Wow freezes

Hello, fellow community lads.

I have a question regarding my system. When shadowlands game out i had a r7 2700x 16gb ram and a r9 390 vid card. I managed to play on a 1080p 24 inch screen and was playing on settings 7 ingame with dx12.

Frames was managable but mostly i had fps drops with big areas or raids.

I changed my gpu to a 3060ti but everything else stayed the same. So i thought it would result in better fps etc. Lo and behold… its bad and mostly its worse.

I now have to play at ingame settings of 2 and it keeps freezing up for 20 seconds. Picking up quests or what ever creates micro stutters and then freezes. When i am flying over random places i have 60 fps as i have it capped to 60. I have no addons installed. Did a clean install of windows and games and vid drivers/mobo drivers yet no result

What can this be?

• Addons (check without any)
  • Thermals (check CPU/GPU temperatures)
  • SSD end of cache - when it gets not so close to full event the performance can tank
  • GPU driver conflict (remove Nvidia drivers with DDU and install fresh)

I did ddu and i did a fresh install windows 11

Thermals cpu is near 70c
Gpu is near 72c
There are no addons. Fresh install wow
How do i do the cache? My ssd is only 30% full.

30% full then it’s more than fine.

The 2000 Ryzen won’t be “fast” but also should not create such problems. To do a system check run userbenchmark before running the game and then again while the game is running and having problems. Post both result urls here (via preformatted text option)

UserBenchmarks: Game 109%, Desk 82%, Work 108%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 78.1%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 139.3%
SSD: Adata SP900 64GB - 45.2%
SSD: Adata Premier SP550 240GB - 72.9%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2010) - 31%
RAM: Crucial CT4G4DFS8213.C8FAR2 4x4GB - 75.8%
MBD: MSI X470 GAMING PRO (MS-7B79)
MSI X470 GAMING PRO (MS-7B79) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

So i noticed that when i did the test without the game there was a moment where visuals came to be benched and a shooting bench. I could hear a coil wine?
I also noticed my ssd was a bit fuller then the 30% my bad.

Below are the data from the bench while questing. It happend a few times ( micro stutters) Keep in mind i have now enabled all the settings ingame to max 1080p and settings are 10.
UserBenchmarks: Game 28%, Desk 74%, Work 28%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 69.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 32.7%
SSD: Adata SP900 64GB - 43.2%
SSD: Adata Premier SP550 240GB - 74.3%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2010) - 34.4%
RAM: Crucial CT4G4DFS8213.C8FAR2 4x4GB - 65.5%
MBD: MSI X470 GAMING PRO (MS-7B79)
MSI X470 GAMING PRO (MS-7B79) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

• RAM is basic without XMP. CPU performance depends on memory frequency/timings.
  • What do you have on that 64GB Adata SP900 SSD? it has performance problems.
  • Check for background CPU tasks - something app or Windows process is running and eating some of the CPU, potentially conflicting with the game or drivers while the game is running and tanking GPU/CPU performance

I would remove both small SSDs and the HDD and replace them with a 1TB good SSD - NVMe if you motherboard supports it.

So for starters. I tried to update bios today. But i cant get in to my bios. I use Del button and smash it untill i know its in bios. But it never appears on my screen. For some weird reason the RTX 3060ti does not show my bios on both my screens. I only see the windows log in screen. So i cant change the XMP.

On the 64 Adata is my windows installed. Nothing more
https://ibb.co/PDh91d0 this is my apps running in the background

yeha my pc has 2 slots for the nvme

You can’t anyway, this memory kit does not have an XMP profile.

Also if you have 2 screens check the game with only one screen connected, sometimes windows has problems with running a game on one screen.

BIOS can also be available under F2, 12, 11 or alike. You can check the motherboard manual.

Try without both browsers :smiley: They will have a lot of temporary files/opened files etc and if they do that on that 64GB SSD it will cause problems.

It’s close to full and the performance is very low. Any temporary file can have problems with I/O and stutter the system. The smaller the SSD capacity the worse it is so it’s not really worth it to use low capacity SSD as they degrade quite quickly with % usage.

So if i am correct. I should get a new ram with XMP.
a new SSD prefere NVME 1 tb atleast?

The both browsers are on because of writing to you xD
the other one is the logs from the benchmark

And as i said even if i use F2, 12, 11 etc. My graphics card does not show the bios menu. It does not come up at all. I just get a message no input device detected on my screens. I only get visuals when i restart the pc and it normally boots to windows

Start with storage, RAM - when and if you want to. The RAM will improve the system performance but that’s more important for newer CPUs - you can with time upgrade the CPU to a newer generation and then pair it with good RAM kit.

A quick workaround for today could be to remove the 64GB SSD and install Windows on the bigger one. Not sure if WoW would fit safely on it as well but at least it would tell if it’s the small SSD problem.

Wouldnt it be more beneficial if i went new mobo, new cpu with ram? This mobo only supports up to 3700x series amd. thought that would be a waste for future proofing.

This is AMD platform, with latest bios you have support for every current AMD CPU. You don’t have to replace it, especially as it X470 so not that old.

Best performance would be 5800X3D while 5600 the budget option and 5800X somewhere above it.

https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PRO/support#cpu

I didnt knew that they changed that. on the home page it says only supported to 3rd gen. This is interesting tbh. Thank you for the information regarding that.

But now i have the issue of the bios. My pc does not show my bios. This would mean i would have to reinstall the old graphics card to update my bios then swap back to the 3060…

Try with one screen and try connecting it to different connectors on the gpu if possible (One of HDMI/DP etc can work while other could not) or if possible test with other screen as well.

F yeah. that worked! cheers m8. I have updated the bios finally. Seems the oldest was on there from 2018 xD. Thank you for the information. Ill have to check for a new cpu and ram kit. also a new m.2

Cheers and have a great day!

For Ryzen 5000 you can pick a kit from 3600-3800 range and some low CL if possible. But also bit lower on the MT/s but with low CL (14-12 or lower at 3200-3400) will be really good as well. (and you don’t have to upgrade everything right now…)

One other suggestion- instead of 4x4gb ram sticks, go with 2x8gb or even 2x16gb sticks as i believe AMD cpu’s perform better on dual channel ram than quad channel

There is no quad channel configuration on a dual channel system. Having 4 DIMMs usually gives dual channel dual rank configuration assuming the dimms aren’t dual rank already, but for 4GB that’s rather not possible :wink:

And it’s super rare to get 4GB DDR4 DIMMs anyway.

1 Like

Yep, my bad there

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.