Why don't they try to remove all time-gating for anything that gives character-power and keep that for cosmetics/mounts/pets instead?

For example: you enter a patch and you can immediately drop yourself into dungeons/PvP/raids whatever and get whatever you want as long as you have the skill; no grinding for tier 6.7.6.2.clause.7 of your borrowed powers; not even that much gearing other than the one you get in the new patch after you down a hard boss.

I think the main argument (the devs consider) is that “most players will lose interest and just raid-log”; I hear that and I think it’s a possibility; but: why don’t they try once to see (it’s not like they haven’t tried things in the past that were risky (and it’s not like the game died if they backtracked (unless they’re scared people may LIKE it))).

1 Like

They are already gated behind dungeon,daily,raid,pvp and rep and more besides.
Why do collector’s have to suffer even more due to a small % of raiders at top level.
If anything gating should be removed for older content atleast for collectors.

I never said that; nothing will change for collectors; same grinding. I said to remove grinding for gametypes like raiding or pvp or dungeons.

If you want to remove grinding from collecting then it’s not collecting; it’s getting.

It looks like Blizz are going in that direction, at least for PvE.

9.2 will unlock the double legendary in the 5th week (which will be the 3rd mythic raid week). Completing the chapter 7 quest will (probably) be sufficient. Obviously it would’ve been nicer if this feature had been unlocked right from the start of 9.2, but I guess Blizzard didn’t have enough time to balance double legendaries and they didn’t want to risk the Race to World First to turn out to be too easy or too hard.

I honestly don’t fully understand how the double legendary unlocks work in 9.2, but it seems that grinding to revered reputation is only necessary if one wants to make it easier for alts to get the Unity belt.

1 Like

No and it shows you have no idea how collecting works at all so do not comment on it with such a fallacy strawman.

Collecting if you removed the time gate would still have drop rates at very low % 1-3333 for Sha for example and gold need and also groups to help. I implore you to actually look into work needed to get collections instead of making flipant replies showing that you are without doubt not educated in this side of the game.

1 Like

Because Investors, MAU etc
Need to keep the people subbed long enough

2 Likes

It’s unlocked with a quest of the patch questline, and I guess it’s also sold with gold in case for some stupid reason someone has the rep but not the quests.

They will probably remove one of the two methods I guess but I don’t know.

Ew that’s horrible. Why do you ever want to do mundane stuff for a small chance to get something and then waste your time camping the same mundane stuff for the same extremely low chance forever and ever…

I personally banned myself from farming mounts that don’t look good to me; life is too short to waste it on an artificial carrot on a stick designed to sell monthly fees; even pets are way better because they battle.

By “the devs” you really mean Ion.
In an interview during MOP Ion wondered why we, the players, were clicking the same seven cannons every day.
I don’t think he understood world content. He was part of the Elitist Jerks guild (maybe still is?) and probably raid-logged himself. So likely he is thinking of what would make him do content such as “clicking the same seven cannons every day”.

Since Ion took over the direction of the game in WoD every thing is systematised and we get a check list of tasks every day, work orders, callings, mission table or some things are now weekly - Korthia fill the bar or Great Vault of Disappointment. We are steered into doing particular tasks or playing in a particular way.
They don’t trust the players to find their own path or to play how they wish to play.
As someone who does not play the game the way they want me to play I have little to do in SL, so I’m farming old stuff (got my Ashes this week, yay!).

I really hope that player reaction to Systemsland will prompt a new direction for the game for 10.0, but I’m not that hopeful as I still believe they don’t trust us enough to create a game where we choose how to play.

Systema delenda est…

3 Likes

WoW is bloated with all kinds of useless crap at the moment. I was reading “The WoW Diary” from John Staats (a level designers from Vanilla WoW who documented the game’s development process) today and found his chapter on gameplay interesting:

Staats, John. “Gameplay.” The WoW Diary, whenitsready, 2018, pp. 130:

What he says is so true. Back then, the WoW game designers only focused a few very simple systems that made up the core of the game. The designers back then knew that didn’t they need 5 different types of borrowed power to make a good game. I guess back then the WoW team actually played good games; whereas now they only have time for crappy mobile games. Too bad the team changed so much over the years. :frowning:

3 Likes

Where does that reasoning end tho ? Gear is basically oldest and most impactful implementation of borrowed power. Do we also have to get rid of gear altogether because it prevents you from instantly clearing the last raid ?

The very fact that gear progression was timegated is what set WoW appart from its early competitors & made the game far more accessible. That’s a big part of Vanilla’s success, allowing a far more casual crowd to play at the highest level compared to the standards of that era.

Gating character progression is overall far healthier than the opposite.

Also why moving the goalpost from timegating to grinds ? What are you exactly arguing about here, grinds or their implementation ? I’ll have to assume you stand by the title & are talking about timegating anything related to player power.

I mean we already went through this motion of timegating VS freely grind with AP. That’s why we don’t have an infinite hamster wheel grind with diminishing return such as AP in shadowlands and instead get a “do two weekly quests and you’re optimal” form of timegating.

We ran the experiment and people burned out trying to beat the timer by grinding AP for hours & securing meaningless upgrades a week or two earlier than the others. Devs were basically saving players from themselves at that point.

Ion took over with legion’s release iirc, so that means the early legion systems were developed under the direction of Chilton, Ion’s previous boss. And even now Ion anwsers to John Hight afaik so it’s not as if he was the uncontested leader calling all the shots, merely a public face.

Don’t turn this into a witch hunt, the current game is the product of the entire dev team for better or worse.

Nice quotations. By the way: I know why they said that in terms of a comparison to other games. Back then: competitor games had devolved to being too “nerdy”: meaning they had more complex subsystems that were hard to understand to some people and younger audiences (WoW was actually considered an extremely simplistic and 'newb friendly" game compared to what it replaced).

No, and I implied why. Gear is collected after doing something that requires skill; that is good because gear reflects actual ability that way; I have submitted a more complete suggestion of having a new improved vault which gives 1 item from any loot table once a week as long as players have killed a boss at least X times in X weeks.

Its easy to create a weird power-progress related grind and call it “content” but difficult create something like Mage Tower.

Thus, they go for the 1st one and couldn’t care less about the silent casuals.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.