Why are people against TBC boost?

I still don’t understand why people are against the 58 boost offered by Blizzard.

90% of players nowadays pay gold to get quickly boosted to 60, they hate questing and wow world. And where is this gold coming from? Partly from paying money on some third party websites. So they are already paying to get to 60, they just want to pay directly to avoid sitting afk in dungeons and paying mages.

So most people who are against boosts are mages?

People have found every exploit possible, bought and sold gold, are selling tier 2+ items in world chat for gold and so on. And we are concerned as to why people are allowed to actually start leveling in TBC from level 58? Shocking. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both gold buying and dungeon boosting are bad. Gold buyers should be banned as it’s against the ToS and the dungeon exploits should be fixed as well as making boosting less viable (no exp if a lvl 60-70 is in the group etc.). One reason to be against the paid boost, is because if it goes through, then Blizzard won’t have any reason to fix/improve leveling anymore. Paying to skip something broken that should’ve been fixed is just bad.

Other reasons for why the paid boost is bad:

*It didn’t exist in the original and does not help to adapt the game to recreate the experience while staying true to the original (while changes such as pre-nerf raids do)

*It breaks a core RPG-principle, a pillar of the game’s design (one is supposed to level up and make the character stronger in order to earn access to Outland/‘the endgame’, not pay to skip this progress).

*It’s Pay-to-Win (Pay-to-get-Advantage) and takes advantage of real life wealth disparity: A rich person can boost up one character of each class, while a poor person is forced to level

*Makes leveling worse for those that can’t afford the boost, and others (abandonment of Azeroth). It devalues leveling as it no longer feels enjoyable when you know others just boost past it, one would be dumb not to boost oneself from a time perspective so leveling feels meaningless (no one likes to self-handicap themselves), and it lessens the feeling of accomplishment and attachment to the character when 70 is reached

*It’s an indirect way of buying gold (through profession alts for powerful CDs)

*Exacerbates meta-gaming and the hyperfocus on the endgame even more (which is partially what led Retail to be as streamlined as it is)

*Screws with class representation (overpopulation of Warlocks and Hunters, excessive amounts of Druid flying farmers including bots)

*Overpopulation in Outland which is 1/10th the size of Azeroth

*Screws with Faction Balance (it’s easier for people to reroll to Horde)

*Makes it easier for cheaters (fly hackers etc.) and offenders: If they get banned they can simply boost up again. Before they had to level from scratch, making the impact of the ban much bigger.

*Speeds players closer to stagnation: There is far less to do in the endgame in TBC compared to Retail, which will cause the stagnation that is the worst enemy of MMOs (players quit and complain there is nothing to do)

*Contributes to making the game less social and isolated within guilds (one no longer meets people while leveling), and the server community will suffer because of it

*Screws with the economy:
-there will be less people leveling in the world to spot and report on bots
-bots can use South American/Russian accounts to buy cheap boosts and easily enter farming spots at 58 or level up in Outland
-any new player that uses the 58 boost will be 1) accustomed to the idea of spending irl money to buy progression, and 2) plays a character that by 2 levels time will need to earn ~1000g to purchase an epic mount; this is the perfect audience for MTX’s and hence gold buying --> increase in botting
-will lead to more inflation as botted gold enters the economy, and the increased prices will tempt players that are far behind to buy gold, leading to a vicious cycle

*The change in player population will make them more friendly to further MTXs and give Blizzard better legitimacy to implement them (‘foot in the door’-tactic)

*Rewards the “I don’t like this part of the game, so it should change to fit me”-mentality, paving the way for further skips (as opposed to “the player adapting to the game”)

…and probably a whole lot more as the game isn’t designed around a level boost (Retail and other modern MMOs, on the other hand, are). And it’s all for a demographic that struggles to play the game to begin with, due to either time constraints or don’t have the patience and perseverance to tackle the leveling process.

16 Likes

As both are things that should not be in the game. Instead of fixing the problem few days after launch they just ignored it and are putting a band-aid right now. Plus they want to monetize Classic and this is how they do it. People got used to in game boost - here is ours.

New players that buy the 58 boost will go to third party sites to buy like 10 000 gold to not be behind everyone else. So that so Blizzard will quickly add WoW token to the game - so that so bots can wash their botted gold providing it to the same player, just with Blizzard getting the cut.

Mages are still in demand for 58+ level boost, guides are already up. And it does use that broken pathing as well :wink:

Top quality game. 6/10.

1 Like

You’re mixing in-game issues (mage boost) with microtransactions (paid boost) and you’re saying that because they are a lot of issues, it’s okay to have one more.

You’re also saying that bought gold is a standard, which is a baseless claim.

You should review your position.

If you want to to know why the boost is bad for the game, you can watch madseason’s video about it, maybe Asmongold’s video on his secondary channel, or read the multiple threads that talk about it.

I am against the boost because it allows you to gain progression in the game without playing the game, which inherently reduces the value of the game.

6 Likes

im not going to go into because there is already 100 topics explaining why, a number of youtube videos explaining why, each with in-depth evolution as to why its bad, none of this " oh the boost is good becasue i cba to level anymore " BS,

for every 1 reason the boost is " good " theres 10 reasons why its utterly bad,
everyone who has tried to defend has been scrambling for any sort of leverage because their arguments are so 1 dimensional, they often result in using the word " strawmanning
" simply because theyre out of ideas after being shut down so many times

1 Like

Because people are dillusional.

