Ww monk tips

so been starting now to really play monk, and did some arenas.

but if anyone had some ingights would be great regarding:

in 2s i tend to play with a healer and i found a lot of paladins to queue with , so been playign with that. is it the bad? no idea about whats good with a monk, idc much if im not playing the best of the best comp, but just not the worst. im starting to get close to 1K6 now.

but in 3s that i started few days ago (just got to 1K4) idk, i prefer to play with mages overall. i heared the comp was rather popular for monks and i can understand why. again, paladins are usually around.

what i dont understand however is why ppl keep focusing me and esp its consequences and what i could do to make them pay. i have no problem with that per se, i used to play solely warlock. even if im tunneled i can still play the game, which is very different than what i used to, so idm. i try to use mobility cds to kite and save a lot of defensives. im sure i could improve but my problem is: why while my mage is free casting whole game is nothing really diing?

my games are long and at the end of the game i usually do twice the mage damage. what can i do as monk to set the mage up?

in 2s i tend to paralyze to intiate or complement a cc chain from my healer on the ennemy healer before fist/sunkick when i have cds up for some dangerous burst. but in 3s its so hectic to me, i sometimes loose myself with all the mobilities and various tools the class and i feel even though i do tons of damage and get pressure going on, the fact nothing dies tells me i could maybe help my mage?

i play with pugs, so i cant really work it out on long term. i have added some ppl but were rarely connected at same time. so its hard to find it out by myself.

what is a monk supposed to do to get the pressure of his mates going?
i usually tend to go for targets with lowest armor and casters to disturb the playstyle, excption being rogue else they’re resetting over and over. should i go on the healer and let mage sheep one dps and nuke the other with combust for some spread pressure?

also on loot district i see lot play with alpha tiger. but i prefer disarm overall to help my healers, but sometilmes vs certain comps made of plate i really want to go for tiger brew and disarm like vs warrior. should i keep fist or expel? i’d rather keep expel, it feels always like a good healing.

for legendaries i use xuen, and for talent dragon punch if i know i can have the time but for example vs kiting comp like a feral or mage i prefer to go for cd red because dragon punch forces u to “stand still” and then sometimes i m having issues reconnecting. did anybody give serenity a try? with all the cc i get whenever i try to burst i rather not have everything into one burst cd.

any tips appreciated

note: not a monk player, but maybe i can provide something useful anyway.

fire mage sustained damage is really bad. mage freecasting is still useful in the sense that it’s easier to land sheeps and you get combust back faster though.

you could cover for your mage with incaps and sweep to help him land sheeps. i think that’ll primarily be how you kill, using burst cds while the healer’s in cc. perhaps random sheeps or db sheeps with you covering something with an incap or what have you. i’m sure pally can help out with this too.

the monks i face always play disarm, but i play rmp and it’s a useful ability to disrupt our setups.

Due to a lot of Ferals, Hunters and Warriors, Rdruid currently is the best choice for WW closely followed up by Holy Priest.

However if you are not Necrolord, Rogue/Mage might be a problem to fight against however very minor thing.

That’s the weakness of your class you can’t really make them pay for focusing you especially during stun-windows. However outside of that you can avoid a lot damage by using Disable Root/Ring of Peace correctly and use mobility/Fists of Fury during those downtimes.

You have to play with classes which can save you during stun windows and basically help you get alive out of stuns. Mages and Paladins happen to be the best for that.

Important part is to keep your slow up and do consistent damage and basically make space for your Mage. Your key win condition is to get combustion back quickly and then do setups based off that. You can also do called “bad go’s” inbetween with normal cc and try to force something with consistent damage so the next combustion/monk cds go can be lethal.

Important is that you don’t use everything at once. You don’t want to use WoO/Xuen and Combustion at the same time ideally. You will already force defensive CDS just by using one of these cooldowns during cc/stun windows.

Mostly though you will use Combustion in the opener and to improve consistent damage throughput you want to use Weapons of Order/Xuen regardless because you don’t have access to more stuns than legsweep. It all comes down to certain situations tbh.

Also a quick note: When you are kiting you aren’t doing damage which means your team will do no damage because you are the only source of consistent damage. Fire Mage does no damage outside of Combustion or small rune go’s.

With that being said, you can help your mage like mentioned earlier by slowing the team down, using Ring of Peace and in important parts Paralysis/Vivify.

You are not forced to keep the rogue of stealth. While it is important you can’t always prevent it without putting yourself in trouble by doing so. Rogues will always get a restealth in some ways during the game especially with Mage peels. Your team should be helping you in that to keep the rogue in combat.

Also you don’t use Combust to create spread pressure. You use it to create kill windows, which happens by poor defensive usage/position by your enemies. Everything else comes down really what classes you are facing and these are specific other issues/things.

Against Warriors you should always play with Disarm and use it on cooldown with their Warbreaker. This prevents a lot of damage and makes playing vs a warrior a lot easier. It has the same cooldown like your Disarm so you will have it always available whenever he uses it.

