Missunderstanding - What is actually "The Authentic Diablo 2 Experience"?

True. But that is maybe already a little too extreme, especially when you are constantly at risk of dying because of some technical difficulties.

For someone like me, who really just wants the same experience, but prettier, D2R is almost there, I would change just few little things like:

• I find font lackluster in places and the game should have the option to make it even bigger (some ui elements like skills could be bigger too).
  • new location of menu bar is less convenient when you have muscle memory, we should have the option to leave it as it was
  • pentagrams in menu, you might find them silly but they do have their charm
  • teleporting could be a bit faster… I know I can put the game on ssd but its not like its throwing terrabytes of data, right? Overall performance should be far less demanding
3 Likes

It is hard knowing what to touch or not… I like the extra stash space, but I dislike that you can now respec. Rather than having to play through to level 30 in ridiculous specs to not waste points in wrong skills, you can now just pick a cookie cutter spec and respec later. To test, I used to play each class through normal without picking any skills at all, to be able to backup the offline savegame and test out different specs ;D

It’s impossible to recreate the original experience. Back then the game was new, there was not much of a community online and you tested, theorycrafted and created your own specs. I guess now most people are just checking online for a good one. A lot of the replayability came from having to start over to try and find a better spec.

I typically just play solo, so I don’t have an opinion of personal loot or not. But I assume at least now I can play online without getting toons deleted if I don’t play them in 90 days. No point in playing hardcore offline where I can backup the savegame, but annoying to lose my toons online too.

I’ve played D2 a ton… But only with gear I found myself and specs I created myself, and I never made it past level ~80 and never managed to make myself a build to solo hell actV after they upped the difficulty, until I found the skelemancer… But having lots of gear to find I don’t have and having challenges still in the game is what keeps me coming back.

1 Like

Dont worry changes will come , keeping the authentic experience was the selling point to get ppl , the game wont hold by today stanards, and the forums are filled with small minded dinosaurs who like old ppl afraid to make changes, The devs already sent surveys asking for changes ( dinos ignore that point like it didnt happened) 70-85% of ppl in those surveys ask for changes that those vocal dinos battle ( again they try to make it like we are the minority), Devs said they will continue to support the game (again they dont even know what that means since they played the same abandoned game 20 years)
If you speak against the game you are new player, i played the game when i was 16, back then it was good but my interest in d2 later in the years came with mods that fixed the game and made it more modern, what i want is an official bliz mod and they can also introduce it in a d2rplus experience even tho i dont think dinos diserve it anymore since they are vocal and rude and they dont want their fun they want to ruin your fun , but i hope they get it

There are 2 routes you can go in this game , either a cash grab b4 d4 then abandon it and modders keep it alive again for 20 years (median xl is already out and gain popularity and it shouldnt) Or Support it with changes , find ways as a company to make money even and devs can keep their jobs, forum moderators can keep their jobs, old d2 vanilla was a really small community, other games that standed for 20 years or more have bigger communities, plus most of us (either they want to accept it or not) who played the game as kids and kept a hype through the years have been played modded .

Now the dinos will attack us and bite , but lets all w8 either next blizcon or a year when they will announce the first changes and the form of them , and we will have the last laugh, and Dont feed the dinos

1 Like

For a real authentic experience we need to make cows great again, bring back cow and trade channels. Also builds prior to 1.10 need to be buffed back to its former glory, especially physical builds but also FO and Nova sorc.

Also make it again so that you only need to be in the same area to receive EXP, this was soooo much better.

1 Like

Who cares about personal loot , when most of us ask for changes , we ask for charm inventory, maybe a skill buff so another build can be viable, maybe an new endgame goal like ubbers (pd2 map system was nice smthing like that) , adjust some runewords maybe or add new middle and early runewords ,
For me i dont care about ploot but i would love to use /players 2-8 command online , not cause suddently i will be drown in jah’s and ber’s for the difficulty alone and maybe the slight chance to get smthing better, also b4 you battle that doing solo p8 at hell means you already dont need anything , you cant go even p3 undergear just to get some more loot

Why ploot is such a topic that make all changes look bad makes me mad

1 Like

What do you have against in keeping this mode as it is and they bring a new experience in a d2rplus mode , will it hurt you?

1 Like

The authentic is the Progress System. Each time u play u have progress. When u want to be so strong like the srongest party member u have to reach their game-experience. Without it (around months or years playing d2) u shouldn’t excpect that u are fast so strong like them.

New Players without d2 knowledge plays in nightmare a long time till they discover how to optimize their gameplay.

And yes, for to be rich / buy the high-end equip u need to invest much time and do many many runs. It’s not done in a week. Not even when u playing 31, because in d2 it’s not raining items. We talk about month till years to have all thegood stuff u see in youtube videos.

When u are to weak (or without the knowledge how to farm with low budget) on hell go a step back and play on nm.

D2 is not done in a week. Not done in a month. Of course, today there are enough experienced players who do it rly fast. But i would bet, that most of them played the old d2 some years before. And that they invest very much time in d2r till now.

So u see, d2 is not braindead easy like d3. That is what we like, the old- (but gold) school progress and the item-hunt. :metal:t4:

Short:
U want items? Play solo.
U want much exp? Play in a group.

Just don’t expect that u will get both (much exp & items) and all will be okay.

Edit:
Another authentic point is to,decide what u want. Do u want a strong ranged char who kill many monsters rly fast but like u said - ranged chars has a lesser chance to grab the dropped items, or do u want to play a melee char, which has bettet chance to grab items but a much lesser killing speed.

Same with mf and power.
More mf but less power.
Or
More power but less mf.

And so on.

At least, that is the goal, u have from all of it enough. But till u reached the point, that is the game. The progress item hunt with meaningfull decisions.

