Warcraft 3 Classic Won't Start

Just bought warcraft 3 reforged and was thinking to replay Warcraft 3 Classic campaing, but sadly can’t even open Warcraft3.exe, screen goes black for a second and ‘the application encountered an unexpected error’ popup. I have tried to reinstall everything fresh but same error occurs, I have tried to ‘disable’ all ‘Startup’ programs, I have tried updating all drivers and windows update, but keep getting same error, I have tried filling Technical Support form, but send button is grey out, can’t send. Maybe someone encountered same issues and knows a solution? Not sure what to do next…

Report ID: 60E9995D-208D-499C-9B75-3C98E4409FD4

Given that you have tried already the basic steps that would normally resolve this, we’ll need to know a bit more about the PC before looking into this further.

If you can generate system files for us then copy them over to a website like Pastebin, you can then provide links to your files in this very forum thread. To post links, use the </> symbol when typing out your response :slight_smile:

Hi, thank you for your response, here’s my files:

MsInfo https://pastebin.com/nwqcu3qt
DxDiag https://pastebin.com/qwTQSM4w

Hey Pain

Thanks to the files you provided us I would suggest that you try to update your Windows to the latest version and consider upgrading your graphics processor for a better performance.

I would also suggest that you follow all the steps on this guide.
Another step you can also try below those steps is:

. force the game to start in Windowed mode by adding in the “Target” field add -graphicsapi Direct3D9-w at the end.
It will look something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" -graphicsapi Direct3D9-w

Hopefully this will solve the issue :slight_smile:

Well there is not much i can do with updates, seems everything is uo to date. It’s really a good idea to try it as ‘windowed’ mode as you mentioned above, I have tried ‘-graphicsapi Direct3D9-w’ and just ‘windowed’ but it didn’t work. I just discovered that after reinstalling game and just after installation if i press launch it will start game in full screen, but once you quit game you cannot start it again, same error. So I have tried after that first launch in fullscreen go to options and select windowed and save it, and after that when i quit game and started it again, it works! starts in windowed mode, still not sure why can’t run it in full screen:D but at least it works. No lags, no crashes, no anythings bad, just tried a couple of campaing missions and everything works as i remember playing it ~8 years ago. Thank you very much guys for your help and time! This topic might help someone in the future, with same trouble where couldn’t start game. Topic can be closed.

The same thing problem, cannot open the game after installing because a window pop up every that says unexpected error. I dont know why I have this problem because WOW work perfecly. I’m very very disapppointed about the game…

39DBE0B2-18B0-4B2D-A090-01408463004B