WoW story becoming increasingly ridiculous

But you’re only saying that because you like Vol’jin and want him in the spotlight. Like I said, people are too obsessed about wanting the story to go in a direction that pleases them and makes them happy. But always going in the direction that makes everyone pleased and happy doesn’t result in a compelling or interesting story.

You do understand that literally no one is happy? I don’t know a single person here that LIKES this, regardless of faction or affiliation.

4 Likes

Now to that i can agree 100% as long as you can agree that i have the right to see jaina as useless and annoying.
At the same time i LOVE sylvanas, you can have your own opinion and i will not try to change it neither triggers me.

Fair trade right? xD

No, it’s far more than that. I wouldn’t have that big issue if he had at least ready and established replacement or if his death made sense.

It was shoddily crafted, and afterwards we get even worse story. I elaborated on it back in 2016, point by point. And Vol’Jin questline is indeed backtracking on the points that I made:
(https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613181454?page=1)

Legion issue no1: Loa granted “vision” and so Sylvanas - of all people- has to lead.
BfA: Oh, no it was not spirits, it was some other dark death entity behind it.

Legion issue no 2: Why Loa abandoned him?! He was their champion!
BfA: That dark entity severed his ties with Loa and clouded his vision. “Nothing was right that day”

Legion issue no 3: Why nobody communicated with his spirit afterwards to at least set up replacement?
BfA: His spirit got lost, not even Bwonsamdi was able to find him. And to this day Darkspears still don’t have a racial leader.

They’re backtracking because at the start of Legion they had no clue what they were doing and thrown whatever reason just to get rid of him. This is where you go with “rule of cool” too far.

There was no compensation given for that loss. For entire expansion not only players were not updated about DS status but openly mocked. “Vol’Jin is dead what update do you need?” or Mophead posting mocking picture of him - ‘lol what a twerp, dying like that’. And who’s fault was it?!

I saw lots of nice and compelling stories crafted by fans, I created some myself. And none of them were MoP repeat, that alone makes the story better.

Some people actually attempted to make factions morally grey and give alliance finally initiative. This is just terrible and I fail how can you say that it turned out well. How do you want to make a compelling story if You make out of Hordy crazy over the top villains and Alliance to be stupid good? AGAIN?

It’s not about pleasing me, nor putting atop my favies. It’s about writing a compelling beliveable and engaging story. And you can’t achieve that with current setup.

8 Likes

It was too cringy and sleazy imo. They should gave her a small cinematic but no…

1 Like

I’ve never seen someone actually enjoying people being brought back to life (resurrection and not undeath). It forces the idea that everything is possible with the power of plot, and that eliminates the notion of continuity. Literally everything can happen then. Not to mention that it’s a very weak move. When Illidan was brought back, it was so obvious it was done because he looked cool and edgy. When Sylvanas was brought back from the death multiple times, it was done because Blizzard didn’t actually want to lose her, but wanted to kill her for the feeling of suspense anyway.

Oh, it’s certainly not about catering to the fanbase. But when Vol’jin got killed off and Sylvanas chosen as Warchief, it felt just so pointless. Vol’jin was made Warchief because he was the right choice. There were countless of reasons - because the Horde needed a more tribal and peaceful Warchief, because the Horde needed to go back to its roots. But when Sylvanas was chosen to be the next Warchief, it felt like Blizzard just made her Warchief because of her body and fanbase. The only reason we got was something vague about the spirits.

6 Likes

Do you know what I think part of the problem is:

The equality and diversity side to this. They wanted a young male with no personality and a super cool female who’s loved by the playerbase. Now, this is equality done wrong.

Neither Anduin nor Sylvanas were ready for those roles, because their is an agenda slapped onto those characters. A pitiful, yet stupid political message. Christie Golden pretty much summed up Anduin, last year with a tweet and it was all that “toxic masculinity” lark and why characters like Anduin are “so important.”

This isn’t what we need and I knew from the moment Legion said “go” that this would be a total disaster, with regards to Horde and Alliance leadership. The overall story of Legion, especially the Suramar stuff was really good, then it started slipping as 7.3 entered the scene, but that’s by-the-by - the point is, I can detect a stupid political message from a mile wide and this was glaringly obvious.

So much of this nonsense has happened to things like Star Wars and this isn’t what makes a good story at all. The above suffered drastic losses last year and Blizzard; it’s been happening again.

3 Likes

Yeah and “first female Warchief!” while nobody cared about it. They cared if she deserved it in the first place based on her previous antics.

I wouldn’t mind for Anduin to be interim face for Alliance during Legion, but they should’ve change the pace right afterwards. And I think Araphan’s proposition to include nobles that would bring the issue of his constant advocary over Horde would be legitimate reason and would finally stirr some tensions within Alliance. Genn could be made to be Supreme Commander, but write specifically that Nelves will do stuff their way on Kalimdor but will cooperate with Alliance, and so Jarod would appear launching assaults on Silithus to prevent Horde from taking control over Azerite, and that would force Vol’Jin to act. Because while he wanted to avoid needless bloodshed he would fight back if his people were attacked.

Genn using opportiunity and attacking Lordaeron, which could lead to Sylvanas final death but at the same time New forsaken could emerge to tie things up. Actual Forsaken, and not elf or human lookalike. This way at Least Sylvanas would die as someone defending her forsaken giving her some redeeming quality.

There are so many ways they could go, but they just picked the worst option possible.

