WoW on 2k Ultra

Hello there!

After playing WoW on minimal to moderate settings for quite a while I decided it was time for an upgrade, from laptop to PC.

My intentions are to play WoW on ultra settings on a 2k monitor.
The specs I’ve picked out at the moment are as follows

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-9400F BOX
CPU Cooler: INTEL STOCK Cooler
GPU: ASUS GEFORCE RTX 2060 PH 6G
RAM: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 2X8GB 2666MHZ

Monitor
1440p
144 Hz
4 Ms

According to my research this should be a good solution, but I would like to hear your thoughts and possible changes.

I’ve the info I’ve posted is insuffient let me know and I’ll update the list with the needed changes.

Thanks!

1 Like

That is a bit overkill .
Instead go for
Intel 8th generation 8750 core i7
Nvidia 1060 or 1070
Ram 16 GB
256 GB or 512 GB ssd nvme or better
You should up and running the game perfectly . Don’t waste money on rtx based cards .hardly any game supports and wow in future has no plan to support it in future either .

2 Likes

I wouldn’t buy a 1070 right now tbh

What exactly do you mean by rtx based cards? Is there a major difference between rtx and gtx?

If you are going to play games like Anthem and Battlefield 5 then yes rtx will have impact on them but there are only handful games that support rtx .if you are going to play eso,ff14 and wow only then the performance is almost negligible .
You will be spending more money for nothing .

Instead of the RTX 2060, i would buy the GTX 1660ti
I would also buy the i5 8600 over the i5 9400F

Cheers

1 Like

1060 ti * :wink:

If this is foremost a computer for WOW, an I7 7700k is still probably one of the best if not the best processor (fast single core speed + overclockable). The 8700k is also good, but has slightly lower single core clock. Do to the age of WOW’s engine, it relies heavily on single core speed. It’s only recently they tweaked it so it makes any use of multiple cores and even now it’s quite limited. I wouldn’t go for 9th gen intel, they’re overpriced for the performance gain they give. You could also consider Ryzen, which has some very interesting processors from a price/performance point of view, especially now wow is finally starting to make some use of extra cores.

If you have to buy the whole computer and want something that’s still a little portable, do what I did, I bought an Intel Hades Canyon NUC and hung an egpu solution on it. At higher resolutions, the loss from using an egpu goes down to roughly 5%, over nearly 20% at 1080p. My 2k monitor was purring quite nicely at close to max settings on my Vega 64 and now I’ve swapped it out with a 1080Ti, I’ve got a 4k monitor purring at max settings, be it only a 60 Hz monitor. Nice thing about the Hades Canyon NUC’s is that they have a dedicated Radeon graphics chip on board if you just want to grab the unit and hang it on a screen elsewhere. It’s chip isn’t the strongest, but should still run wow at 1080p on pretty high settings and is a lot better than Intel’s integrated graphics.

As for the GPU, for less than the price of the RTX 2060, you’ll pick up a perfectly good used GTX 1080 on Ebay, which will outperform the 2060 by roughly 13% or a Vega 64, which will, at stock factory settings, outperform it by somewhere in the region of 21% (I’ve actually seen Vega 64 cards go for just over GBP 200). Most cards come with a 3 year factory warrantee, so you should still be covered for a while on a second hand card. My used 1080Ti was GBP 460 if you can stretch a bit, but the only card that beats it is the very overpriced 2080Ti.

In my opinion RTX cards are just a gimmick for this generation. Both Nvidia and AMD have already said they’ll be implementing it in a different, cheaper way in the next generation of cards. Also there are yet very few games that support it.

Final addition, if building yourself, spend that extra GBP 20 - 40 on a good CPU cooler and thermal paste, makes a huge difference to thermals.

Ram seems on the slow side for a pc, but as you haven’t specified the motherboard, I can’t judge that in detail.

I wouldnt worry to much about RTX at the minuet unless you are buying a 2080/2080ti it’s not worth it the performance sucks in the games that use it unless you have the high end cards.

