WoW Classic TBC MacOS freezes on launch

Hello,

As of 19th Jan 2022, I’ve the exact issue as described by multiple people on this thread:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/tbc-classic-253-client-system-crash/1169998/30

Since I can’t post on US forum (no level 10 char), I’ll create a similar thread here.

Upon launch, WoW app freezes the entire system. It has not happened with the previous game version.

The specs are:
Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1615)
2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
GPU1 AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
GPU2 Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Happens both when launching from battle.net and directly from the executable (.app).
Reinstalling the game didn’t solve the issue.

Hi there,
Unfortunately the same issue here. Bit different spec - but also Mac. Thing I noticed is that the patch file is not completely downloaded, it stops downloading the update like 30-40 MB before end and shows as updated.

After launching sometimes it allows to type in password sometimes not. Either it crash Mac (have to completely restart the computer) right away or after typing password while connecting.

Mac details:
macOS Catalina
Version: 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

EDIT: After search on posted topic by Dunkel I have pinpointed problem and was able to launch the game but somewhat unplayable.

The problem is either with our MAC graphic card:
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M

To resolve it you have to edit Config.wtf file that is located in your /World Of Warcraft / classic / WTF folder.

If you can’t just click and edit rename it to txt (confirm changing the extension) Just change line:

SET gxAdapter “AMD Radeon Pro 5500M” (or similar 5300 or 5600)
and type below:
SET gxAdapter “Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630”

REMEMBER you can copy paste above but change the symbol of quotations manually as they use different on this forum and in the config file.

If you do not have a line setting your Radeon card just ADD the line in the bottom of config file.

Rename it back to wtf by:
Option click (or right button click) → Get info → Name & Extension: and change back from txt to wtf press return key.

CAUTION: graphic settings are MUCH worse than Radeon - but you will be able to launch the game itself.

EDIT 2 - even after lowering graphics details to minimum frame rate goes down to 19-20 FPS…

Thanks for the workaround Bloodone (I’ve tried to use the gSwitch software for the same purpose, had the same effect as you did fps-wise :slight_smile: so I didn’t mention it).

I’ve been able to run the game on 5500M after upgrading OS to Monterey 12.1 (21C52), so far I don’t regret this decision, so it might work for some people.

A proper fix on part of Blizzard would be nice though.

I wanted to chime in that this is something we’ve been some users experience this issue on the same graphics card. We are looking into this but either of the workarounds you both have mentioned will work in the meanwhile. ^^

Please add me to the list of affected people, but this time on a different GPU.
Everything was working fine until the patch release for phase 3 on January 19th.

From error log:
Error Code: 0x85100086
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Description: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018

Here are my specs:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
CPU: 2,9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GByte HBM2
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

WoW client: TBC 2.5.3.41812

I’m also having this issue on a MacBook Pro 2019 running Catalina with an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M gfx card :confused: