You think you do but you dont

Holy crap

J Allen Brack was actually right

I look at forum threads and i see people whinging that they want to buy more boosts and that they dont have time to play

Classic was all about the mage boost because people would rather rush to 60 to raid log than enjoy the adventure again

Lets not forgot people logging off to avoid their world buffs being dispelled from them for that slight raid advantage

We thought we wanted classic

But we really didnt

/thread

3 Likes

No. Only crybabies on the forums want that.

Exactly.
Thanks for reading my post where everything i said equals to what you said

1 Like

During classic i didnt spend a single piece of gold on a mage boost,

I never worked my play time around world buffs, if i was in SW or bootybay at the time then great, but never went out my way for it,

I have been against boosts since the tbc announcement, the adventure is why i play, regardless of how many times i have leveled,

I thought i wanted classic, i did want it and still do.

Edit: this is for the OP

3 Likes

Exactly this.

Not directed at you Fiftycali, but general observation:
There are two kinds of people on the forums. The “complainers” and some “regulars”. The “complainers” are usually the majority. So you always have the forums filled with complaints and demands for changes.

Us “regulars” are here to conter that a little. To show that not everyone shares the point of view of the complainers. But compainers are always the majority. So it’s no wonder this forum looks like this
 while the servers are full and people are happily playing the game without any need for any stupid changes.

And you know why /spit was changed? Because people hated the change with the damn DDE and kept spitting on people that used that stupid Gecko as a mount.

2 Likes

These " complainers " often shoot themselves in the foot or in other words walk in circles with their arguments, for example,

When the boost was announced players were praising it, saying it was great, and then coming onto the forums to complain about all the level 58 boosted rogue bots farming slave pens, kinda ironic, cant have 1 without the other,

People complain about gdkp’s ( i personally dont join gdkp’s ), gdkp’s are fueled by bought gold, where was the gold from? From boosted bots, yet players keep asking for more boost’s,

And oh yes i remember /spit being removed, people were genuinely upset that other players were using an emote on them, an emote thats been used since 2004, i had a spit macro just for BG’s, thanks to a lizard that macro is now gone

1 Like

Well I did - thoroughly enjoying my journey thanks. So that makes your post wrong.

I always feel my work is done when I annoy a complainer on the forums - because by and large their arguments simply boil down to “we want the retail game with classic content and we want to pay to win” - I love trolling the trolls.

I have 1 max level character - I have 3 more 55 to 72 I level slowly - I enjoy the world content and simply hanging out - I have been known to join a dungeon here and there and Raid - its a game for fun.

I logged in org on my mage and a new level 1 asked me for a portal to Dala - I gave him that portal and 100G to get him going - it made me smile and him happy.

Too many folk think WoW is Call of Duty - it’s a shame

1 Like

Not really
If we had more players like you we wouldnt be in this mess

Yeah you can. By employing actual people to monitor their game and strike down on the obvious and blatant botting that they let run rampant for months if not years without taking any real action.

1 Like

People want boosts because they’re tired of sitting in HoS and Co just afk with their bought gold and would prefer just to buy a shop boost. It has no relation to the quote you mentioned. People are lazy and buying gold is so rampart it wouldn’t make any difference if a shop boost was in or not.

We definitely shot ourselves in the foot, hoisted ourselves on our own petard, were architects of our own downfall
 choose your cliche.

To understand how this occurred we need to journey back to OH HERE WE GO AGAIN HE'S GOING TO SAY 'CRAPACLYSM AS-PER-USUAL, AND DRONE ON AND ON ABOUT THE EXPANSION, YES WE GET IT LORRAEN YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT BLAH BLAH BLAH, GIVE US A BREAK - THIS EDIT WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY Editor's Pen (tm)

Please be quiet Editor’s Pen
 I’ve now lost my train of thought, where was I? Oh yeah
 right
 to understand how this happened we have to go back to 2008 and the Wrath of the Lich King era (there, that took you by surprise eh?).

Death by a thousand cuts. Streamlining, QoL, call it what you like, it happened and Wrath very much marked the turning out of the old guard and the coming in of the new guard. Bright eyed, filled with the zealotry that: ‘end game should be for everyone, not just an elite few, end content should be accessible to all’ the new dev team made changes, and Wrath unsurprisingly broke sales and subscription record. Gone were the days of long attunments, niche content completed by less than 5% of the player base, insane rep grinds and all the other roadblocks of vanilla and TBC. Now everyone could raid, and raid they did.

Getting tier gear was as easy as joining an automated dungeon queue, everyone could have epics, and the gawp-factor of that strutting guy in Ironforge showing off his l33t purples was a thing of the past.

The game was now accessible, but to get there, cuts had to be made, compromises had to be made. Other elements of the game had to be streamlined, so as to more easily funnel the players into the new end game.

Flash forward to 2012 and the hated
 Cataclysm
 (there, happy?) expansion and the New Devs were on a roll, and that roll translated largely of: ‘slash and burn’.

They’d seen how successful those cuts, streamlining and accessibility had made their game, and so their solution was 'more of it, lot’s more!’

If it worked in a small way, it must work in a big way, right?

Wrong.

Inexorably, server numbers dwindled, guilds disbanded, people left, subscriptions divebombed. What went wrong? Surely focussing the game almost entirely upon end game, and dilluting everything else besides raiding was what people wanted, right?

Well not exactly.