I liked most of leveling Zones, but I agree that overall Legion should span through entire Azeroth and everyone, even former enemies should’ve joined to defend the world. This event was waaaay to “compact” for my taste.

I don’t acknolwedge this new “trilogy” it’s a mockery of older episodes. Episodes 1-3 had a lot of flaws but at least they tried to expand universe, and they had Evan McGreggor for Obi-Wan.

2 Likes

And you see that - that’s the core problem.

“Yay first female Warchief!”
With no explanation, nothing built up. So why, oh why, was this character made Warchief…? Oh, because she has an Elf body and has a following, who are mostly elf and forsaken fans, who were never core-Horde races anyway.
I mean, did you see the ship, after Lordaeron is destroyed? Why were we having to bare witness to the majority of the Horde leaders, being a bunch of undead and elves? Simply, they are NOT the true faces of the Horde.
They are apart of the Horde and have worked with the Horde. The Blood Elves provided ample aid for Garrosh’s assault on Theramore and it was them who created the manabomb, but they are not the truest of races, that I believe, should be representing the front face of the Horde.

At the stage of Legion, their was just no time to try and involve every zone.

This was very similar to WoTLK. The expansions’ pre event involved the world, but afterwards, it moved to one central landmass.
I think, the core point of Legion was to tell an improved, yet historical Highborne and Eredar story, which - when we don’t consider the factions, was done, relatively well.

I accept the prequels, despite the questionable writing and some of the acting.
When I re-watch them, especially Padme and Anakin, I can see the Luke (in the former) and the Leia (in the latter) and it draws some nice parallels.
They also provide us with an insight in some regards, as to how Leia grew up and what she was involved with.

Overall though, I’m glad the movies are going on temporary hiatus now. They need to expand other things and leave the “new story” as a stand-alone thing.

2 Likes

For me all begin with Cataclysm. And “good” shattering stuff. They wipe all the old and god story to put fresh re-new. I remember Blizzard state it’s proud for this refresh of the game, but who want it by this time?

Blizzard wipe classic and now will be reborn in full glory, because was mistake…

For BFA for me story fail at time, when we horde, are in inner warr, because conflict didn’t escalate more.

That reminds me of old times. Back after TBC got released, you had all these orcs flooding general chat with “not true Horde” bs. Actually it’s the first time I hear the same about the Forsaken.

The beauty of the Horde is that it’s not the “true” Horde, that it changed and evolved over time. The orc-ification of the other races didn’t land for the Horde and not for a lack of trying. The races that were added to the Horde have their own specific theme that managed to surface as opposed to becoming “the guys standing next to orcs”. The same cannot be said for the Alliance who are, even now, the Humans and their buddies.

The true Horde is something you’ve experienced in the RTS games and what you killed in Draenor.

1 Like

But we didn’t need to kill off the current Warchief.

That’s the core problem here. Not “True Horde” or any of that lark.
It’s the fact that the story hasn’t progressed in a meaningful way, other than a MoP 2.0, but this time we’ve got Horde Night Elves, Big antlered Tauren, Brown Orcs and other Trolls.

1 Like

The problem is that it seems that the majority of the Horde isn’t happy with Sylvanas. You see that the Forsaken support her, which are already twisted by dark magic.

But this is where we’re entering ridiculous stories now.

A handful of Sunreavers have joined Sylvanas - but this makes sense, even to the extent of them being in favor of Darnassus being burned (The Kaldorei got themselves involved with the Divine Bell stuff.)
However, if we go back to Legion, we see that it doesn’t make sense because the neutral Sunreavers return to Dalaran’s aid and work with Aethas Sunreaver and the Kirin Tor again.

Forsaken and (some) Blood Elves seem to be siding with Sylvanas, as would be expected.

Oh yeah, let other civilians pay for this. It makes really sense if you’re kinda sick in mind.

Yeah “some”. We only saw a Mage and Lorash.

Well, we can’t rule out those innocent citizens who were killed or imprisoned, during Dalaran’s Purge.

From the way LTT talks, Sylvanas is still considered a hero amongst the Blood Elves. It’s to be expected.

And what have the civilians of Darnassus have to do with it?! Should it be some kind of vengeance or what? If they want vengance they should go for the silver covenant or Jaina.

She was the hero. He still respect her for her sacrifice but also side against her in the next patch.

No we didn’t. We actually didn’t “need” to kill off any warchief.

But they killed Garrosh cause he went evil. Fine. Moving on. We get Vol’jin. He gets killed off to make room for the new warchief, Sylvanas. Now we have her doing the same as Garrosh. So we are right back where we started preparing to run another lap of this vicious circle.

That being said, there can be no real progress when you are dealing with repetition. And so far, the BFA story is shaping up to be a repetition of MoP.

I hated Vol’jin, I thought he was stupid and worse, he went sniveling to the Alliance, but I tolerated him. Whatever Warchief gets chosen someone will have an issue. So because some don’t like Sylvanas, majority or minority, we are gonna do another MoP?

1 Like

I don’t talk about the player. I talk about what was shown ingame.

But that’s him and not the people.

We’ve got to remember that he does hope that he can get Silvermoon to rebel. It doesn’t sound like it will be an easy task, as far as the general populace goes.

Rommath won’t need telling twice. He hated Sylvanas during LTT’s short story.

Could be…we really don’t know. We don’t know how the Purge truly affected the minds of the survivors who joined the Horde.

Well that is who they are targeting now, but poor timing. I was just speculating with regards to Darnassus.