Why do people hate Cataclysm?

Is it really because they hate challenging dungeons so much? Those were my best dungeon memories in WoW.

3 Likes

The dungeons at the start of the expansion are the only thing I remember as a positive to Cataclysm actually. I didn’t like anything else to be honest - the new (at the time) idea that classes have to be locked in a spec instead of being simply classes, as they were in Wrath, how they filled them with passives as soon as you spent a point in a talent tree, how RBGs were cesspools of bugs and exploits, Arenas were grossly imbalanced up to the time I stopped playing the expansion, it had in my opinion the worst zones of any WoW expansion to date, I absolutely hate the revamped old world… I just didn’t like anything about it except the dungeons for 2-3 weeks.

12 Likes

At the start it was a good expansion but as always Blizzard listened to kids in the forums and then it became a sh*tty expansion like the other expansions released after it. This game was only perfect in The Burning Crusade. Probably they were not listening to bad players writing in the forums.

4 Likes

I loved Cata and I was severely disappointed when Blizzard gave in to the QQ and made the dungeon content easier. On launch I had a blast in the dungeons because finally lvling became more interesting again. Sadly it did not last :frowning:

8 Likes

the dungeon were difficult as must be.
But the reshaping of the world was not always perfect and sometimes not finished. The scattering of the endgame levelling zones wasnt simple to manage.
And imho the movielike questlines were too much.
Dragon Soul was BAD. Firelands not so bad but it was a forever grind.
It was the 1st exp i took a hiatus of 6 months

2 Likes
  1. the lore about Deathwing and his whole goal existed only in books. It wasn’t as accessible as Warcraft 3. even so deathwing was written before Arthas as even a idea

2. dungeons were to hard at the beginning

3. first 3 raids were really hard in heroic while moderate in normal.

4. but in reality , the last raid tier ruined it for many since only 3 fight were really fun and new

5. with the world revamp. Older player got a easy target to hate at , and we know it’s easier to get people to hate something if already other hate it.

Cata should have been before woltk and it would have been called the best addon , since design wise it fits more to classic / tbc , than to the newer addons

1 Like

Basically Dragon Soul.

2 Likes

No not because of that but for me personally cause the story didn’t make any sense at all to me and because the beautiful old world was destroyed that I loved so much old zones got revamped.

5 Likes

Since I blame this for the most part. Can I ask you what did you know about Deathwing and his cult before cata ?

We dont hate cataclysm, just Alliance hate it.

Actually for my the dungeons and TolbBarad are the only things I even remember.

What do you mean by the Alliance hate it?

I personally dislike it because at the start we had difficult dungeons back only to be nerfed to the ground because whiners who could not or did not want to learn how to play their classes.
After the nerfs to dungeons they were almost on the level of WOTLK aoe boredom fest again.

Year of dragon soul one of the most boring raid ever and the start of LFR crap.

Overhaul of the world was nice but i vastly prefer the old world that had timeless quests unlike cataclysm revamp that is now have been stuck to that time warped limbo for years.

Cataclysm was also the start of restricting specs with forced talent trees which i can stand.

Deathwing as a villain after Arthas was extremely boring and underwhelming.

4 Likes

Personally I love (most of) the content that Cata brought to the game. I didn’t play during the actual expansion, but I doubt the classes were really bad back then.

I think most people simply found it disappointing after WOTLK, and the difficulty became all over the place… really easy questing, then really hard dungeons/raids.

I also assume a lot of people didn’t like the world revamp either, and the removal of many RP stuff including class quests. It was Cata where the old world became more… deliberately designed. But this meant it felt less like a living, breathing world, and more like a video game. Leveling became linear within the zone, and there were clear planned paths on which zones lead where.

Many other might dislike it because many of the new content was low level, and they didn’t want to create alts.

Dragon Soul is pretty bad though, I’m not gonna defend that one.

Dungeons were challenging for the first few weeks only anyway. After you got geared they were trivial, just as in any other expansion pre-Legion. Hardly a reason to hate it. I’d say it was mostly Dragon Soul that created the Cata “bad karma”.

Nothing actually.

I never really had much interest in the dungeons and raids.
Its my least favourite expansion because I found the zones disjointed which made the major themes wishy washy and hard to follow.
Also not a big fan of how most of the old zones were changed.

ABSOLUTELY hate Cataclysm. Not for the dungeons of course. Not even for the world revamp.

For me Cata marks the start of the new WoW, or the death of the old successful game that reached it’s peak in WotLK.

Amongst other things, Cataclysm destroyed the classes. With the dumb talent system, changes on how glyphs work and all that.

It became very obvious that all these changes were hated by people. Subs dropped like a snowfall… Why Blizzard sticks to some of the systems they brought in Cata and won’t do a “reset” to TBC-WotLK play style is a mystery to me.

I hope classic (that I personally don’t like) will teach them something…

6 Likes

And that’s what’s the biggest flaw of Deathwing. He actually is a character deep in the Warcraft lore .

But to really appreciate him

You would need to read :

1. day of the dragon ( released before vanilla ) were Deathwing infiltrates humans and orcs and manipulates them while acting as one of them and later travels to Outland to hide black dragon eggs and import nether dragon eggs

2. night of the dragons were Sinestra ( the only dragon who survived mating with Deathwing ) uses the nether dragon essence and her eggs to make twillight dragons , since Deathwing sees Nefarians chromatic dragons as failure / doesn’t is fast enough. Which in end time is shown to be wrong since Chromagus is after Deathwing the strongest dragon and able to fight all aspects and even in death can’t be destroyed ( other book again )

3. war of the ancients 3 books were we see how Deathwing became mad and why he betrayed his fellow aspects

4. during classic you have many books ingame / people talking about Deathwing in a few sentences ( he is kinda like a legend / mythos for normal people ). One even talks about how Deathwing will attack stormwind.

And there is so much more. But for the casual it’s to much work to get into all this lore. Warcraft 3 with a human character is much easier to understand.

4 Likes
  1. World revamp which was new but EK/KL needs a severe update to bring it up to date from the Cataclysm era. You can’t even tell there’s a huge war going on again as nothing about the rest of the game outside a expansion has seen any change at all.

2. Removal of most pre-Cataclysm stuff like class quests. I don’t care, a level 20 and 50 quest for some item isn’t a replacement at all. At least the old class quests taught you how to do things in your class/spec.

3. Dragonsoul, nuff said.

4. Quests were far too on the rail for my liking, it was impossible not to get lost, find something new or a quest you never done before as each quest just led you to the next one along the chain. You were being guided and that’s stuck ever since.