Battle.net client elevated prompt keeps popping up

Hi,

Since the last few days my battle.net client keeps popping up every few xx mins/hours to request elevated prompt (Windows 11).

Anyone else noticing this same behavior?

It even happens during gameplay like running keys etc which is very annoying. When it happens I don’t see anything getting updated orso.

Running battle.net as admin (always) will probably resolve the matter but haven’t tried it. Also never did this before so it is weird if I should use this method to get around it.

Yes… this is also being reported by a few players on the US region.

1 Like

Thanks, didn’t checked there unfortunately.

But I also reinstalled my Windows11 installation because I replaced my mainboard last week. That’s the common factor those other users also did (reinstalled windows).

Would be nice to get a blue post confirmation.

1 Like

Yes… would be nice… but don’t hold your breath.

This forum is for feedback and suggestions on the Battle.Net launcher; Blizzard seldomly replies here.

Best of luck with this.

Same issue here. I wasn’t having it before reinstalling Win11, but I needed to do some heavy maintenance to my PC and made a fresh install. After reinstalling bnet and all the games the bug started happening.
It’s so much fun having that popup spawning right in the middle of a teamfight while playing zen in Overwatch. Very, very, very fun, thanks.

I tried the latest beta client but same problem (2.34.0.14908 (beta)

I would recommend everyone to also file a bugreport. You can do that from within the battle.net client in the menu. I highly doubt this forum is actively being monitored or taken seriously by the battle.net devs. Make sure to reference these topics as well.

4 Likes

Getting it here too on W11, in the middle of games, watching videos etc. Can confirm same activity on wifey’s W10 PC and even on my 'nix laptop. Something is not updating correctly and re-trying it seems. Reported as a bug via client

2 Likes

This has started happening to me since I did a factory reset of my Windows 11 PC a few days ago. Every few hours the battle net update agent keeps popping up asking for permissions.

Starting to get really annoying, not gonna hold my breath for a fix or any help anytime soon tho so I’ll just keep completely closing battle.net after I’ve used it to launch games :blush:

I have the same on a computer with windows 10 that hasn’t been reinstalled since 2020, and that was just an upgrade from windows 10 home to professionnal. I upgraded from windows 8.1 without réinstalling in 2016.

Not sure how any windows update or installation can be an issue for a permission request to go administrator although there is no use for that. It makes me feel like my battle.net installation is infected.

If there is a real use to authorize bnet to go admin, please make the message explain why at least, and stop it from coming systematically over my game screen when I play…imagine on a hardcore character on diablo to have this alt + tab behaviour every half hour or so forcibly interrupting your game without pausing it.

As a software engineer myself, my understanding is that such an issue should be critical and fixed ASAP as it damages the user experience, the user’s trust as well as the company’s reputation…
I can see tickets mentionning this issue more than 6 months old. Talk about criticity…

1 Like

Rigth now… the only workaround that seems to work is to exit Battle.Net after launching the game… either manually, or by using the options in settings. That is a band aid solution at best.

You should also report it as a bug, as suggested by @Raven above .

Unfortunately, this forum isn’t the official Battle.Net Launcher’s Bug Report forum and bugs reported here may or may not be escalated to the Devs by the Blizzard moderators. (that’s not really their job)

For some reason, recent battle.net installations are not registering executable with elevated privileged to execute, so it agent update requires elevated privileges everytime it wants to run.

To workaround it, if you only open bnet to start your game, you can just setup bnet client to close when you open the game.
If you maintain the launcher always open, another alternative is to enable compatibility settings for Battle.net Launcher.exe enabling the opton “Run this program as administrator” in Compatibility tab of the executable.

Note that it’s workarounds, it’s Blizzard fault and they should fit it.

Same issue here, I am from Mexico and this started since a couple of days back.

Looking at the details of the pop up, looks like is a file in C:/ProgramData folder.

July 1st and the issue is still happening, nothing has changed…

Yea it sucks.
They always mentioned that they do monitor the forums. Yet not blue post to confirm the issue or at least looking into it. It’s probably not taking seriously for a while since they don’t have enough (bug)reports and for now they just blame it on our systems. While the issue is easy to reproduce if they take the time to test it on a clean win11 system. Everything points out that this issue start when ppl (re)installed their system with a clean Windows.

—Edit
They confirmed on X that they’ve seen the reports and is being investigated. I guess we have to wait but at least they confirmed it (blizz support)