Which of my components is bottlenecking me most?

Recently my rather old pc has run into horrible fps issues in a 28 people raid - meaning barely getting a few fps on the last 3 bosses in Uldir (had some instances where my image would just get stuck for a few seconds, so pretty serious issues).

My pc is as follows:
CPU: i7 2700k Sandy Bridge
GPU: Assus Gaming 1060 8 gb
RAM: 12 gb
HDD: 7200 rpm.

I do have an SSD, but after experiencing freezes in wow for about half a year, a friend recommended me trying to see if I still get those on another drive, and Io, and behold, the freezes stopped once I moved wow from the SSD (to my joy, as they had killed both me and my raid in a couple of occasions). Turns out its at 84% health.

I realize my CPU is quite old, but from the internets I gather it is a decent CPU - so is that my weakest link, or is there something else I could improve significantly? Replacing CPU basically means replacing most of the PC, so figured I’d ask first.

Oh, deary me… time for your box to have an innards transplant, methinks.

In all honesty, it’s yer CPU compounded by yer HDD.
That GPU for that total system is waaaay OP - but keep it; more than OK for WoW & webz-ing.

New 'board, CPU & - sadly - RAM & yer golden… you’ll need another copy of Windows, too… licences don’t transfer with that much ‘surgery’.

Supplemental:
You could do worse than throw in a new SSD to the mix to keep you transition times quick - the amount of work WoW would’ve been heaping on that SSD is what would’ve cooked it.

Thank you for the reply!

Funny enough, the reason why my GPU is so ahead of the rest is because of those freezes I was getting from the SSD. I blamed the GPU and so that was replaced - only to see, to my dismay, that the freezes continued.

Not sure what you mean about Windows. I use Windows 10, licensed. I can install it any time I want, it wasn’t preinstalled.

The Windows licence you got when you bought it is tied to the hardware the installation is using, namely the motherboard - when you ‘rebuild your PC’, as that is effectively what you’ll be doing, your copy of Windows won’t activate a second time.

It can be untied, according to google.

Hmm… not chosen that path - too cynical that my lifeline (my PC) could be rendered unusable. However; if Microsoft say you can, I’d be interested in a link.
I would still suggest budgeting for a new OS, just in case. :slight_smile:

I can’t post links, but just google “re-activating windows 10 after a hardware change”. There is a microsoft post about it, so nothing dodgy.

Oooh; new thing for today - learned, and mine is linked already.

TY.

Whether I remember it or not, when I upgrade, however… :-/

1 Like

Its your disk undoubtedly for loading speeds
I doubt both your ssd disks were faulty simultaniously, that hardly happens, what Motherboard do you use? Did you reinstall your machine after adding the disks? (Not neccesary but can come a long way)

Either mobo compatability but dunno cause its not mentioned but defo disk/cpu

If you replace your cpu you’ll probably need a new Motherboard in case newer cpus are of a different type

I don’t have 2 SSDs, I have one SSD and one HDD. Wow is currently on the HDD, since the SSD was giving me freezes. I tested the health of the SSD with a software and it turned out on 84% health.

Yeah, replacing mobo would mean new cpu too, and probably new ram, which is a bit off for me, since wow is the only thing I’m having issues with. It’s my work pc and handles my work just fine otherwise. I will upgrade it at some point, but if I can improve something else, it would be less of a hassle.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.