Why does raiding all favour ranged?

This has been a thing for so many years now where melee are just so inferior to ranged in mythic raiding and I thought maybe something would change but it never has.

Ranged always do the most damage and are generally less punished by mechanics.

why has nothing ever been done?

Another biased myopic untrue post.

:yawning_face:

1 Like

Why? Pretty sure windwalker monks and unholy dk’s are very strong in the current raid.

1 Like

There are certain bosses that are made much more difficult with a melee heavy group (Denny in the current raid, Ilgy in the last one are two that come to mind), but that certainly isn’t the case across all raids and all bosses.

Notice the replies are from heroic raiders/normal raiders with at most shriekwing mythic kill? hilarious.

This aint about normal raiding or heroic.

Ranged don’t by default do the most damage. This tier it was in fact dks and to a lesser extent ww monks who proved to be the early power houses for damage, followed by hunters. In 9.0.5 SP appears to rule single target, but assa rogue and DK are still very close. Cleave is still all dks and monks.

There are two main reasons we see less melee in the average raid comp.

1. Mechanics that happen away from the boss cause melee to lose too much uptime.

2. Theres often just not enough space around the boss if they have a spread or run out style mechanic.

The biggest issue melee have is competition for spots, not damage output or performance. How you can solve that I don’t know, mechanics need to happen, and ranged get their fair share of “You must stop doing damage now” type mechanics too.

1 Like

Right back at you. But it doesn’t make us wrong.

I stopped raiding but I have killed more than just shriekwing…

Blockquote Ranged don’t by default do the most damage. This tier it was in fact dks and to a lesser extent ww monks who proved to be the early power houses for damage, followed by hunters. In 9.0.5 SP appears to rule single target, but assa rogue and DK are still very close. Cleave is still all dks and monks.

Well monks were powerhouses at the start, but as more people got 226 gear that shifted more towards boomkins and warlocks and hunters. Yeah death knights are the only really good melee, but that’s also because anti magic zone is king in castle nathria.

1/10 mythic, BFA reeks of boosting.

But I’m not 1/10 and I have more than one kill on the bosses I’ve killed. Reeks of I stopped raiding and you can’t read.

2/10 in achievements oof, big raider.

Killing last 2 bosses in nya’lotha within 1-2 days of each other BFA, last 3 in Dazar’alor all on the same day.

b-b-b-boosted.

Man you’re dumb. Dazar’alor wasn’t even current when I killed it.

Oh so I was right about Nya’lotha gotcha.

Exactly my point, you’re not a mythic raider, killing content from patches ago XD

Go to my feats of strength, none are boosted. I’m not “currently” raiding mythic but I have enough CE’s. Stop trying so hard dude. Regardless of whether I’m a mythic raider or not, it doesn’t invalidate my opinion.

Concentrate on making a case to prove or disprove the OP instead of going for massive “gotchas” that prove nothing.

that is like someone saying they were masters / GM in wings of liberty compared to now.

PVP rated only 2k when person was 2k in like 2013.

That stuff is irrelevant now

Sigh, you’ve still failed to address why you think raiding favours ranged…

Only if you consider current first hand experience in the hardest possible content necessary to be able to form an opinion or answer a question. Personally I consider it unnecessary for both of those things.

“regardless of whether I’m a mythic raider or not, it doesn’t invalidate my opinion”

Yes it does.

Also your feat of strengths I only see 4 cutting edge kills, 1 from mop and 1 from wod is that meant to mean anything these days? the nya’lotha one is a 100% boost, no guild can kill carapace then proceed to kill n’zoth in 2 days, maybe argus is your only legit CE.

If we use your logic you have 160 achi points. You therefore are entitled to no opinion on the matter…

The only reason why ranged are usually more favored for mythic raiding is because they have more space to deal with mechanics. Melee’s are bound to a 5-10 yard range from the boss, while ranged have up to 40 yards to work with. And since DPS is often important in these fights, you’d want minimal downtime = ranged better.

Really depends on the fight though. On some fights this will not be a consideration where in others melee might run out of space completely if there’s too many (Sludgefist). So yes, generally ranged’s are taken more than melee’s when it comes to filling the roster after the necessary roles have been filled (all raid buffs). With that being said, melee’s still have space in mythic raids and are generally not “discriminated” against too much. It’s usually going to be a 60/40 ranged-melee split.