WoW BFA causes bluescreen

Hi, for a week now i’ve been having issues with BFA causing BSOD at launch.
All of my drivers are up to date, nvidia & windows. I’ve formatted my PC and re-installed another copy of windows 7 I had lying around, still the same issue (had win10 before).
Any ideas, please help.
(Doesn’t happen in Classic)

Can you plz write down the BSOD error code and post it here?
Is it always the same error?

The BSOD error code would be helpful to narrow down the issue but do keep in mind that BSOD’s usually indicate a Windows operating system or a hardware failure, sadly not something we here at Blizzard can provide much support for.

Therefore if you haven’t already, I would reach out to the Microsoft support forums for further help on this issue. Fingers crossed it’s something easy to fix so you can get back to the world of Azeroth soon! :slight_smile: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

been having the same issue now. I launch the game, i play it for a bit, a few hours later i crash and can no longer enter the game because of blue screen crashes.

is there a way to get a refund on the subscription?
i bought 6 months of play time and my game won’t start now, judging by the explanation above, this won’t be fixed so at least i would like my sub money back…

Bluescreen are caused by driver or hardware issues, the Software is just triggering it.
Check all of your drivers and temperatures also. Google the BSOD error code for possible fixes.

weird how it only happens for WoW, and other games with much higher requirements work without a problem

WoW is a really good “Benchmark” for gaming stability, believe me.
If WoW runs stable, other games will too :smiley:

Anyways, WoW is really picky when it comes to RAM OC.
Try running your RAM at default speeds (no XMP loaded, e.g. 2133 if DDR4) and see if it still crashes.

no idea how to do that, i mean, i’m just a player. I shouldn’t be required to have a computer engineering degree to be able to play WoW, hopefully, i might be wrong tho

1 Like

Well, it is your computer and you have to make sure it runs 100% stable :smiley:

Can you check what type of RAM u got and at what speed it runs?
While you’re at it, please post your CPU / GPU and mainboard.

can’t find the ram type, in dxdiag it only says that it’s 16gb, not the type. CPU is intel i5-4570. GPU is GeForce GTX 1650, mainboard i can’t find any info of

You can download the tool CPU-Z and check the ram and mobo there.

1 Like

DDR3, DRAM frequency 665.1MHz, Mainboard model Sharkbay 0B98401 WIN

Ok 1333Mhz DDR3, so it is not OC, that was the slowest DDR3 available back then.
That board sounds like an oem prebuilt PC right?
So what i assume is that your system could be overheating.
When was the last time you cleaned the PC from the inside?
Please download the tool HWMonitor and check the max temperatues of your CPU and GPU under load.
Also try reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver (check the perform clean install box!).

yeh it was a prebuilt pc but i added the GPU myself.
I last opened it like 40 days ago, it was pretty clean inside, did some vacuuming anyway tho.
i updated the nvidia driver 2 days ago

ok looking at the temperatures, there’s a bunch of numbers, for the CPU the core max temperatures are 36C(96F) 34C(93F) and 2x 35C(95F)
the GPU is at 30C (86F) on all 3 states (value min and max)

i just reinstalled the display driver just to make sure. It still crashes with bluescreen…it’s so weird that it only happens with wow

Those numbers cannot be right.
Even for idle they are on the low side.
But you need to get the temps under load.
Do you have any demanding game that stresses both CPU and GPU?
If so, let HWMonitor run in the background, play for a while until the temps do not go up anymore and post them here.
Or simply download a stresstest benchmark tool.
Is your windows upto date?
Are you running WoW in DX12? If so try 11 or the other way around.

How can i change the DX that it runs on from outside the game?

Try this:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/cant-switch-to-direct-x-11/119033

2 Likes