

It could be worse you could be a diehard fury warrior fan in phase 1 and 2. Ret paladins are clearly a support spec with their utility giving them a spot in 25ppl raid. Their dps is below a shaman though who are more valuable, especially after their elementals now resetting after every encounter and ultimately due to heroism/BL that are irreplaceable in 10ppl raids.

1 Like

Get in there and start tanking! There’s nothing more sad than a group filled with DKs, Pallys, Druids and Warriors waiting hours for a Tank because of the preconception that Tanking requieres you to know everything/be perfect.
If nothing else you will learn pulls/pats after 1 run, which people will be grateful to have you with on, and after that its just improving.

Its sad that some people are so self aware that they miss out on having fun, while other apes go in head first and dont even know how much they suck.

1 Like

You have a top tier tank and literally the best healer in game, and you choose to be a below average DPS. What a waste. Most raids will still take 1 Ret for utility anyway, but you will be suffered there for your buff and mitigation spells, not your damage.

You can play ret easily in both …

in pvp its still absolute beast and deals insane dmg, self healing, bubbles, hand of freedom and wings basically ignoring dmg reductions …
People overhyped prego, while it is good, you still need to know how to play it, otherwise its weaker healer than holy and weaker dmg than ret, and you are just trading one set of strengths and weakness for another …

for pve it might be a bit more difficult … if you find yourself normal guild with people who arent absolute idiots who hold internet truths as a holy scripture, you can play ret in pve …

this ret sucks issue comes from the fact that ret isnt top dps, but unless you play some wfr speedrunning guild or something, you can easily have even several rets in your raid and still be able to clear absolutely everything …

for PvE I would recommend getting holy or prot for OS, you might find spot more easily as important role and grab ret stuff for OS and once you are geared you can swap to ret … and guilds will have more reasons to keep you around if you can fill for missing tank or heal, or swap specs on specific bosses …

Same thing that has been in store for them now.
Play 1 of the 2 top tier specs (prot or holy) or ret and complain on the forums your 3rd spec isn’t top tier enough and you might get another buff by icc.

You’re forgetting the lolstorm everything appeal. Big fun so many times.

I’m probably going to practice Tanking, grab engineering as I level. I might just play for fun for now. The real goal was to play whatever I wanted no matter what and then make my DK at 55 because I rerolled from a low pop server and now I can’t make one.

DK and Warlock are my only other two alt choices I’m currently interested in!

I did too. For a long long time. It jus took me 1 raid to take that role and now it seems much easier than dpsing.
Just watch a guide, do naxx 10 once and you’ll get what im saying. Who knows, maybe you will get hooked like i did :wink:

1 Like

Tanking is very fun OP don’t be afraid.
Ret in PvE is really boring as the rotation is extremely basic “mash 5 buttons” with 0 thought behind which one to prioritize really.
I don’t think better gear or higher dps will make it feel any better.

1 Like

If you enjoy PvP then you are in for a treat because paladin is one of the most ( if not THE most ) overtuned class in the game in every possible sense

1 Like

It’s changing tomorrow morning, i have high expectations on this.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.