I have a 53 warlock that I have afk leveled through stockades/sm/mara while working from home. I have literally invested zero time in this character and I have paid approx 1k gold for it.

What’s the difference?

1 Like

holy mother of Jesus :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

Well mate, you say every argument defending boosts are one dimensional and that we are “scrambling” for argument. Yet your argument against is for us to view YouTube videos and read the current threads?

Get a grip mate.

3 Likes

The mage boost is an in-game service paid using in-game gold which has been earned in-game. While it does hurt the game as it renders leveling less relevant, it is fundamentally as much a service as buying an Elixir of Mongoose instead of leveling a herbalist and an alchemist.

The paid boost is a micro-transaction.

Please put some effort in the discussion. Understanding that mage boosts are an in-game service and that the boost is a micro-transaction is pretty basic.

2 Likes

Your character should still be level 1 while the boost should not be a thing.

1 Like

Think you find I’ve created my own thread a while ago and responded to loads of others explaining my views, and I’m not doing it again so yeah go watch some videos instead

Haha you’ve sat at the entrance of a dungeon for 53 levels while someone else plays the game for you and you tell me to get a grip lol,

How embarrassing, gtfo

4 Likes

I will try to answer most of the responses here towards me.

1. Blizzard is not going to ban dungeon boosting, just a small nerf to blizzard spell is not going to change anything.

2. Classic is already monetized. And do you guys believe Mages which make 1k gold per day just have it in their bags? Most of them sell this gold for dollars. In classic you don’t need 10k+ gold in bags, there is no way to actually spend it, it’s better to sell it.

3. Yes, I believe that when most people are getting boosts - being afk in dungeons, paying money to some third-parties but also spending a week in the process - so it’s better to just let them pay this money to blizzard rather than to some booster.

4. Unless we actually fix the boosting, I am all for 58 boost. If we fix boosting, then of course, no more 58 boosts.

5. Again, mage-boosts are in-game services which help mages sell their gold, as there is no good reason to continue boosting people after you reach 10k gold. 90% of mage boosters are actually selling gold outside the game. It’s their job.

We are just trying to remove this “standing afk at the entrance of the dungeon while some mage is selling gold on third-party sites” with the 58 boost. I think it’s reasonable.

P.S. Can we make pristine servers where boosting will not be tolerated? We have RP servers right? So why not have other servers, where only “real players” log on?

1 Like

Because there is no other news forthcoming on TBC, and people get bored.

Trust me, if we had a release date, or could play the damn prepatch already, this entire storm-in-a-teacup would already be over. Because in reality, the majority doesn’t care about the boost, because it doesn’t affect them.

2 Likes

That isn’t even remotely true. Most subs still don’t have a 60, and most 60’s have less than 1k gold, which isn’t enough to buy boost to max level. But nice strawman I guess.

Edit: Also you are mentioning RMT gold buying in a list of things people supposedly aren’t concerned about, to argue why it’s stupid to be concerned about boosts. This is really stupid, people are concerned about RMT and boosts, and boosts will increase the amount of RMT gold in the game. Honestly worst post I have seen on the subject.

2 Likes

The only problem with dungeon boosting is mages abusing the pathing. Otherwise there is no problem for a high geared character to help out/boost other players. This has always been in WoW.

I play on Earthshaker and I see about 10 mages that offer boosts. That is not a big percent of the population + If you are a raider in Classic 1 Naxx lockout will cost your around 500/600 gold if you dont wipe.

I am leveling my 6th toon and I had a friend boost a mage for 10 levels while he was boosting his alts. I don’t enjoy my mage as much as I enjoy my other characters I leveled by hand.

1 Like

Additionally, you should read a little about the topic before making a useless post. Now you are talking about fresh servers as if it were your idea. There has been a movement for months asking this and you can just look at top threads to see them…

1 Like

Hopefully, one week from now, we’ll be talking about raid tuning after the Karazhan/Gruul/Mag test on Beta instead of this silly boosting stuff

Because it’s an MMORPG. Levelling is at it’s very core and the boosts directly undermine this and enforce an “endgame only” retail mindset. Paying for progression is stupid and should never be a thing.

And stop with the pathetic usual strawmans. Mage boosting and gold buying are also massive issues.

5 Likes

I think you are pushing against a sentiment that people who boost are somehow cheating the game - really, they are cheating themselves by denying themselves the experience. And since the MMORPG is a collective experience, that cheapens it for everyone.

To a degree this applies to everything mentioned - jumping straight to 58, being boosted by a mage to 60, buying gold from someone who owns bots bouncing around BRD.

Its a different but related sentiment - but for me at some level how easy (most?) Classic Raiding proved sort of cheapened it - even if I think if it was much harder far fewer would be interested. I am sort of worried you are going to see the same for phases 1 and 2 in TBC.

Anyway whether that bothers you or not is really just… a philosophical or psychological thing. In practice two weeks into TBC it will likely be near impossible to tell the difference between a boosted character and a character levelled over the course of the prepatch. Unless they are BE/Draenei I guess. And I’m not sure its going to dramatically impact how the game is played. (Arguments on the boost facilitating bots may apply - but they rest on Blizzard doing anything to stop bots, and the evidence of that seems incredibly slim.)

The idea that you are denying people to play with in say Scarlet Monastery just seems like… a highly optimistic view of what the old world’s going to look like once TBC opens.

this is just 1 of the reasons why, it has been said over and over and over but they dont want to hear it my friend

2 Likes