Why is there this innate expectation that everyone should know what they are doing?

Weird to also notice that most of the whine posts on this forum are people using a retail avatar.

Seriously ??? Aren’t they more hot subject on this forum ???

Blue never answered to any of the serious stuff around, a lot of people are basically suffering while playing your game. People leave, people migrate, people despair to not be able to play (beside being slaughtered each 5 minutes) !

Overcrowded servers (because of the insane idea of layering instead of new servers…), total faction imbalance, cheaters, and all… we are really far from the vanilla experience we wanted…

What are you going to DO ???

Are blues not allowed to voice their personal opinion on stuff?

1 Like

This is why blues don’t post often.

The stuff I mentioned IS the optimal loot distribution.

Wild Growth Shoulders. That just sounds like a Druid item, doesnt it? Don’t even need to look at the stats to know that.

If you can’t understand that then you clearly need to l2p.

Amen.

Just play the game guys.

On the subject of PvP realms, a topic that has dominated the forums for the last few weeks I’d say the following:

If a person, genuinely, honestly and truly didn’t know what PvP realms were; assumed ‘PvP’ stood for ‘Playing Very Pretty’ and thought "ooh sounds just right for me, I can fulfill all my Gnome dress-up fantasies’ … and then ended up shocked, appalled and heartbroken to find themselves ganked by other players then yes, I might possibly find it in myself to find an iota of sympathy for that person; if only because their charming-but-naive view of the world has now been tragically warped.

But it would only be an iota of sympathy, because if you make a decision on something without bothering to find out anything about that something then the consequences for that bad choice must, I’m afraid, lie with you.

A five-second Google search would have informed our fictitious ‘Playing Very Pretty’ person exactly what they were getting into when they rolled PvP. Five seconds! It’s not a huge time sink within our lives.

And for all the swarms of people crying on the forums that they are being ganked on PvP realms, because factions are imbalanced, and realms are overpopulated I find it equally hard to summon up a great deal of sympathy. They made (or were influenced into making) a deliberate choice, and now are facing the consequences of that choice.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there it is.

1 Like

Wrong. Nobody knew at launch PVP would be like this, because nobody knew servers would have 5 times the players.

2 Likes

Thottbot is your friend, bru

Frankly, if you ever played an MMO before (or if you have a speckle of common sense), you would easily realize that unrestricted world PVP means “gank fest”. You may not know the full extent of it, or if your faction is the dominant one (then again, if you have the doubt you could always look it up right), but to say a person can roll PvP without expecting to be ganked by max levels (even if you don’t even know what the max lvl is at that point) is the pinnacle of naiveté

Because it’s a MMO. You do things, and get things, by cooperating with people in a group when in dungeons and raids.

As such, you WILL behave according to the rules. There is no room for “creativity” when facing a boss: you will abide to the mechanics or will end up killed, or getting the whole party killed.

Also, as a courtesy to other players, you WILL NOT roll on items that best fit other classes.

This offends me. I am enjoying wpvp as alliance on a pvp server.

I’m a minority though. Everybody seems to think world ranking sucks. I like it :frowning:

Funny that you mention that, because most, if not all, of the people who urge players to roll on PvP servers describe a very romanticized version of WoW - one that you will ‘truly feel that the world is alive and dangerous at all times’ - while at the same time scorning PvE servers.

It actually wasn’t as bad before honor was implemented.

Ever since Phase 2 landed, people who play Alliance in PvP servers have literally been unable to do anything within the game world due to Horde ( which is by far the dominant faction across almost all the PvP servers in all regions ) forming raids to camp/farm people for ‘ez pz honor’.

It’s very much similar to people forming 5 man groups, clearing entire zones of mobs on PvE servers, leaving players who prefer to quest solo with no mobs to kill. See the issue here?

People weren’t complaining before Honor came out, were they? OK, maybe 1 or 2 QQ posts, but nothing crazy. The current situation is unbearable.

Hopefully the BG queues for horde will be short enough to greatly reduce the world ganking.

I would like to say though it is pretty annoying when you are trying to give the right information to these players. They get annoyed at the facts and stomp their feet " I don’t want to know anything i’d rather go in blind"

Why do we ignore these people ? We don’t we simply inform and they get moody about it.

You can’t be bothered to look up the info , but good news we have and here is some player advice. Then they get all stroppy.

You just can’t win. You try to help them they whine and cry. You don’t help them , community is toxic and elitist no one is helpful.

Sigh

It has more to do with how you do it, because the subtext of how you phrase it can come off as arrogant very easily when you start to “tell” people your own social norms, when they clearly don’t share it.

There’s a whole field of study dedicated towards improving how to impart knowledge unto others, in the most efficient ways possible.
There are very good reasons for why that is.

But then of course, even if you explain the how and the why, there’s still no guarantee they’ll share your values of its importance.
But then we get into the field of manipulation, and the studies dedicated towards how to subtly convince people to agree with you, even if they wouldn’t normally do so.

There’s much more to social interaction than what your average gamer is aware and capable of.

However, sociologically speaking, people will instead not bother with this kind of stuff on average and just go look for their own social cliques instead. It’ll just take time.

Here is one scenario a player kept asking me where to find certain mining nodes. I told them what I knew but there was certain things for which I couldn’t give a straight answer. So I told the individual there was plenty of online guides how to level up mining and which spots are the most efficient to go mine certain nodes.

Instead of thanks I will go check it out , he/she got incredibly stroppy with me and felt like doing a quick google/bing search was far too much effort. Was annoyed at me that I wasn’t being anymore helpful.

I mean you can’t win. So I did the search for them told the info they required linked the site in discord through private message. Instead of a thanks they felt like I was trying to fob them off. Then started asking the same questions in guild chat Oo .

You expect me to feel sorry for the player ? That’s just pure laziness 101

This basically breaks the trust the individual had in you, and breaks the reciprocation loop.

Which is due to the difference of social norms as explained here:

It also has to do with how you phrased it. If you threw in compliments, reassurances or if you were just straight up factual about it, or if you took an “arrogant tone” so to speak, in the eyes of the beholder, even if you didn’t intend to.

Told you, there’s more to it than just “I did” or “I didn’t”.

The problem is… people. As usually.

Me and my friends really thought people want to experience the Vanilla experience again. You know… no rush… taking a good time… But it turned out they don´t.

All we could see was layer abusing. Spell cleaving xp farms. Using addons making this game a complete joke.

These days most people are engineers as now everyone knows it makes them Gods in PVP. I remember there weren´t many engineers back then as people simply thought being able to create themselves an armor or potion will be more useful. Everyone is farming pre-BIS items because everyone knows what pre-BIS items are and where they drop.

I have to say I am very happy and glad I could be part of Vanilla 15 years ago. Becase not knowing anything was the best Vanilla ´s feature.

Still I am having fun. Even though Classic is nowhere near Vanilla in terms of fun, to me it´s still 500 % more fun than BFA. So yes… most likely will keep playing it… but I really think we need WoW 2 now…

You’re saying that at launch people didn’t know what PvP stood for, and didn’t know what the servers were?

I call BS.

1 Like