Why did Vulperas join Horde?

I still don’t get it. It makes no sense.

From the Vulpera’s perspective:
•Their society is based around a nomadic scavenger lifestyle. I doubt they would be able to adjust to the feudal system
•Joining the Horde would obligate them to fight the Alliance, with whom they have no quarrel

From the Horde’s perspective:
•The Vulpera are nomads, so they don’t have any cities or fortifications that the horde can make use of, but even then it would be in a worthless desert.
•Their race doesn’t really have many valuable traits and overall the Vulpera have little to offer to the Horde
•They are de facto at war with the faithless Sethrak. Allying the Vulpera could result in a counter-alliance between the Sethrak and the Alliance (mutually benefits both)

The best thing the Alliance can do is ally the Sethrak to cooperate against the Horde, their common enemy, but that probably won’t happen because Blizzard hates scaly races. I think they’re adorable <3

I can take “It’s fan-service” as an answer, but I was hoping for a bit more :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Actually, the writing team made up alliance “Purge Squads” (later renamed to something not quite as on the nose IIRC) that viciously attack the Vulpera so that they DO have a quarrel.

It’s similar to the Goblins “No Witnesses” thing. Alliance pushes stuff into the Horde.

3 Likes

The evil empire of stormwind also known as the alliance released a rain of steel and destruction on our people. Our wise leader Kiro made us join the horde so they can protect us from them in return. Next time should the blue soldiers dare to attack us.

4 Likes

They did? I assumed they were neutral to each other because in the Alliance Vol’dun assault WQs (or anywhere else), you aren’t even able to kill any Vulperas.

Vulpera are a cute fox race, so they boost Horde player count. That’s the reason.

In-universe I guess you could mention that thing with the purge squads, but it was such a badly written asspull and was never referenced again, so whatev.

3 Likes

As if the Horde needed more players :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Apparently they did, and the Alliance also needed diaper gnomes.

1 Like

Ya.

2 Likes

Well I might as well tell the full story:

1. Even if their name sounds super edgy, in reality those squads just want to burn the vulpera war supplies;
  2. The vulpera dropped their neutrality as they were supplying the zandalari in preparation for the Battle of Dazar’alor, so it was a tactical strike.

Of course you wouldn’t KNOW that unless you played Alliance during the incursions of Vol’dun. Cause then Blizz wouldn’t be able to show how “the Alliance can also be evil, war brings the worst out of people, morally grey, yada yada yada”.

Also purge squad was just the PTR name, now they are called 7th Incinerators, or something like that. People still refer to them as purge squads because of how ridiculous that sounds. And because furries should indeed be purged.

2 Likes

It is indeed a bit of a tonal whiplash to go from “NO! Do not press the advantage! Let the Zandalari grieve in peace!” to “Purge squads LMAO”. Or the other way around, for that matter.

3 Likes

Because Blizzard says so. They want to appeal to the yiff crowd, keep them playing. And for whatever reason furries are disgustingly rich, making them more likely to be whales.

2 Likes

Never gonna happen, Sethraliss was on Talanji’s Coronation, if she wants to be tied to Zandalari the devoted Sethrak will follow.

1 Like

Because we are the coolest.

1 Like

(There was a coronation?) I meant the Faithless Sethrak. I haven’t played through the Horde Vol’dun questline, but the Faithless have a tonne of valuable assets, don’t they? And no fundamental conflict with the Alliance.

Faithless were broken in the questing experience, their leader killed and it ended with Sethraliss reappearing, if Sethrak would want to survive they should reunite with devoted ones and embrace back their mother god.

and their mother god wants to be also tied with Zandalari and Sethrak appear again in Children’s week when you visit their temple with Zandalari child.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. The Faithless settlements are made out to be massive and well-developed, and their influence reaching all across Vol’dun. I find it hard to believe that only an avatar of their late loa and some fox savages would be enough to break them. But I’m not going to argue about it :stuck_out_tongue:

Well look at it like this. We have the option for a new neutral race. Sethrak.

Devoted go Horde.
Faithless go Alliance.

Everyone gets something nice from a gameplay perspective.

3 Likes

Faithless won’t go anywhere. And doubt there iwll be any neutral race considering that Blizz regretted making neutral pandaren.

Which makes the more interesting question why they act as a united people at all. What percentage of Vulpera did actually follow Kiro into the Horde? Why would they have a unified leadership?

All vulpera we meet in vol’dun are friendly towards horde. At least all the quests I’ve seen so far.

1 Like