WoW Classic Era Realm Connections Coming May 19

Yes, connections are not merges, and the characters will not be on the same realm. That’s well understood.
But wouldn’t the characters be on the same ‘connected realm’, which is made up of the individual realms used to build the connection? Therefore, I’d have an alliance and horde character on a ‘connected PvP realm’?

Almost, you would have Alliance and horde on connected realms not a single realm. If they appeared on the same character page ingame then that would cause a problem but connected realms appear as separate lines on the realm select screen, it might not seem important but it is.

1 Like

May 19th you say? Does this pretty much confirm that EU players will have one day less of pre-patch compared to the US?

I suppose pre-patch will go live for us on May 19th at around 06:00-08:00 AM after the weekly maintenance has completed?

I didn’t expect it to be any different. I just find it confusing how all the marketing is saying pre-patch on May 18th without mentioning anything about EU at all.

I thought it was about half a day?

oh man, can you please have Zandalar Tribe connected to other PvP realms? It will be dead :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I hope that’s not the case, I don’t want to see a load of R10-13 players competing for BR1 on prepatch day.

Why do Blizzard never inform PVPers on what’s going on in their game, I pay a sub to play this crap.

Please merge the realms instead. Classic Era will have much less of a server community with several servers coexisting, and some people running around with the same name. Community is the most important thing in Classic!

2 Likes

Oh btw I ran into this classic era coordination discord.

h7nze9RB

Might be useful.

Anyone run into other classic era disc’s?

1 Like

So do we share the world with other realms too now?

No chance of having less than 300 ppl per zone farming stuff yet?

Thanks a lot!

Please check German- French- Spanish- Servers! That would be awesome :slight_smile:

So it’s virtually cross-realm in Classic with realm name next to character name. I’ve always hated how realm names show in character names on modern WoW. Just do a full merge.

3 Likes

Please note that you missed two realms on the German list, PVE-Razorfen and RP-PVE-Celebras: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/de/wow/t/verknüpfungen-der-classic-era-realms-am-19-mai/147206. We would appreciate an update…

After checking and informing about what this means I can openly say it SUCKS!

So once again you manage to have tons of ppl farming the same stuff and forcing ppl to lock themselves into solo DME runs and whatnot because outside resources won’t be available. You really couldn’t leave us enjoying a server populated as the game was intended for, couldn’t you?

3 Likes

Actually, connections are merges but keeping the character selection pages separated based on the original realm. But for all purposes once you log into a character all characters from the connected realm exists on a single realm, there is no part of the game where the original realms exist, no zones, no AH, no guilds, no friends list, no mail restriction, etc.

In fact, it can be proven that when two realms are connected the character data of one of the two realms is migrated from the database of the other realm. This can be checked with characters` GUID, the unique key used in Blizzard’s database to identify the character. That key has encoded the information of the realm the character is from, used so the game could have cross-realm features even if those are not available on Classic.

The characters from one of the realms will have their GUID changed after the connection, it happened to me in retail, my characters were in the C’thun realm that last year was connected with the Dun Modr realm, before the connection my character in C’thun has a realm ID different than Dun Modr realm ID, after the connection all C’thun characters were changed to use Dun Modr realm ID (which also was a problem with addons because many addons save their configuration data based on character’s GUID) which prooves that my C’thun characters were transferred to Dun Modr and C’thun no longer exits except on character selection screen were the game it is actually just showing my characters in Dun Modr realm wich original realm is C’thun.

Updoot this one! Hell with the names, merge for longevity, consistency and authenticity!

1 Like

Actually the realms are separate, it’s the servers that aren’t. The servers hold the realms. A realm is software like Firemaw but a server is a bit of hardware.

The software in this case is the connected realm, the realm itself no longer exists, the original realm is only an entry in the character selection screen, if the selecction screen is an entry door a connected realm would be one realm with multiple entry doors.

The realm could be identified as both the software and the database.

For the database, there is only one for the connected realm because the realm GUID in characters is unique for the connected realm. Character GUID in connected realms are changed just like characters who have been transferred from one realm to another. This is what happened when my realm C’thun was merged with Dun Modr, the realm ID from C’thun disappeared from Blizzard’s API after the connection, after the connection all my C’thun character’s data and all Dun Modr were identified by Blizzard’s API with Dun Modr realm ID only.

And the software that is running there is only one for the whole connected realm because in-game everything is merged. Every zone, dungeon, every chat channel, guilds, friend list, mails, and the AH is shared among all connected realms, there is no piece of software running that separates players based on their original realm.

You do know the characters are held on a central database for all the realms? And not on individual realms.

It doesn’t matter where the character are physically stored. It does not change the fact that Blizzard’s server identify the data from one realm as all the data with that realm ID. After the connection one of the realm become the host of the connected realm and keep its ID while all other realm has their data moved to that realm ID and the old realm ID dissapear, from that point from Blizzard’s server point of view the connected realm is just one single realm and the individual realms no longer exits. It does not matter if that move between realms is phyisical between two separate databases or logical by updating some data from one table.

1 Like

Move to RP server. (So long as you don’t interfere with others RP, no one cares if you don’t do it.)

1 Like