Warzone FISHING by accepting someone's friendship request?

Hello.

*** I couldn’t find another option to send this kind of message to Activision so, please, forward it to the right department ***

Yesterday, I received a friend request in Warzone which I accepted as it looked like a portuguese player (miguelsilva259#7612537).
As soon as I clicked “accept” in the game I received an email in my gmail account (the same I use to register my Warzone game) from “Activision / Blizzard” saying:

«Hello AlenTexano#*******,

This message is a confirmation that you are now friends with miguelsilva259#7612537.

If you did not add or accept this user as a friend, please log in to your account and change your password immediately, and we also recommend removing this user from your in-game friend lists.
Please also review our tips for keeping your account secure.»

Immediately, I removed the player from my friends list but didn’t click on any of the given links in that email as I thought it was a scam regarding the details in that message:

«from: ACTIVISION BLIZZARD INC <activisionblizzardin-mkt-prod1#adobe-campaign (dot) com>
reply-to: ACTIVISION BLIZZARD INC <activisionblizzardin-mkt-prod1#adobe-campaign (dot) com>
to: **************** #gmail (dot) com
date: Jul 17, 2021, 4:56 PM
subject: New Friend Confirmation
mailed-by: adobe-campaign (dot) com
security: Standard encryption (TLS) Learn more»

How is it possible that accepting someone in the game Warzone gives them access to my email address (personal data)???

Please take note of this security issue.

Best regards,

Alentexano

4 Likes

I just received the same exact email today after I had friend requested someone and minutes later I got the email, removed them off my friends list immediately and thought it was odd. Apparently I didn’t have 2 factor on so I just put that on, on another tab.

1 Like

I got the exact same Mail. Didn’t even accept a friend request in Warzone though. The strangest part is, that the Mail was apparently sent by the official activision mail. At least it is written exactly the same. Removed this friend and I can still login. Nevertheless, it is very strange…

2 Likes

After this happened I noticed that whenever someone sends me a friend request, I get that same email each time. I don’t know if this is a bug issue :confused: . Also, I have 2 factor on and I tried to change my password just in case but the website wouldn’t go through all the way in the process of changing it.

This has been happening to me for over a month. They keep adding themselves and I have to log into my warzone account and remove them. I don’t even get how this is possible. Anyone have any way to stop this? I changed my password, added 2FA, etc. Nothing has stopped it. I talked to activision via ticket and they legit said “your account is fine”. Is it though? Cause it sure doesn’t feel like it.

2 Likes

Yeah like I don’t know what to believe if the email is legit or not. I was finally able to change my password today just in case. I’m not sure what else we could do about it.

This needs way more attention. I got the same, and I am now afraid my account got hijacked. Changed my password and all, but still have the fear.

I got the same mail yesterday 9ish PM. It has the same format and it seems it’s from a Latin American “pro” player. I googled the name and linked me to his instagram.
I don’t know if this it’s a kind of “hack” to reach more people because I didn’t accepted him and it’s on my friendlist because by that time I wasn’t playing CoD at all, I was in WoW.

SAME.

I have been getting 3-10 emails a day saying I am now friends with someone. I looked all over Activision support and there is no way I can even email them. It is so frustrating. I finally filled out their stupid survey to try to get help. I am so frustrated.

I have NEVER even sent a friend request or added someone through Activision or Blizzard because I am on XBOX.

i just had the exact same mail after accepting a friend request… and for some weird reason im not able to change my activision password… same goes for blizzard… but the game still runs fine… thats so strange…

Looks like the scammers are spoofing the real Activision email address. Just ignore the emails or block them.

Please don’t bump old threads. These are the Blizzard Classic Games Tech forums, and not a discussion board for Call of Duty related topics. Thoughts about Activision games can be sent to https://support.activision.com/.