Why can't we have moderate storylines anymore?

can i haz your stuff

1 Like

I usually go with “Duty calls and I must answer. For Azeroth!”

1 Like

Can I have y…

Awww :wrench:U :unamused:
Always late :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I agree with this, actually.

I don’t want to be the chosen one, completing some giant destiny. It’s an MMO, so are my dungeon group ALL chosen ones? Are we a gaggle of chosens? I want to be a plucky adventurer, I don’t need a power fantasy, I’m pretty happy in life.

And it doesn’t have to be killing spiders in a sunny glade either. Just because someone doesn’t like the current scale of the story, doesn’t mean they want the furthest opposite example. I liked taking down the Lich King, but I wasn’t a chosen one then, I was someone recruited to join the fight.

I’m not far into SL at the moment but as soon as that obelisk reacted ONLY TO THIS CHAMPION, I rolled my eyes so far back I could see yesterday.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think players should be chosen ones in multi-player games. It works for single player, but this is an MMO. Be who you are, WoW. <3

7 Likes

but the feeling of your character being such a small cog in the giant living world of Azeroth was always the appeal to me.
what’s that? a bundle of furs need to be delivered to the next village ready for winter? you can’t do it so your relying on me? IM ON IT!

I always got a kick out of that kind of stuff.

But saving the universe? meh who cares.

2 Likes

I kind of miss the era of a more simplistic lore with the horde vs the alliance.

SL is the second expansion I feel disconnected from after MoP, none of the covenants speak to me so I’m gonna go Venthyr because it’s BiS but it makes no sense to me that I’m a shaman vampire whatever, it just sounds silly.

4 Likes

Meanwhile I don’t recall a time in WoW in which you were an actual “just another guy”. Even in Classic you are dealing with gods, demi gods, hell spawns, and so on. You were never “just a guy”.

Even the greatest of heroes have time for the everyday Joe.

The great thing about classic is just being an ordinary dude in the world, who occasionally sees extraordinary shiz.

1 Like

I dont mind that stuff, but it’s hard to imagine wow retaining appeal for me if my character never graduates beyond that. 16 years later and still being “just a Joe” seems off to me.

Not to say I like the whole godslayer thing, I just see it as preferable (moving from one to the other) as opposed to being stuck on the first.

By the end of classic we were humble adventurers turned Dragonslayers…at what point did it become too much? TBC had us fighting a demon lord. In wrath we fight an undead king, cata a literal dragon demigod figure.

I think as charming as it is if you stick to dragons as your “high apex” of believable stuff, you would very quickly run out of content or intrigue. It would be hard to pull off multiple expos with that premise without accusations of recycling.

1 Like

I mean, what did you expect?

The “adventurers” have been dealing with enormous threats since classic, did you seriously think they would not get some kind of recognition?

And that the scope of the game would remain the same?

If you want to talk about how the story is progressing and you don’t like it fine, but come on, it’s pretty obvious that the adventurers would get stronger overtime and get recognized as powerful.

And i mean, it was also pretty obvious that eventually we would have to face the full might of threats like the burning legion.

I too have some gripes with how they handled the story, especially how they rushed some things, but not with the increase in scope necessarily.

1 Like

Personally i do wish i could play as a simple mercenary/bounty hunter/adventurer rather than a bastard child of superman and WH40k god emperor.

The main story in wow has been so over the top for years now that i don’t even care about the main plot anymore.

There is something fundamentally wrong in writing if you care more about turnips in your MoP farm than new lore characters and the “great evil” that by the end of the expansion goes down like a sack of potatoes.

4 Likes

Or just preference?

Look, if you think about it logically it would not make sense to be some random peon anymore.

As i said before, it’s one thing to complain about story development, but another about the story power progression, in a game like wow, to always be at the same stakes it would not make sense.

Unless the adventurer you are playing right now is not the same as it was in classic up to right now. Which it’s strongly implied that you are indeed playing the same character.

Though i do like the short storylines in zones those are often more engaging and have more interesting characters than following Jaina/Anduin/Thrall into the battle for umphteenth time.

3 Likes

You can have compelling stories without having to be superman.

In fact, if anything, introducing overpowered characters (allies or enemies) can be very bad for the story/lore if handled incorrectly.

Example with N’Zoth. This dude is an old god. We should have been unable to do anything to him. Same with C’thun and all other old gods. The simple fact we can defeat them make them look like anything but a real threat.

Maybe the story (and the game) would have been much better if the stories revolved around conspiracies, treasons, etc around the theme of the control of azeroth.

We’d still be hunting people like Arugal, and maybe dire wolves, but after all these expansions, these people (like Arugal) would certainly have been much more involved in what is going on around azeroth.

1 Like

We wouldn’t be able to do anything to n’zoth? He wasn’t even the strongest dude we have faced in the story, the strongest were in legion.

And in shadowlands it seems the power scaling is about the same, or even higher, which would actually make more sense considering the story at this point. After legion n’zoth is kinda weaksauce. Not weak, but definitely not a massive threat.

That’s pretty much my point.

N’Zoth was depicted to be the least powerful of the old gods, if I recall correctly. But still an old god.

So, what are the achievements of the least powerful old god ? Why is he a threat ?

• he organized festivals in Uldum and Pandaria
  • he gave us some free hallucinating mushroom

ok cool. /shrug

1 Like

We can talk about gameplay, but the problem for me was that realistically, n’zoth was handled too late in the story, he would have been a massive problem before legion, but after that with threats such as the full might of the burning legion, argus, sargeras etc… it just falls flat on it’s face.

Anyway, i do not think that power level has anything to do with how well the story is written. Anyway, if the shadowlands pantheon really is as powerful as the titans are, then i think we are in for a massive spike in power, even higher than legion.

The moderate stories never went away. They are there. You still have to do menial tasks. In fact, not even 10 minutes within Bastion and you have to collect pelts to give to the broke stablehand and also to collect a cat’s favorite toys that she scattered around the place. You also have to collect a flower.

They are there.

1 Like

Chris Metzen once said he thought of Blizzard as a hero factory.

Warcraft in particular doesn’t settle for the mediocre. If the choice is between something being cool or epic, it’ll go for super epic. Because that’s Warcraft.

Illidan wasn’t imprisoned for 8 years and 3 months. He was imprisoned for 10.000 years!

Onyxia wasn’t some horse-sized lizard in a cave. They scaled that girl up so she took up more space than any 18 inch monitor in 2004 could display, because it was epic!

There are other medieval fantasy universes out there that settle for more plain, down-to-earth adventures. But Warcraft has always gone for the epic fantasy that’s over the top.

For me that’s the appeal. It’s been the appeal ever since Medivh opened a dark portal to another world from which huge, oversized Orcs poured through.

1 Like