Which side has the best lore/story ?(1-120)

As a person who has always rushed, I now wish to make a questing char to actually experience the full lore and stories I have missed, especially since LFD came about.

Of cause I am therefor looking to see which faction, in your opinion, has the best overall stories.
Nwm the messy line since Cata.

And which has the best story in BFA?

There isn’t. You’ve come to the wrong game for a great story, in BfA anyway.

Well, thank you for your very constructive reply :roll_eyes:

Well, if you’re serious about going through questing - stay away from the 110-120 bracket. 40-60, I’d advise a small zone, pick one. Later, MoP had good content overall, the little details were carefully worked on. WotLK’s both original faction starting areas for that xpac were grindy but had a decent plot.

1 Like

Both Kul Tiras and Zandalar are great, but they’re very different: Kul Tiras is more down to earth, and the people and the culture of the nation is a bigger focus, while Zandalar is more ‘epic’. You fight against the corruption in the highest ranks of the Zandalari government. The overall feeling is also different: While on the Alliance side you rebuild a nation, you witness the downfall of an empire on the Horde side.

My personal favorite is easily Drustvar however. It’s a very down to earth zone, you feel like an adventurer again, and your biggest enemy are witches. And Lucille Waycrest is one of the best female characters in the game right now.

The war campaigns (the 8.0 ones) of both Horde and Alliance however are…alright at best. Personally, I prefer the Alliance side here simply because the goals of the campaign are more clear cut. On the Horde it sometimes feels like you’re some random stuff without much purpose.

Everything after 8.0 is…terrible on both sides. There’s not much difference, but the Horde is slightly better.

Everything below 110 comes mostly down to personal taste. 1-60 the Horde is easily superior. They have complete storylines in their zones and not meme-characters like the Alliance in Redridge for example. 60-80 there’s not much difference. The quality on both sides is good. Cataclysm has only neutral zones and Pandaria is again very even. Draenor depends greatly: Do you like Frostwolves or Draenei more?

5 Likes

Well I think both Zandalar and Kul’Tiras stories were pulled out decently in BfA. In Kul’Tiras you can do each zone in whatever order you please, in Zandalar I think it’s better to start with Nazmir, the plots are far more intertwined with another. Zandalar has lots of references to previous expansions and to Vol’Jin’s book, K’T is rather blank slate that was rewritten, so we learn about completely new stuff about which we had no idea they had before.

For Zandalar you have quite detailed take on troll spirituality and their bond with Loas.

So it’s more up to you what you find more appealing.

But when it comes to enitre package - I don’t think that any side could be better than another.

Downfall is too big word, it was more of a setback as in the end threats were defeated and we also witnessed restoration such as return of Sethraliss and Kimbul.
Zandalari were attacked by Alliance, but they stood their ground and with Talanji they’re keen on expanding and reclaiming what is theirs. Their intro is very motivating.

1 Like

I pretend he doesn’t exist.

I feel like Kul Tiras has the best story in terms of cohesion.

Exploring Kul Tiras feels like a big kingdom that is has lost its way and you have to work together with its inhabitants to restore it to glory.
Exploring Zandalar feels more disjointed and the story unfocused; the events are largely out of your control and you’re just sort of along for the ride. It’s especially noticeable if you play through Zuldazar first.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

But back in topic: OP if you want to know all in-depth story of BfA go Horde.
But you will face a story that tells you at every corner that you are a vilain, no mistake about it.
Sylvana’s will make some nasty stuff, Saurfang will rebel, but you and him are guilty by association.

Any doubt about it, Nathanos will make sure they vanish, in your war quest campaign, meaning more “morally grey” actions.

If you wanna play as a good person, go Alliance.
You will be with Anduin, enough said.
But on the other hand you will not get the full picture, what a hell is happening in the other side.

The three CGI cinematics are all Horde sided.

I have quit BfA expansion and resumed my vanilla account, because I hated the Horde side of the story and Alliance is not my faction, sorry.

Got to go to work.

Hope that helped.
Cheers.

2 Likes

What kind of stories are you seeking, because there is a lot of different types :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say that a faction is better than another, more that some zones has better quest than others.

An example is that I am very fond of the Badlands, I think the story in the quest is good.
And it has a questline that always makes me laugh a lot :smile:

Of course I won’t spoil it if you haven’t tried it before, but this quest start a fun questline/story :+1:

And I find the Vashj’ir zone a place that has some great stories built in the quest :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as you completely ignore the War campaign as a story and focus of freeing The Zandalri you would enjoy the Horde side.

I played both sides and found myself enjoying that one more than the Alliance. Thought I have to admit I enjoyed the questing in Drustvar, the old fashioned Witchery was top notch.

For lower levels i will admit I enjoy the Horde more than the Alliance. Stonetalon and Tirsfall where good zones with a long interesting quest line.

4 Likes

I enjoyed Drustvar insanely myself.

From the lower level zones, Duskwood was pretty nice. First zone for every one of my Alliance alts.

1 Like

Hordes side:
Stonetalon is nice if you play it to the end.
Silverpine forest shows lot of Forsaken lore.
Hillsbrad is great! Especially if you played Vanilla. AAAnd everyone loves Jenny Awesome! And her Horse made of Stars! Only Badlands (Thanks to Moothilda calling it, need to play it again) comes close to it.

4 Likes

Duskwood leads into Stranglevale I believe? Both sides of that Quest line are pretty similar, not awful…but they both that that Quest where your a baby raptor and you have to try and escape the Trolls.

I HATE that one part of the quest to the point I now actively avoid it.

4 Likes

One can understand why, yep. I tend to dodge Westfall and Redridge like the plague. Horrible quest-lines, horrid NPCs. Wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy.

1 Like

Hillsbrand is one of the best zones in my opinion :+1:

and of course, no one can hate this one

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I agree with everything in this.
A lot of the quest is good, and has great red thread in it, but that one raptor quest is just horrible (Well I htink it is, of course, som does like it :yum:)

2 Likes

I agree. I hate Westfall it bores the hell out of me. Redridge is also bad I agree. Granted I don’t hate Keeshan. Every fiver of my brains tells me I should but I don’t.

And Nadred…yes just yes.

“Now look at yourself. Now back to me. Now back to yourself again. Yes this Horse IS made of stars.”

5 Likes

Did you know that later when you whipe a raid as Illidan in Destiny Unfulfilled Awesome is AFK behind a door during the fight? :smiley:

As for Badlands: I always laugh when I have to choose girl for a ride (on my bike) …

2 Likes

No, I had no idea… Seems like I missed something here :smile:

So true - and the whole narrative in that part is so great too :joy:

2 Likes