Ignore the people telling you to go for a GTX 1060/1070 as well whats your overall budget btw?

Guessing you are planing on keeping this PC for a few years?

If I was building a new PC now and planning on keeping it for 4/5 years this is what I would be looking at.

R5 2600x if you aren’t planing on overclocking the CPU
R5 2600 if you are…
Why Ryzen it’s the same price as the i5 940f but is 6core 12 threads will give you a bit more head room over the next few years as games become more multi threaded and in a couple of years time if you need more power just a quick BIOS update and you can drop in a Ryzen 3000 or possibly even a 4000 series if they keep to the same platform.

• the Ryzen stock coolers are pretty decent as far as stock coolers go not amazing but they will do a pretty decent job but the Intel coolers on the other hand are really bad if you go with the Intel CPU get a decent aftermarket cooler the stock one is just…

mid range b450/x470 motherboard

16gb 3200mhz RAM

GPU I would probably go with the RTX 2060 not Asus though I love there motherboards but they make really rubbish GPU coolers… if the Vega 56 still had the games bundle I would have said go for that but it looks like they have ended the deal :frowning: performance wise there’s not much in it some games the 2060 is faster others the Vega 56 faster but overall if I was buying now I would probably go with the 2060.

If you wanted to save a few quid I would go with the rx580/590 over a gtx1060.

Power supply 550/650w always worth spending a bit more.

Monitor do as much research as you can 90% of what you see on an advertisement for a monitor is just marketing bull**** 4ms response times ultra low input lag zero ghosting… ect don’t believe any of it I think most monitor manufacturers should be sued for false advertising… If you can afford it go for an IPS monitor if not then VA… But look up as many reviews as you can find on any monitor you are looking to buy especially look for ones that have input lag and response time tests as well as colour ghosting and gamma accuracy tests Nvidia supports Freesync now as well so you don’t need to spend extra for the Gsync version any more.

1660ti not 1060ti

I cant post links, so you have to google it.

1 Like

Aahhh .okay its a new gtx card .yep much better choice then a rtx 2060 card

If you can step over the ‘used’ psychological barrier, the high end GPUs from the previous generation are still as good, in most cases even slightly better, than current gen mid-high segment cards and can be bought significantly cheaper.

I.e. 1080ti (region of 450 - 470 Pounds on EBay) still marginally outperforms a RTX 2070 (cheapest cards retail at 600 Pounds).

Vega 55/64 cards are dirt cheap on Ebay relatively speaking, but especially the 64 gives a lot of bang for the buck and overclocking is a question of moving a few sliders in the driver software.

There’s a reason Nvidia tried to pull the 10Xx series off the market, as they knew they were competing with their own 20XX cards. Alas for Nvidia their partners still had large stocks of the parts to make 10 XX cards and foiled their plans.

1 Like

You are very much right in your assessment and it holds true especially for wow .

If the OP wants to buy new, I wouldn’t recommend 7700k. The supply in the stores is quite low due to its age, but the price hasn’t really changed, unless you are in luck and find good sales. For example in my country 8700k is cheaper. A lot of the 7700k processors were also plagued by thermal issues due to uneven application of the TIM under the heatspreader, which was unfixable without voiding the warranty (looks at her own 7700k hitting 90 degrees while undervolted and cooled by a massive cooler). The issue was much less common in Coffee lake (8 series), even if the chips ran hot. The newest ones are soldered, so the issue doesn’t concern them at all.

If buying used, I assume there are quite a few folks who switched to 9900k and are selling off their 6700k/7700k on ebay and similar portals. Might be worth snagging one from them, after making sure their chip wasn’t responsible for causing global warming and such (I know, always hit and miss with sellers, maybe best bet is to find a person selling locally and ask them to show how the chip performs).

