Diablo II Battlenet checking version

Hi
I have a problem connecting to bnet in Diablo 2 LoD 1.14d.
I installed a fresh copy just now using the installers from blizzard and my own cdkeys.
I launch the game, enter battle.net and at first it goes through “checking version” in a second and starts to update.
After that I try to connect and It gets stuck on “checking version”, after a few seconds i get a message BattleNet is nor responding. Please try again in a few minutes".
I do not use VPN or anything.

What is the deal here?

This can happen sometimes which is why we have a Support Article with how to go about solving the problem, when this is a Technical Issue.

However I investigated this further, and I can confirm you’re under a Temporary Restriction which will expire on the 13th of April. You won’t be able to Play Diablo II until that time.

I’m really sorry about that, if you have any questions about the restriction we can’t provide any further information on it, please see the forum thread I linked about it above.

Look at all the reasons you can be banned. This list at a minimum should be shown to players who install or buy the game so that you at least have a warning of what might get you banned, so you dont just stumble into a ban like I and many others did