Your class in Classic vs Retail

For anyone who’s played the same class in Classic as in Retail, what are the biggest changes that you’ve noticed? What did you like the most/least?

Having played Hunter in both Retail and Classic, I can list some of the biggest changes I’ve felt with the class.

Retail Hunter pros:

• Much more fluid gameplay, the ability to move and auto attack at the same time makes the whole class feel a lot more fluid and dynamic to play overreal.

Retail Hunter cons:

• Gutted RPG elements. The removal of ammunition, quivers and a majority of ‘miscellaneous’ abilities really cheapens the whole class fantasy. One might call hunter bullets and warlock soulstones for unnecessary busywork, but for me it really did add to the class immersion.
  • The removal of having both melee and ranged weapons. Which was a bummer, as I quite enjoyed being able to pull out a huge friggin sword and punish anyone who got too close. Raptor Striking a cocky mage that comes in too close was always a joy of mine, and again; reduces the immersion and RPG element.

Then there are ‘filler abilities’ like Cobra Shot, that doesn’t feel like they add anything meaningful to the class except more buttons to spam, as if the developers thought players suffered from ADHD and would get bored if they couldn’t spam buttons every GCD(although that might be true in some cases I suppose).

That said, although I dislike how streamlined and ‘arcadey’ the Retail Hunter is compared to its Classic counterpart, it is still a joy to play as a hunter, as the class plays so smoothly and is easier than even a Demon Hunter to play; being able to attack from 0-40 yards and not even having to stand still to perform your rotation; so I’ll give the developers credit for that. And the fact I can top DPS meters is fun, as opposed to classic where even with perfect play you could not hope to top the meter on most fight.

What about you guys? What good/bad have you found about your class experience in retail vs classic?

3 Likes

I quit during WotLK and came back for Classic.

I gave an attempt at levelling a Paladin but got to level 3 and decided that it wasn’t for me. Spells have been changed too much (Judgement being turned in a mini HoW on CD) even if I looked forward to get the Holy Power stuff I didn’t feel anything that told me I was playing a Paladin and not a spellish-warrior.

They took my healing touch in legion prepatch ;

I wanted it back ;

So i picc DROOD in classic too ;

:sob:

I stopped during TBC for several reason and came back years later at the end of Legion, with the same Paladin. I didn’t play that much, probably 9 months, too many features I disliked and I felt pretty lost after all these years. But I remember enjoying what they’ve done with the HPal, the animations were great and the Beacon of Light was a really nice new ability. I don’t know what is the state of the game right now, I heard they will bring back auras and few Vanilla features for Shadowlands, it could be interessting and I’ll probably give it a go for the sake of curiosity.

My class in retail is absolute garbage unless you have best in slot gear and people healing you or a godly friendy guild and even then there are better anythyng than warrior.

My class is classic is(imho) fantastic, didn’t get pruned and nerfed to oblivion and i can feel the sense of progression like when you start getting around level 35 and it then goes way faster, a lot of statistic didn’t get removed and there is the talent tree and the player base evolved so there are new template than what was seen years ago and warrior are usefull in classic.

Oh and one last poke you almighty never understood godly lead designer: I get challenging shout at level 26 in classic at level 26 you get that ?

I didn’t have to pay 40 bucks to get it restaured just for a small gentle and polite exemple !

Fun to read through your responses here, guys, thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

When it comes to my Druid in Classic, I do miss an out of combat ressurection spell, some kind of Fade and an AoE heal.

But I really do like the more simple playstyle, the return of Mark of The Wild buff, Soothe, and that I can, in fact, do it all, and be a hybrid. The Class Quests was something I looked so much forward to. The class fantasy is high on the list for me.

I am with you there Lithrielle - on my Hunter Alt, having to feed my bear, and stock up on arrows and what not, really adds to the game. I like it so much! :paw_prints:

Ah, what can I say…Classic \o/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.