Diablo 2 and LOD CD KEY ERRORS and installer issues

Hi there,

I have 2 physical copies of Diablo 2 . I had the game installed on laptop and then paid for and downloaded LOD - tried to install but got an error message. Looked up the error and noted that the downloadable LOD doesn’t work with physical install of D2 - you have to have both physical CDS or both as download files. SO I uninstall D2 and download the installer after I registered my CD key from physical copy. However despite seemingly recognising teh CD key and saying success I have registered it, the installer comes up with error saying not a valid cd key. It is not logged in elsewhere, and I ive typed it manually and copy pasted it several times - definitely written accurately, but no joy. Getting pretty fed up as just spent £9 on LOD and can’t use it - even though I had Diablo 2. I actually own physical copy of LOD as well but using it on another laptop so buying a second copy for this one :frowning: HELP!!!

Hello,

I can see you claimed both D2 and LoD keys on your Blizzard account successfully. However, your base D2 key is a US key this means you have to select the correct client/language when installing the game.

Completely uninstall Diablo II from your system, then go here. Scroll down to the Diablo II client download and, before getting it, change the locale using the cogwheel icon below the game title and select English(US).

Thank you - this helped get D2 and LOD installed. However now I cannot logon to battlenet. I clicked on battlenet and immediately got the downloading patch screen as expected. Then it got basically 100% then crashed saying: patching cannot be completed because the patch archive is corrupt. File name D2XP_IX86_1xx_114d.mpq. Blizzard BNUpdate v2.72 compiled on Oct 16 2003
Log created at 1:30 pm on 02/22/2020

ERROR: unable to open archive ‘D2XP_IX86_1xx_114d.mpq’

RESULT: Patch failed
Blizzard BNUpdate v2.72 compiled on Oct 16 2003
Log created at 1:30 pm on 02/22/2020

ERROR: unable to open archive ‘D2XP_IX86_1xx_114d.mpq’

RESULT: Patch failed

Hello LYRA,

This archive error is usually simply resolved by closing the game and launching it again. This will force pick up the update.

If the problem persists:

If running the application as administrator fails, most often another permissions issue is happening. The following troubleshooting may be beneficial.

1 Like

Hello!

I have claimed Diablo II cd key and installed it, but i cant claim my LOD cd key, because its already have been claimed. Any ideas?

Hey NickSTO,

This guide should help you, so follow those steps or the related sub-guides that are specific to your case.

Keep in mind that if your LOD key was actually really claimed on a different person account there is nothing we can do and you will need to purchase a new game key. This is cause back in the days those key could have been shared with other persons and we have no control over it.

1 Like