You see, by changing the old world that millions had effectively ‘grown up’ in. By super-streamlining the game, by effectively making the entire game into a one-trick pony, something within WoW died. It was difficult to define, few could express what it was, but it felt like something was missing. Sure everyone could, and did raid, sure everyone had purples, even Legendaries - sure getting into end game had never been easier, but somehow it felt like the heart and soul had gone from the game, but it was very difficult to mentally process precisely what was wrong. You couldn’t really describe it in words, it just felt
 off
 Our actions within WoW now felt mechanical, we went through the motions of playing, but never really feeling it on an emotional level.

Meanwhile, the curious phenomenon of private servers was taking off in a big way. Many players swarmed to them, wanting to re-experience the magic of the old game that they could no longer play. But these people were no longer the same people that had stood newbish and wide eyed at the gates of Orgrimmar in 2006. They were jaded, they knew it all, every puzzle was completed, there were no more mysteries to solve,

So they did what came naturally, and focussed on end game content.

You cannot easily recapture the way you felt back when you were a total noob, gaping at the massive scope of this magical new world you were witnessing around you for the first time. You cannot easily re-capture the emotional connection we felt toward those days of yore, it felt different now, because we were different.

And so, of course when WoW Classic was announced we all shrieked: #NOCHANGES and called for the days of our childhood to be revisited.

But there were changes, because we had changed.

The puzzle solved, the mystery revealed, we were no longer strangers in a strange land, but commuters on a familiar journey to end game - so we did what came naturally to us and we focussed on end game. Buoyed up by years of practice on our private servers, the absolute quickest, most effective, most efficient tactics memorised pat, and acted upon without hesitation.

We raced through the levelling content and breakneck speed, skipping anything that could be skipped, boosting ourselves through dungeons because it was faster and more efficient. We’d been taught this lesson by the New Dev team years ago, and we’d learned our lesson well. We blitzed through end game content like lightning, as it was the done thing
 it was the meta, it’s what everyone did. The Big Streamers championed the cause, sermonising to us from their Youtube pulpits, and we were their eager flocks.

We rushed through our new/old game, and we wasted the opportunity that was given to us.

‘Re-experience the wonder of your childhood’, was the prize on offer, and instead we chose to blast through the streets we grew up in on a souped-up turbo-charged racer, those streets a mere blur through a window already grimy with dust.

And we keep on doing it.

3 Likes

He knew that people don’t want a 15 year old game back, (from a technology PoV) he knew that nostalgia and memories are a treacherous thing.

People tend to remember the past more positively than it in reality ever was, or to outright put it on a pedestal. Best example is the 80s/90s. Did the 80s/90s have their good things? Yes. Would I go back to it? HELL, no. Neither as a kid, nor as my now adult self. The world got so much better in all those years.

The thing is that people don’t want the game back, they want all back that they associate with the time at which they played the game, i.e. their age/friends/circumstances, etc. And obviously Blizzard can’t give that back.

Then these 40-somethings play the games from their school days but soon they realize that it’s not the same, because it can’t be the same.

Look at WotLK, the servers are already dead, you can only experience something ONCE.

no - I’m not buying it

I’d have the 80’s back any day of the week because my dad was still alive - and I’d love the 90’s to be erased from history so I never met and married my ex-wife - that’s the real world.

People wanted to play WoW Classic - not some illegitimate child of WoW Classic.

Blizz have done the best they can - and keeping RDF and pay to Win Shop Features at bay keeps it not a bad current iteration.

But stop pretending that it has to match Retail features in 2022 - because it does not

idc if you buy something or not, as I’m not selling something.

You’re right here. People wanted to play WoW Classic - play it as it was ingrained in their memory. Which is impossible, because all was already experienced and uncovered, the mystery is gone. The excitement they had from playing back in the day is still lingering in people’s minds, nothing more or less. Just like the kicks you got from the dial-up sound of that 56k modem you got for christmas. But it’s just that, memories. Are you excited by internet access today? No, it’s everywhere, it’s rather obnoxious.

You are trying very hard to sell your concept that the romance is gone and show WotLK should have all the retail features.

you failed

I grew up with Dial up and ISDN - and now I have Gigabit Cable into the house.

I grew up with ZX80 - ZX81 - BBC Micro etc

I sold Apollo Computers and DEC Mainframe Accessories in the 80’s.

I installed some of the first WYSE Linux systems into offices, and had a capable home network with its own server in 2002.

None of this makes WoW Classic any less alluring as a relived experience - the only thing getting in the way is go get 'em streamer wannabe’s and min/maxers who don’t want Classic - but just want to speed run and show off - that’s called Retail

Except what you said was he was right, when the forums represent <5% of the playerbase at best and not even here people say it so again the people in game are doing the exact opposite, disproving everything you said.

A small minority of folk are trying to make the game something it isn’t.

The forums are the same - a small and vocal group come here daily asserting they are right and everybody else is wrong.

I’ll give you some free advice that will help you in the future - an unhappy customer will tell at least 10 other people how unhappy they are and will take to review sites and forums to spread the bad news about their experience.

A Happy customer will enjoy what they ordered and say nothing unless asked to post a review.

You are one of the Unhappy customers alongside the regular trolls - the paladin, The Night Elf and the Sky Watcher - you amuse me greatly

I am not unhappy, i am disagreeing with the OP ?

in which case I apologise unreservedly - I thought you had responded to my push against the trolls.

Accept my apology - you are one of the few forum White Knights

1 Like