Might be worth mentioning that the new Ryzens are most likely releasing around June. Looking at the engineering sample shown at CES earlier this year their single core performance would be on par with Intel’s offerings. If OP is not in a hurry to build the pc, the market is likely to get stirred then: new CPUs to choose from, old ones likely getting price drops and who knows, maybe even Intel fixes their supply shortages so the prices get better? (wishful thinking, I know)

Not only speed is important, latency as well. Something with CL19 will not perform better than 2666 with super tight timings. Generally would aim at something around 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 as the options that don’t eat budget too badly. Quality binned ram is unfortunately still very expensive.

There have also been some quite good deals for new Vega 56/64 cards lately, although mostly in Germany, France and Netherlands. Generally the 56 seems to perform slightly better than 1660ti in most of the titles, so if the power consumption isn’t an issue, it is a very valid option to consider. Of course, ultimately depends on what deal one can snipe.

To sum up topic and add more of my own thoughts (focusing around the budget based on OP’s original part list): 9400f offers very good value for its price, but I definitely wouldn’t use Intel’s stock cooler, they are really poor quality. For about 25 euro you can get a cooler that would run around the Intel stock one in circles.
If you are looking for a CPU that offers similar performance and has a viable stock cooler, there is Ryzen 5 2600X (or if you are familiar with overclocking, slightly cheaper 2600). Slightly lower single core performance, but has more threads, which could come handy later on.

Ram is important, regardless of which CPU you pick. Don’t overdo it, but there are plenty of reasonable options that are just only a bit more expensive than the basic, slowest memory.

Regarding power supplies, make sure it has an efficiency certificate of at least bronze. Generally any PSU of quality would have it (or better). You don’t want to buy some chinese crap that would put your whole computer on fire (and that’s not that uncommon at all that people cheap out on PSUs and regret it later on). Seasonic is a really good brand that I can recommend, it is also found in a lot of PSUs sold under a different brand (for example some Corsair ones).

As for graphic cards, the “RTX” part of a 2060 is not very useful. The card is not strong enough to do the raytracing well (that’s what the “rtx” is for), even 2080/ti struggle with that. Leaving that card out, it is only marginally faster than 1660ti while being significantly more expensive. I’d recommend looking at the deals for a 1660ti or a Vega 56. There’s no need to get a faster card than those options if the only game you play is World of Warcraft, unless you are going to play at 4k (for 1440p they are more than enough, as well as other games at that resolution).

As for monitors, I would recommend getting one with Freesync - even Nvidia cards can use it now. WoW has a lot of frame drops due to optimisation issues and tearing can be quite noticable. Freesync makes the monitor scale down its refresh rate to the fps that you are getting at the moment. GSync is a Nvidia’s exclusive version of the adaptative sync, works only with Nvidia cards and is generally more expensive (ofc if you have a Nvidia card and get a good deal on the monitor, it is a good option to consider as this certificate is more strict than the first revision of Freesync).

I have not seen freesync being used by Nvidia cards .do you have source to support it ?

They do support Freesync since January this year. Multiple articles in internet about that, but guess one of more reputable names would be this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/01/07/ces-2019-nvidias-surprise-freesync-announcement-is-more-than-meets-the-eye/
Basically there were some people buying AMD cards to get variable refresh rate with cheaper monitors and Nvidia decided to make a move to end that. The “G-sync compatible” monitors will work out of the box with Nvidia cards, but the Freesync can still work without Nvidia’s stamp of approval (quality depending on the monitor’s quality in general, some of cheap Freesync monitors are pretty bad and can suffer from flickering, but some are actually pretty good), as long as you manually enable that in the CP.

Been able to for a few months now for the 1000 and 2000 series cards any way no support for 900 series or older cards everyone else has gone freesync AMD both consoles most of the TV manufacturers Intel have said they will be supporting freesync when there first desktop GPU’s come out next year so it’s become the accepted industry standard so I think NVidia have been pretty much forced in to it which is pretty good for everyone means when you are buying a monitor now if you have an NVidia GPU you don’t need to spend the extra £100-200 for the Gsync version if you want adaptive sync :smiley:

Oh goodie .that’s good news .thank you for the link :hugs:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.