In general you should try to always play with Alpha Tiger/Turbo Fists. the 3rd slot is used for Reverse Harm/Disarm/Tigereye Brew.

Since the 9.0.5 nerfs it isn’t really too optimal to play Tigereye Brew anymore even against plate. If you have to tunnel paladins and they don’t have a DK/Warrior/Rogue in their team then Tigereye has value. You basically just need to know when you think Disarm or Tigereye Brew has more value depending which classes you face and how Disarm/Tigereye Brew affects them.

Playing without Alpha Tiger slows down your gameplay rapidly which is not good and makes you way too telegraphed.

Also vs Casters you should use Tigereye Brew regardless against Ele/Boomkins in replacement for Reverse Harm.

If you play with Xuen you should try to min-max depending on situations when you can use Serenity. General rule should be to play Serenity against Mages, Rdruid/Rsham and basically anything which can cuck your images. However there are also situations where it is hard to use Serenity = examples: Warriors Intervene=Parry, Hunter using petsac or in general comps where you have to use many globals to connect.

However even though you can get kited you should always aim to play with Whirling Dragon Punch, it has infinite more value in every way than CDR by Spiritual Focus.

It all comes really down to game awareness to understand what is happening, how they lose/win and based off that you can make decisions what to play e.g. Serenity

2 Likes

thanks thats a looot of tips, ill just come back to this thread from time to time to reread stuff.

This was really helpful!

I have some questions aswell If you dont mind:

• If you play serenity you need to play the full build (with the crit leggo) or you can keep play with the xuen leggo? I have only one legendary atm so my question is if I should go for a 210 crit lego or upgrade the xuen one to 235.
  • Is it normal that in 200 ilvl I just explode by everything? I face ret palas on 1.7 almost in every game I kite their sera + wing as much as I can but on second go I die under a stun within 2 global. If warri intervene me he dies aswell (lol)
  • What def cds should be used at the same time? I mean forti looks really weak on 3 min cd If u use it alone.
  • What the main tax in 3s If you play with a warr? You try to force CD with the first SEF stack alone or you go full xuen SEF OfW and force bigger cds in the opener?
  • What is your suggestion on ring usage? Should it be prio to peel or to knock ppl out of things like barrier, darkness, earthen wall and prevent enemy to kite us?
  • Should I play around alpha tiger buff or is it just a good help to make some pressure when I dont press any burst?

Hey Cutie, I was thinking of something. Is it worth replacing Kyrian with Necrolord? The arena is full of mages, rogues, generally things that can wipe me out in a matter of seconds. Necrolord seems tanky, but I don’t know when it comes to dmg what the difference is.

I play Necro myself on my alt WW, haven’t tested much 3s with it, however got to 2.7 in 2s with necro.

The difference is that you lose a lot of damage but gain a lot of defensive. Bonedust Brew is bugged I believe. But cannot tell really what is bugged about it something is just not working correctly with Bonedust and SEF.

The defensive part is crucial to survive Hunters/Rogues/Warriors and Ferals. I played against Bicmex 3 days ago and survived until 75% dampening just to give you an example how much it really does for WW.

Negatives are however: Cannot play with a Hpal, Holy Priest games are usually harder because you don’t have the same kill potential like you would have on Kyrian.

Trill also used Necro in the tournaments to survive Rogue/Mage in 3s in general I think Necro has much more value in 3s than 2s. But i just switched for fun because WW is anyways a dogtrash melee and I wanted to see how it feels.

I would stay Kyrian but if you want you can try Necro on a 2nd monk and discover for yourself.

Serenity build is only really viable with Xuen’s treasure, apart from that in general I would consider almost to always play Xuen’s Treasure even with SEF. Many good teams will try to fear or CC your xuen which makes you lose a lot of damage, and the haste buff itself is not really worth it in my opinion.

Yes gear is important, especially as WW to gain stamina/versatility.

Deff cds are kinda a joke tbh, of course your main defensive option Karma should always be used but it is more of a shield to give you 1-2 sec time to decide what you do = you port/use diffuse etc.

For a combust you should always have a diffuse at hand, Karma usually won’t be enough to survive it unless you get to port.

Ring should always be used on cooldown when you need it in any situation. Mostly though to peel/connect/kite or knock people down (blades edge e.g.). You kinda cannot afford to hold it for too long. Earthen wall is not too strong in SL anymore, also is the aoe of earthen wall way bigger than Ring which means he can just go back in again. Darkness and Barrier you should use it for it, but you shouldn’t hold it. If you have it available then nice if not then It’s okay.

Should always try to play around it, whenever you get the possibility to get the buff you should have it.

Thank you very much for your help and time !

Thx Cutie. Too bad you don’t make at least some youtube content, guides, games at that lvl :slightly_smiling_face:

The root of your problems seems to be lack of practice. Just keep on queuing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.