Will BC dismantle our Classic (Era) Guilds?!

A clarification from the devs would be warmly welcomed.

• As a GM, will staying back on Classic Era allow me to keep my guild intact? - that’s the least we can accept! (I mean, intact except members who chose to follow BC without cloning, that’s fair)
  • Will cloning of my character allow me to have the guild on both games? One version on BC for those who follow, and one on Classic Era for those who remain?

Notice to dear readers in a hurry to answer my question instead of the Blue Ones: don’t think that it has a simple answer. The interview and the announcement contradict each other, and people in other forums also seem confused.

On the one hand, they present the advancing towards BC as “natural” (a marketing argument, we can imagine) and then they speak of a server-image that will be captured just before the release to allow managing the clones’ requests.

We therefore have, in fact, a cloning of the whole servers, as some of us asked for, but it’s hidden behind a paywall. Let the paywall be if needed, but let’s be honest and explain it more clearly. I just want to know what fate has in store for us, and whether it’s worth it for me or not, to reinvest myself in time and money for a game that would disband the communities in 6 months.

3 Likes

You can’t stay back in classic Era - You have to transfer away from your current server (because that one is going to be a TBC server soon) to get into the new classic Era server.
In that sense you have to re-create your guild on the classic Era server - Most likely not everyone form your current guild will pay and transfer to the Era server with you but i guess you can find plenty of players who need a new guild on the Era server.

Someone else who doesn’t know how the TBC/Classic server situation works.

If they all copy or transfer, yes.

Yes.

1 Like

That’s not what they explained.

If you choose to have a character remain in WoW Classic, it will be available to play on a new Classic Era realm. These new realms are available as a new game client in the Battle.net desktop app. Friends from your original realm who also choose to play on the Classic Era realm will join you on the same realm. Your friends list will continue to be available no matter where you end up.

Realm names will remain the same for both Burning Crusade Classic and Classic Era realms and player characters will exist as they are before the pre-expansion patch on both era types.

Incorrect again. The payment is for cloning in order to play both on Classic Era and BC Era.

Anyway I hope your assomptions are wrong because if not, it’s not merely a dealbreaker, for me, it’s a complete Blizzard cancellation.

I guess it’s how you understood it, I’d like that to be true, but it wasn’t clear at all from what I read. :sweat:

They have said that players should choose to continue in the current realms going into TBC or transfer to new Classic era realms or copy the character to have both, but that is just a simplifaction so everyone could understand it and does not reflect what actually will happen internally with the data, because for a player is okay just understand what will happen do them even if he doesn’t know how Blizzard will make it possible.

Internally actually the characters are not transferred to another realm nor copied to another realm when the player chooses so. What will happen internally is that one day the current realm will close down for maintenance and that day they will do the following.

1 Make a backup of all realms with all characters and guilds
2 Create new Classic Era realms as clones of the current Classic realms with the backup data
3 Upgrade the current Classic realms to TBC Classic

That means that before the realms are online and you have yet to made a decision all your characters are already copied. Once you log in for the first time the game will ask you if you want to continue into TBC or transfer to Classic but what does options will actually do is allow you to play with one of the copies of your character and lock the other one. If you choose to copy, probably it will be possible even after making one the first choice, what the game will actually do is unlock the second version of your character.

Because they will do this with a complete copy of all realm characters will keep everything including things that are usually removed on realm transfers, like friends list, guilds, mails, etc. The only different that if one only choose one option the copy that they don’t choose will remain as a ghost in the other realm instead of being totally removed, people could see him in friends list and guild character list but no player will be able to use it.

4 Likes

That is exactly how I see the thing, they will make a shadow-clone of all the servers data, then hide this behind a pay-wall in order to milk us or force us to make a hard choice between BC and Classic (so then they can see what most people prefer between the two when we have to make a hard choice, so they can assign the maintenance accordingly).

Just to clarify this shadow-copy is not a secret. They confirmed in Blizzconline QA that this is what will happen. They just explained the process as there was a transfer or a copy at the moment we choose to do it because from our perspective there is no difference between actually doing that or just activating a hidden copy and probably it is easier to understand than the shadow-copy. We are users, we only need to know what happens, we don’t need to understand how it is made to play the game.

Yes, yet you may have already seen how much people misunderstood it…

Yes, maybe the use of the words “transfer” and “copy” has been a bad choice by Blizzard.

Maybe it will be best if the options that players have are something like

• Keep playing in a TBC version of your realm
  • Keep playing in a forever Classic version of your realm
  • Keep playing in both

Is like a choose your story book, that you choose in what page to continue the story but everyone understand that the story has been already writen and you only choose wich one you want to follow.

2 Likes

Even these guys, like, an ex-dev of BC, they have misunderstood lol

https://youtu.be/Xun92-7UTVA (about 09:00)

1 Like

Of course they will. 40 player raids teams needing to drop to 25 and have a completely different composition. It’s going to break up many many raid teams and guilds.

Yeah of course, for those following on BC.

But I was worrying for a technical point, for the guilds who stay on Classic Era (WoW 1.12).

Oh - I plan on doing both! I fear that on both sides it will be a guild roster mess!

For moving to TBC it will be the 40 down to 25 thing. However I feel that when I copy char to classic vanilla, that I will be one of the few doing that in the guild and that there will therefore not be 40 of us left in classic vanilla to make a raid again!

As such I expect to have to find a new guild in both TBC and classic vanilla!

As a rogue the TBC guild finding bit will be tricky :smiley:

1 Like

One month later and still no official reply

Will I lose my guild, Blizzard? :neutral_face:

…Aaaaaand Blizzard replied!
" YES, YOU SHALL BE ALL DISMANTLED."

Characters activated on a Classic Era realm are all guild-less, including Guild Masters. On Classic Era realms, all guilds must be recreated

Let’s enjoy being spit on our face!

Thank you Blizzard-Activision, thank you, again you’re handling this just as crappy as expected.

1 Like

They just had to push some bull onto classic before tbc. They just had to.

What’s the big deal with having to recreate your guild? The 10s price? The 10 required signatures you need to collect again? Or maybe the 10g for the tabard design?
Or are your guildies upset they have to whisper you a word? Maybe the officers are upset they have to /ginv a bunch of times?
This seems like such a minor inconvenience not even worth the 30 seconds to write a complaint about?

1 Like

You really would be defending blizzard even if they would delete all gear moving to classic wouldnt you?

2 Likes

I hate what they did with the chronoboon, and I think blizzard is a shameless company who potentially ruined somebody’s life over some accusations that were proven false. So no. I’ll be against blizzard whenever I can. I just don’t overreact on a lot of things.

My previous post wasn’t to troll btw. I’m genuinely interested to hear why this ‘issue’ is even worth bringing up?

1 Like

Because there are large guilds who honestly shouldnt have to handle this hassel with alts and the ranks in the guild. All the setup for the guild is gone.

3 Likes