3 Likes

Define easy? D2 is easy to beat , kill baal and just takes forever and trades to kill baal even easier, D3 is easier to get gear, but some builds require skill coordination and they are hard to play or even master and greater rifts above 131 require skill. I beaten d2 hell baal solo in 10 days without trades with a sorceress, yeah it takes me 75 secs to kill him but after anddariel runs mephisto runs i can make it 20 sec , maybe a trade (even tho i like getting my own staff) I play both d2 and d3 but i am not mindless fan boy of d2, d2 is not hard, its actuallyy easy, d2 is endless farm to maybe get an upgrade hard

1 Like

Go try ubers. And with it i mean the full process. Farming keys,farming organs and last kill the ubers. When u got all of it by urself u could go to do pvp.

To kill baal solo on hell is not bad, but there are bigger goals as this.

And yes, comparing d2 with other games maybe it isn’t a hard game (but to understand the whole synergies of stats, skills,items, runes etc. / item drop chances / brain-map ways / and so on it is a long way). To doing ubers as a smiter is not hard too. But comparing with mushroom-colourfull d3 it still is. dIII is easy enough for braindeads. Just same (g)rifts and bountys with raining items from the sky. Rly boring!

Maybe u are right that u need a lil bit skill to farm the gr 131+ but i don’t like to play that colourfull game anymore so i can’t say. But the last times i played it was rly ez. And d2r is a way more complex at all.

2 Likes

Few classes can solo ubers i have done that not in d2r yet but i will do it again , pvp not my cup of tea, I play both games current time, you are not , i dont know when you stopped d3 and why , if that helps you i am on off to this game , Today d3 for me is a good game, it could be better, d2 is a good game and it could be better too . Its colorful ok i agree it doesnt have the same atmosphere as d2 but its not a valid point on difficulty . Atm D2 is easier than D3, D2 atmopshere is better than D3 , Both games have good and bads and D4 will take best of d2 an best of d3 and we will see if thats ok, D2 needs some more goals tho rather than farm farm farm

2 Likes

it is just a suggestion, im not great fan of personal loot myself. i think there are much better ways to encourage people to farm together and finally have fun farming dozen of hours - the joy of solo farming session keeps dropping steadily, i bet most players think like that.

PLoot does not make the game easier. You’re either being mischievous saying that, or you don’t understand how PLoot works. PLoot would be an absolutely fantastic feature to help make the game accessiblw to more players, which is exactly what Blizzard said they want to do with it.

1 Like

the problem about this is that making the game more accessible mostly means making it more casual…ploot is ok, but the way it works in wow or diablo 3 will not fit for d2r in my opinion.

Respec was actually added to the original game in patch 1.13 which released in 2010 (yes they were still updating the game then).

To me this leads to an interesting question: what is the authentic Diablo experience? Is it before the XP gain was nerfed? Or is it patch 1.10 where physical damage got to the point you may as well just have a sorc to farm with until you can get top tier items for your physical characters since melee was just a chore compared to nuking a room with a sorc? Or is it 1.14d, the latest patch that came out in 2016?

1 Like

Nothing of it. The real d2 experience was in 1.09 and before. After patch 1.09 the community changed, because with the big patch1.10 the new ladder modus was integrated with new runewords and so on.

As a result from it the trade was broken, cause a big inflation. For what we played years - all of it was nothing worth anymore. So many players like me was burned out from it.

Okay i was wrong, after a few month later after 1.10 release the old accounts was not worthless anymore but … i already gave nearly all off my (now non-ladder) stuff away and didn’t logged in for over 90 days. all was gone.
I think that happend to much player so we could break up with our d2 addiction.

But a new generation of d2 players started with 1.10, some of them played it till today.

So i would say, something between it (1.09 and 1.10) is the authentic original.
Infinite respecs (like we have in 1.14) of course is not the original game and i’m sad about it. 3 q.respecs better as no respecs, okay. But infinite with worthless tokens? … not good at all

try to change your view about this: the experienced player will never need a token. but new players who will easily fuck up their build more than 3 times are glad to have them. helping new players to get slightly easier into the game is a good thing - that doesnt change the difficulty of the game at all. there WILL be people abusing respec for sure, but at most its a good thing as it is in my opinion.

1 Like

Back in the prime time of D2, we had clans for this. We planned, organized and communicated. 8 player groups were often all clan members that knew what drops were needed by which group members. If something like a shako dropped or a high rune, everyone would roll for it.
Clans/guilds are much easier to form on original D2 however since the chat system is a lot better. Private clan channels with clan bot admins that moderated the channel and had / commands to provide information.
I’d like to see them add, if anything, the ladder system & chat/channel system that the original game already has. If they were to add anything new, some sort of clan system to make it easier for members to party up, find each other, etc would be quality and also wouldn’t change the core game mechanics what so ever.

Shared stash is a good example of creativeness without breaks authentic so much.

Remove the cow king kill permanent disable you to open cow level is another one

Remove de pindlesky portal permanenr close is another imorovement welcome.

But no. I can not agree with deep change of mechanics like for example loot for range. A range char is taking 0 risk and thats why they are far away both from action/risk and from loot as well. If you want to assume some risk on critical moment you are able too approach to the action. Also enigma exists

I actually wrote a post porposing another non insivasive change that is the game recreation without abandon a party and create a nre one that will enchance both user experiencie and server performance. You cab take a look abd coment about at Suggest: Recreate world button

i was for shared stash but now i feel it was a mistake. it is to easy to share gear, i dont feel the need to farm/buy 5 shakos, multiple 35%fcr spirits, enigmas etc. On the side note and it is a personal problem it activated my inner hoarder and i feel forced to pick up every lvl20 set/unique and create 10 mules to hold all that useless crap.