Why does memory of lucid dream effect energy and not combo points?

I smell caster bias again, I finally decided to play mage and warlock particularly since in the world of caster they made the most sense as it feels the closest to rogue if rogue was to be a caster.

as the title states “Why does memory of lucid dream effect energy and not combo points?” what kind of BS Bias is this? imagine a world where you got 4-5 combo points generated from mutilate, why cant rogue have this but warlock and mage got it with their icicles and soulshards etc?

I’m surprised that you talk about “World of Caster” when to me it feels things are heavily in the favour of Melee classes, and rogues are a premium M+ class - but then again the real content I do tends to be more pvp based than pve, so I can’t speak for raid viability.

To try and actually answer the question however, combo points happen way faster than shards.

Shards are made up of 10 shard fragments.

To use destro as the example, a chaos bolt takes 2 Soul Shards to cast and hits hard. A single cast of incinerate, your main filler spell, casts 1 Soul Shard fragment (2 on crits). A single cast of conflagrate, your set-up spell, generates 5 Soul Shard fragments. So when you’re using your rotation properly, you need about 4-5 casts per Shard, meaning 8-10 casts per Chaos Bolt.

As a rogue (I’ll use assassination as an example because you’re specced into it now), your finishers take 5 combo points to max out and hit hard. A single cast of mutilate, your main filler spell, generates 2 combo points. A single cast of garrote, your set-up/maintaining dot, generates 1 combo point. So when using your rotation properly (I think) you need 3 casts per 5 combo points, meaning 3 casts per finisher.

Bearing in mind no rogue abilities have cast timers but warlocks do:

• Warlock takes more casts to build up to the spells were actual damage is.
  • Warlock takes longer to get those casts out.

Lucid Dream essentially halves the build time for casters. For rogues, it lets you get more abilities off in a smaller amount of time but doesn’t change the CGD limitation.

Although I can see how having your mutilate build 4 combo points would be a really fun playstyle, I can see why Blizzard balanced it the way they did. Finishers every other ability would be insane. Is that a problem? Mm. Possibly not. It might make rogue Tier 1 but there’s nothing wrong with that. But they balanced it around energy rather than combo points for that reason.

Hope that helped; sorry it probably is not the answer you were wanting, but it does make sense.

2 Likes

Because for a Rogue energy is tied directly to ability usage, whereas for a caster mana isn’t (just about every caster DPS has infinite mana anyways, it may as well not exist.) So they receive Soul Shards, Iciciles, etc instead. Plus, more energy = more mutilates = more combo points. So in the end it amounts to the same really.

I know you are a fellow worgen but …

90% of enemies can silence and bloody knock you constantly to interrupt your casts, so no!

What classes are you facing for that to ever be the case, cause the only one i can agree with that for is Shadow priest/demo lock I see cast spells where their not impactful enough to justify having a essence be that huge

Ele shaman and balance primarily use instant casts to do alot of their damage, in player vs player atleast. Every other caster can force you into a scenario where you have to blow kick on -something- or can immune for a period long enough to roll the game or just DR their CC till them > you

but energy gives you combo points…

You never mentioned that this was in pvp

in PvE/mechagon/naj so many enemies just constantly play pingpong with you

i thought you were implying it to be pvp, given my brain thinks PVP when i think of getting interrupted on a caster, as the only time I have been is during siege of boralus (i think) theres not a great deal to worry about pacifying / silencing you in PVE as a caster either, given most stuff gets trivialized before it makes melee range of you

or you could be getting 100% more combo points for the same energy spend, meaning you spend less GCDs doing what you need to do, rogue compensates with high haste, vigor and traits for more than enough energy regen as it is, especially during the Vendetta window, just spit balling the fact that if memory of the lucid dream behaved how it does for casters rogue and feral druid would see alot more 5 combo point finishers instead of setting for 4.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.