Wondering why some reported names still exist

I’m not easily offended, but the other day i ran into a person with a name that made me wonder, so i asked, did no-one ever reported you? Feel free to try was the answer followed by a smiley. Being from the Netherlands I know what his name means, it might not be to obvious to our English speaking players/support people.
The name was [editing our the name, no naming and shaming on these forums please - Zax] in English, add ø and ä instead of an u and a and you slip through the automated check.
So I reported him, explaining the meaning of the name, that was a few months ago, and yet, the character is still playing. I know if you google the name you end up on urban dictionary explaining it is prob nothing to get upset about, but not so long ago people that where referred to with that name where actually paid a few bucks for every Jew they catch and delivered to the Germans. And now I see Blizzard bend over backwards to get the word “Sack” out of a questname because it’s supposed to be offensive, yet this is allowed to exist.

I reported a rude name on these very forums, it must be over a year ago now, and it’s still there, Yet ingame you get a few reports and you’re logged out automatically and you’re forced into a name change, even if it’s not against the rules.

I don’t think they care that much anymore, like swearing ingame, which as far as I can see is just ignored when reported. I’ve stopped reporting them, it would be easier to make a chat scanner for swear words than log someone out for having a reported name.

I believe this is purely down to the US side of the company. They talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. Too busy in hotels rooms perhaps.

2 Likes

Hey Tectonic!

You’ll notice I’ve edited out the name you reported. We do not want to turn our forums into a public witch-hunt opportunity so as a general rule we do not allow any form of “naming and shaming” for any character names, regardless of context.

If you notice or see a bad name in our games, be it a character name, a pet name, a guild name or an arena team name, then you have the option to report that to us for review using the “Report Player” feature. This way it will be sent to our Support Team who can verify the report and take action as described here.

Since you claim no action was taken, it sounds likely your report didn’t make it through. It’s not uncommon for some addons to interfere with general interface functionality, for example. Alternatively, the player may not have taken the hint and renamed to something very similar after we already actioned it, and hasn’t been reported again. I’d recommend you report the character again if you happen across it, or any other violation of our Code of Conduct if you see these, using the Report Player feature I mentioned.

Thanks for your vigilance!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, the reason why I mentioned it here is that i had the person bookmarked on https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/tarren-mill/#######, so i know no action was taken, nor was his name changed slightly, up until now… since you replied here, his character is gone.
One extra point of interest, you mention the Report Player function but you can not report a player if you don’t have a name to click on, so you can only report someone if you have his name in chat or see him, reporting him afterwards seems impossible, so I have no idea how you suggest I do that.

1 Like