When you kinda suck - what class/spec?

When you suck in raids (heroic/normal), basically die too much and struggle doing decent dps, what class/spec would you recommend? xD The idea would be to find a class that’s easier to survive on and do acceptable damage. It has to be powerful because if a class parces “middle” or “bottom” of the pack, that probably means I’d be doing barely above tank damage haha.
I tried Ele shammy for a bit in Dazar alor but it was reeeeally hard to be above tanks in dps. I enjoyed Ele the most or all classes/specs, but being bad at it killed all the enjoyment eventually.

Currently looking at Hunter, Mage or warlock. But hunter felt kinda boring, and i have no idea if mage or warlock would be easy to do good damage with. Monk or Ench shama are a possibility but it seems like hybrids are by definition harder to dps with…so I don’t know. Are they?

Having the shortest attention span imaginable doesn’t help with sucking less lol but well…maybe there is a dps spec out there that could work! I only started having this problem in BFA btw, no idea why.

1 Like

Generally it’s whatever you find most comfortable and enjoy the most, which can take some time to find. Unless you’re pushing mythic you’re not really going to be locked out because you’re playing a weaker spec. Example, I’ve played unholy all expac, and before, it’s been one of the lowest parsing raid specs all bfa, but I can still get alot of out it, but that does mean I need to hit 90%+ for my bracket to beat a boomkin with a 70% rank.

Also worth noting, BM hunter is decent as it’s extremely mobile and doesn’t loose dps while moving. Makes life easier if you run around panicking alot.

And my final note, dk for life, and death!

2 Likes

Definitely BM Hunter, its ranged so you can stand away from your targets, allows you to be mobile and does descent DPS.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that the mobility allows you to perform far better than other classes when you’re going by how you sim dps, other specs loose dps moving, bm doesn’t realy.

1 Like

BM will be the last resort I guess xD It’s not fun, but I don’t hate it…so if nothing else works, it will have to do!

I know it seems obvious about playing a spec you enjoy and that all specs are viable, but I’m telling you, I SUCK at this, I can only parse maybe low green at best with most specs. That means gray on challenging bosses. It’s killing any enjoyment. Pretty sure I would enjoy any spec that can do easy damage xD

But so is BM the only one?

Could try Havoc Demon Hunter, good damage, quite easy to pick up, only problem is its melee.

2 Likes

BM is the only that can handle mechanics with that little dps loss I believe, havoc dh is also reknowned to be very simple.

I know what you’re saying, but honestly you can’t underestimate the difference really clicking with your spec can make, I’d be grey ranking if I took a ret pala or fury warrior out, but unholy I’ve got 100% bracket rankings, 99% overall rankings to my name. It just works for me.

1 Like

I see! I need to keep looking then…
I would like to give a mage a go and maybe a warlock, unless it turns out that they are hard to do well with

It’s all down to you, when something clicks, that’s that. It becomes a labour of love, and before you know it, the rotation and cd usage is second nature leaving you free to focus on mechanics while dancing round aoes, pre-emptively cding and climbing over the rest on the meters. All with your ‘inferior’ spec, and then life is good.

1 Like

If you can manage not to suck for 12 seconds or so every 2 minutes play a mage and just learn to combust properly.

1 Like

Remember that many specs can play and “feel” different if your stay balance isn’t optimal, if you don’t have the right azerite traits, or good essences. There are loads of good guides out there (try ivyveins and Wowhead for starters) to choose talents, traits and essences, and to check your stat priority.

As for classes, warlock could be a good choice - loved affliction in Legion for being largely immortal while pumping out big numbers! BfA affliction isn’t quite as good, but you do have healthstones and drain life to help your survivability! Another to consider may be balance druid - pretty simple to play, in-built survivability with barkskin, regrowth and guardian affinity, plus has instants to help with fights where you need more mobility.

1 Like

That sounds great actually, focus for 12 secs and chill for 2 mins haha. Mage could work then xD

Balance seems too spammy and i never really liked druid’s mechanics sadly…

I miss legion xD things were easier then… plenty of good specs I liked

Currently, I’d also say BM hunter. Very simple rotation, mobility, half the damage done by the pet.

All tank speaks are mechanically easy to play, especially Guardian druid, though the difficulty comes from needing to know the encounters and being in the spotlight. Not much competitive pressure here, though, since in most content areas people won’t care about your damage as a tank (short-sighted, and will change at higher M+ keys, but still a plus).

I actually find healing more relaxing than doing damage, but that is because I played healer much longer than I have been a dps. Still, you have the advantage here that your bars are always in the same place and you are usually fairly mobile, too. It helps to know the encounters, but you can also often wing it. It’s more responsibility than the tank has, but doesn’t feel like it as much (mileage may vary, I may just be really used to it).

I’ve been mostly playing my dps specs this expansion and I actually find it the most challenging. You still need to know the encounters, do a lot of mechanics, watch positioning and movement, and still do as much damage as possible, Melee is probably easier. Ranged without much utility is probably also more chilled. The damage meter can be soul crushing, but it also pushes you to improve.

Possibly unhelpful to say, but …

… I’d approach this issue from the opposite end. Don’t look for an easy way to avoid the challenge and the discomfort from not playing well. Instead, look at it as an opportunity to improve as a player. Pick a class and spec you really enjoy and then practice it a lot. Hit the dummies, read up on rotations, watch videos, do battlegrounds, do low M+ keys, heck even do HC dungeons. WoW is not Dark Souls, you can get decent even if you’re not a hardcore gamer and even if you’re older (like me!). All it really takes is the interest and desire to improve.

BM Hunter is easy to play but it’s also easy to do poor damage in 5 man scenarios. It’s also really boring.

Havoc Demon Hunter is the easiest, and most obviously over-buffed, spec in the game.

Havoc DH for melee or BM hunter if you want ranged.

You forgot to say, DH is also extremely boing :smiley: Really, less buttons to press than BM hunters, and people always tend to sh** on them, whilst there really are classes that are way more boring to play…

I’d say druid since im enjoying this one very much lately. I can take any role and even on dps i could choose melee or range dps. They also do allot of dps when it comes to balance druid and since you can heal yourself u would have a great chance of surviving.(although pala’s, monks could do thesame) But if you are stuck between hunter, mage, or warlock i would go for warlock or mage. But when you choose mage you have 0 healing spells unless you choose draenei for gift of naru ofc. Hope it is any use to you but i agree that you should just play what feels right and what you enjoy, at the end its all about gear anyway

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.