WoW Classic locked to 60 FPS when using Elgato HD 60 Pro

Hey everyone,

I encountered a really weird issue when WoW Classic came out and I wasn’t able to fix it yet - so I thought it might be a good idea to ask you.

The problem:

When I connect my gaming pc with the capture card in my second computer my FPS in-game get locked at 60 fps. This is an issue because I am using a 240 Hz monitor and 60 fps just does not feel very smooth. Funny enough, this issue is resolved when I disconnect the HDMI cable that is connecting my gaming pc’s GPU with the capture card in the second computer. So you could easily assume it has to do with some limitations with my capture card, but it has to be something else. Why do I come to this conclusion? Well, I also tried WoW: BfA and this issue is gone when I use DirectX11 instead of DirectX12. This is weird, especially because WoW: Classic uses DirectX11 if I am not mistaken. Also no other game does have a problem like this.

I also followed a setup guide (medium(dot)com/@LtRoyalShrimp_31451/how-to-use-a-144hz-monitor-with-an-elgato-gaming-capture-card-method-1-f432da4a1e8d) for my capture card and 120/144/240 Hz monitors provided by Elgato. So usually this is not an issue for me. Just in WoW Classic or WoW: BfA with DX12.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could try? I am btw running Win10 1903 with no issues so far when it comes to streaming. My streaming computer is still on Win10 1809 though.

Hi, Rakshah! o/

I’ll admit straight away that I’m no expert when it comes to setting up these kinds of rigs.

That being said, the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about FPS locks (other than the option for that specific purpose, of course) is the option for Vertical Sync. In the System menu, in the game, you’ll see the option in the Graphics section. Enabling it can cause the FPS to lock at the refresh frequency of the output device (usually your screen, but in this case you are also outputting to the capture card).

Thanks for your reply. I can ensure you that there is no FPS lock or v-sync/g-sync enabled. This is a really weird issue that multiple people on the internet seem to have and no one has been able to resolve it so far (as far as I know). The only option that seems to work is not to clone the main monitor to the capture card but to use the capture card to extend your dekstop with the capture card. Afterwards you can run another OBS instance (this time on your gaming computer) and create a full screen preview on the capture card which you can capture on the streaming computer. This is a weird workaround I would like to avoid.

Hi again, Rakshan! o/

I’m sorry to hear that the only solution you found is so convoluted :frowning:

Unfortunately, I can’t really help you here. The developers set up WoW (and most of our games) to work fine up to 60 FPS, and anything above that is unsupported. It can (and should) work, but we can’t really assist as there are too many variables, and the game was not made nor set up with these frequencies in mind.

Of course, this may change in the future (we didn’t support 60FPS not that long ago), but at this time, I can only hope that some other player has figured out an easier way to resolve this and can help you.

I am sorry?!
The game is working fine with 240 Hz - I am currently using it. But it forces 60 FPS once I connect the capture card and the cloned display is used. No other game seems to have a problem with that. I guess all I would need is an exclusive full screen mode to avoid that, but for some reason you got rid off it which is really unfortunate :frowning:

I am also quite sure if I would now install a new capture card that can record 1080p240 the issue would be gone. But since I do not plan to record or stream 4K footage it is quite pointless to spend 250 Euro for the new Elgato 4K60 MK2, right? :smiley:
There has to be some sort of solution, especially because it is also working with retail WoW when using DX11

Did you find a fix for this? I’ve been having the same issue for years since I started streaming, first I bought a regular Elgato HD60, then I upgraded to the 4K60Pro, since my system is running on a 2 x 2560x1440 resolution with G-sync 165hz, duplicating the main to the Elgato on my dedicated streamer, problem persists no matter what…

If the 4k60pro had DP connections, instead of hdmi, I would have no issues I believe. But what is the fuzz about the new 4K60 MK2?

Hello,

I had the same issue, and i tried to fix it with : Turn on Compatibility Windows 7 on WowClassic.exe

It work right now @144FPS and my stream still works great.

Hope it will help.

3 Likes

This solution worked for me. Thanks