Which class spec for returning player

Hello guys,
I know this question will be weird but which class spec should I play ? Thinking about returning to wow.
I want to play dps, melee range doesn’t matter. Play style doesn’t matter. Just tell me the class you offer. That’s all
Thx already.

It’s difficult to choose a spec for someone, you can never know what they like and dislike.

I offer Enhancement Shaman.

Depending on how long ago it was before you stopped playing, you may not be aware that we have Class Trials now,

Class Trials allow you to try each class out at high level with decent gear and all that (for up to a few hours, some restrictions do apply). I’d suggest giving that a try.

You say you want to play DPS, that doesn’t narrow it down much of course since every class allows for that role. If i only had one character, i would always prefer to have a class that at least offers the option of playing another role in the future should you ever choose to. Either to shake things up if you get bored, or in case you want to benefit of those massively shorter queue times or wait times that healers or tanks benefit from.

So, if you really have no prior preference to go off, then i would strike mage, warlock, hunter and rogue off the list because they lack non-dps offspecs; that still leaves 8 others.

Druid offers the most versatility, both for future rolechanges, and for different playstyles as dps, allowing for tank+heal+mdps+rdps.

Paladin and Monk offer all 3 roles as well but only 1 dps spec (mdps) so while theyre very futureproof, theyre less attractive than the druid (unless retribution paladin or windwalker monk really appeal to you).

Shaman offers heal+rdps+mdps so that is a tempting combination of having 2 very different dps specs to choose between right now, and still having the option of healing in the future should you choose to.

Based on this, i would start by trying those 2 classes in a class trial (Druid and Shaman).

If you have any other information to narrow the field then maybe someone can provide a more useful answer.

• Do you plan to focus on PvE or PvP or a mix of both.
  • Do you plan to do much raiding or high end dungeons, or mostly non-competitive or less intense things like questing, exploring and island expeditions.
  • Are you particular to any race (that is just a cosmetic choice, but some people care, and it does limit the class options)
  • Are you specifically looking to be highly desirable for dungeons in the short term (if for example your primary interest is doing a lot of Mythic+ with pugs), this changes over time though, on a long enough timeline, but at the moment there are def. a few dps classes that have a much easier time getting groups than others.
  • Quality of life vs competitiveness. Do you care more about having a class which has a playstyle that you really enjoy, or do you care more about the metrics, being able to outperform the other dps in the group.

If the answers to the above questions lean towards the competitive/dungeon-side of things then i’d maybe add Rogue and Monk to the Class Trial recommendations.

If the answer lean more towards the PvP side of things, then i’d recommend watching a few recent arena videos (either from streamers or maybe youtube videos).

Whichever recommendation (by whomever) or class you’re leaning towards, i can’t recommend enough that you try it out in a Class Trial first.

Im a hunter by heart so thats gonna be my main, my first vanilla hunter was a dwarf…god i miss him but that old account is long gone… :slight_smile:

Hey Shadewrath,

I see that question quite often here. The reality is that while people can offer advice on this, only you can decide ultimately what you like and enjoy, and eventually what you intend in doing, with the class that you choose. The way I see it, there are no wrong choices! :slight_smile:

This is a solid advice. You have the option to try things out, I would highly advise you that you use it!

I’d recommend a Demon Hunter. Quicker to get to 120. Very, very easy to play (and decently fun). That way you can get back into the game and get to know how BFA works without having a difficult spec for a rusty player keeping you back.

While class trials are useful, keep in mind that when you reach 120 you’ll have azerite traits that affects gameplay. Some change for the better, some for the worse. Hence my recommendation for a DH. Nothing to worry about, just blast targets and have fun until you figure things out for yourself.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.